User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So many tricks, tank valves made smooth!

Learning new trailer functions.our 3rd trailer. I pulled to open tank valves, tanks are clean. Just filled with water. Pulled valve handle, very hard to pull. Scared I may break something. And with valves being long and under seal belly, I did not want to break or mess them up. So I when surfing on the web. Answer.
    Add vegetable oil to each tank and wait a couple days. I dumped 3/4 of a cup of vegetable oil in each tank, waited two days. Sprayed valve pull with silicone oil yesterday. I just pulled. Each valve. In smooth working order! Happy camper as they say. Thought I’d share. No vegetable oil does not hurt the tank seals. Actually used in industry to preserve seals. Hope someone can use this info! Tomm
    Lakeland FL.
    2016 1500 Ram Crew
    2019- imagine-2150RB

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a GREAT idea. I have been soraying my pull handles and cables every time I use them with PB Blaster. Only 6 weeks new so far. Bit going to ad veggy oil next time I dump
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This can't work! Everything to do with RV maintenance is and must be very expensive. Vegetable oil is far too cheap to use as an RV maintenance tool.

Thanks for the tip!
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10sne1 View Post
    Learning new trailer functions.our 3rd trailer. I pulled to open tank valves, tanks are clean. Just filled with water. Pulled valve handle, very hard to pull. Scared I may break something. And with valves being long and under seal belly, I did not want to break or mess them up. So I when surfing on the web. Answer.
    Add vegetable oil to each tank and wait a couple days. I dumped 3/4 of a cup of vegetable oil in each tank, waited two days. Sprayed valve pull with silicone oil yesterday. I just pulled. Each valve. In smooth working order! Happy camper as they say. Thought I’d share. No vegetable oil does not hurt the tank seals. Actually used in industry to preserve seals. Hope someone can use this info! Tomm
    Thanks for sharing. I am going to have to try that. Mine are pretty stiff too.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    This can't work! Everything to do with RV maintenance is and must be very expensive. Vegetable oil is far too cheap to use as an RV maintenance tool.

Thanks for the tip!
    Just pour the bacon grease down the toilet. I'm sure it will work great and its free after breakfast.
    2019 Imagine 2600 RB
    2016 Ford F350 CCLB SRW

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vegetable oil will only reach the gate valve slide plate and seals during the last part of draining the tank. Waiting for it to lubricate the seals with a full tank will not work because the oil floats on top of the tank contents.

(another) Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob. Great point. Needs to be done with empty to low tanks. Thanks for adding on, constructive tip.
    Lakeland FL.
    2016 1500 Ram Crew
    2019- imagine-2150RB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a big charge of Dawn dish washing liquid with a gallon of water after tanks are empty. Seems to work as well.
    2020 Ford F350, 4:10, 2024 Solitude 310GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a search a year or two ago and found a reference to dump baby oil in the tank. Vege oil is a heck of a lot cheaper! Thanks!!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All three tank valves have been hard to pull on my 2017 Reflection at one time or another since it was new. I use the Camco drain valve lubricant which contains coconut oil. It works. It foams when you dump it as though it may also contain soap.

Over the years I have noticed when I drained the tanks bone dry and parked it for a few weeks, the valves would be more difficult to operate. In the past year I've been adding Camco drain valve lub to each tank with a little water each time I park it for a few weeks. The next time I use the tanks, the valves seem to operate more smoothly.

I will certainly try the vegetable oil and maybe add some Dawn to it. Vegetable oil and a little soap would be less expensive and more readily available. These valves located within the under-pinning are a pain to repair.

Good idea!

Ken

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast