User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transmission Question

Getting close to pulling the trigger on a 2018 3500 Ram Bighorn with an Aision Transmission... My concern is that I hear rumblings about Rams and transmission problems... Any feedback to help me steer one way or the other or quell my concerns ?? I need to make sure its the right move... Already having to explain a TV swap in under 2 years … Pulling a 2019 303RLS

Thanks in advance !!
    2018 RAM 3500 SLT 4x4 6.7L
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    USMC-Ret

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Aisin is Rams heavy duty transmission from what I have read. Only complaints I have heard was early on and that was rough shifting and a low first gear. Low first gear should help with taking off from a stop so I wouldn’t say that is bad. Never personally drove one. I tow with the Ram 68rfe transmission. It’s a little clunky but does the job. My next Ram will have the Aisin. I also believe when you get the Aisin you get the high output motor which gives a little more torque and horse power.

http://www.dieselhub.com/compare/aisin-vs-68rfe.html
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2016 Ram 3500 with the AISIN transmission and have had no problems at all. I have a Momentum 349M that I drag around with it and previously had a pretty good sized travel trailer and have had no problems with either one. Temps never go up on it even during summer on long hard pulls.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought a ‘19 3500 DRW with the AISIN. So far so good, hardly notice it shifting.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Aisin is the preferable tranny. I think it's like something you'd find in a medium size truck.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccorrie View Post
    Getting close to pulling the trigger on a 2018 3500 Ram Bighorn with an Aision Transmission... My concern is that I hear rumblings about Rams and transmission problems... Any feedback to help me steer one way or the other or quell my concerns ?? I need to make sure its the right move... Already having to explain a TV swap in under 2 years … Pulling a 2019 303RLS

Thanks in advance !!
    Sooooo... I ended up with the Ram 3500 SLT without the Aisin Tranny, and felt very-very comfortable with the first pull. The 3500 is a beast and way more than i would ever need to pull the 303 RLS... (love it)... BUT... back to the dealership for service already... After disconnecting the trailer, i tackled a short hill about 150 yards long and about 6 degree slope... just to try the 4x4... Now the darn thing is stuck in 4 wheel High (LOCKED) and the Service 4 Wheel Drive System light is on... It's always something...
    2018 RAM 3500 SLT 4x4 6.7L
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    USMC-Ret

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sooooo... I ended up with the Ram 3500 SLT without the Aisin Tranny, and felt very-very comfortable with the first pull. The 3500 is a beast and way more than i would ever need to pull the 303 RLS... (love it)... BUT... back to the dealership for service already... After disconnecting the trailer, i tackled a short hill about 150 yards long and about 6 degree slope... just to try the 4x4... Now the darn thing is stuck in 4 wheel High (LOCKED) and the Service 4 Wheel Drive System light is on... It's always something...

Congrats on the new truck! Sorry it’s back to the shop but glad you tried it now and it didn’t work and not later.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Man what a bummer. Hope they get you going again soon and is a simple fix. The only thing I was disappointed in with our 3500 is the turning radius. It is even less with the 4x4 on. We once got into a muddy area with the truck towing the Solitude, started sinking, flipped the 4x4 on and it pulled right up and out of the mud, it went back to 4x2 easily. My old Dodge Ram has a very good turning radius in 4x4 or not..
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel