User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bronze Bushing Loose Fit

Just installed the MORryde heavy duty shackle kit and found the bronze bushings fit loosely in the leaf spring eyelets. In the past when I replaced the bronze bushings with Dexter bushings and they had a tight fit. Thinking the tight fit may be the way they should be. Not sure. Anyone else experience this?
    Thanks
    Tom
    Tom and Sandi
    2017 337RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new Mor/Ryde bronze bushings also went in loose into the spring eyes. Will be keeping an eye on them as much as possible.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I installed the MORryde heavy duty shackle kit on our Solitude, I found the spring eyes were very poorly formed. They were neither round nor consistent size. I think this is typical for these low cost springs.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I installed my mor ryde shackles and inspected my new oem spring bushings, I found several bushings trashed. The spring eyes were no where close to being round. I am sure that the new bushings I installed are trashed again, because the brass bushing has to be fully supported to function correctly. Very poor quality factory springs. I even considered filling the void with JB weld to support the bushing, but I will probably just replace the springs with a set of heavy duty american made 6 leaf springs the next time I perform maintenance.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    ..... but I will probably just replace the springs with a set of heavy duty american made 6 leaf springs the next time I perform maintenance.
    Where/who do you find good quality springs from?

Thank you
    Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Where/who do you find good quality springs from?

Thank you
    Chris
    I struck out in my search last night, it seems finding a 25.25 inch long spring is the issue. There are 24 7/8 and 26.00 inch springs out there from places like SD Spring, but I can't seem to find 25.25 springs with a 4000 lb capacity like I want. I need to take some measurements to see if the spring length could be adjusted without clearance issues from the fenders. I honestly think all of the springs I found are probably made in china. As I think about this more and more, it seems the only way to get a quality set of springs might be to have a set custom made from a spring shop and maybe have the eyes made larger so that a rubber /steel bushing could be installed or a heavy bronze bushing. I have bought pick up springs from SD Spring and they were excellent quality, maybe I will give them a call and see if they have any suggestions. I would like a 7 or 8 leaf spring with a 4000 lb rating. The LRG tires have over a 4000 lb rating, so I think the spring needs to be beefed up to handle the weight and handle the wrap up from the disc brakes.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, in my search for leaf springs, this is what I am finding: 25.25 eye to eye, 6 leaves, is rated at 3380, 3500 lb springs have 7 leaves and are 26.00 eye to eye and 4000 lb springs have 8 leaves and are 26.00 eye to eye. The 26 inch eye to eye spring have a free arch of around 4.25 inch and the 3380 spring has a free arch of around 3.50 inches. I will keep looking and see what I can find. Funny thing is that springs that I replaced in my 2001 Holiday rambler were 2600 lb springs, 5 leaf and have perfectly round eyes that the bushings don't pound out of! Makes me tempted to take apart my spring packs and re-use the old main leaf.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    So, in my search for leaf springs, this is what I am finding: 25.25 eye to eye, 6 leaves, is rated at 3380, 3500 lb springs have 7 leaves and are 26.00 eye to eye and 4000 lb springs have 8 leaves and are 26.00 eye to eye. The 26 inch eye to eye spring have a free arch of around 4.25 inch and the 3380 spring has a free arch of around 3.50 inches. I will keep looking and see what I can find. Funny thing is that springs that I replaced in my 2001 Holiday rambler were 2600 lb springs, 5 leaf and have perfectly round eyes that the bushings don't pound out of! Makes me tempted to take apart my spring packs and re-use the old main leaf.
    Please keep us posted on what you find out there.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent emails to several custom spring manufacturers yesterday to see about the possibility of getting some special made 4000 lb capacity springs for our trailers. Now to wait and see what they come back with.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still on the hunt for a better set of springs! All of the springs on the 2018 310GK are flat or reverse arched. The trailer is always supported with the hydraulic jacks, so just junk springs. Has anyone else had any luck finding a 4000 lb spring that works on our trailers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast