User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shifting focus a bit. When we travel with the cat we will likely leave him in the trailer while we go out and about exploring. Are there any concerns leaving him there with the AC on? Anything else we should consider?
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    Shifting focus a bit. When we travel with the cat we will likely leave him in the trailer while we go out and about exploring. Are there any concerns leaving him there with the AC on? Anything else we should consider?
    We mostly camped with our cats on weekends, spring and fall, when daytime temps stayed in the 60s. The one time we went away for a whole week, we boarded them. You’ll most likely need to get creative, as most campgrounds frown upon your leaving the campsite with AC running. You will find campgrounds that will meter your power consumption, and for those, I’d leave someone my phone number in case of a power outage.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have taken our cat a few time for longer trips so we don't need people to check on her. We find that the shower works good for the litter box o help keep it someway contained. We don't let her outside, but have a tag on her just in case.

Make sure you have a tag with name and cell phones. We actually had a few dogs wonder into our lot over the 4th and were able to call one of them because they had phone numbers listed.
    2019 Chevy 3500 CC SRW Duramax
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by camper1013 View Post
    We don't let her outside, but have a tag on her just in case.

Make sure you have a tag with name and cell phones. We actually had a few dogs wonder into our lot over the 4th and were able to call one of them because they had phone numbers listed.
    Such a small thing, but it is something we do not have. Thank you for pointing it out.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't have any problem with our 2 cats. They're indoor cats and they're perfectly happy just hanging out in the TT. They never go outside, except when they're in their carriers ready to load into the TV to hit the road.
    2018 Imagine 2600RB
    2019 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 LT Crew Cab, Vortec 6L V8, 4.10 Rear Axle
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000# Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    We do this all the time and have never run into a problem.
    2018 Imagine 2600RB
    2019 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 LT Crew Cab, Vortec 6L V8, 4.10 Rear Axle
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000# Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We take our two cats. They could not be more different. The little one HATES the truck but once we get to the CG and set up, she’s fine. The big one is chill in the truck but restless at the CG. He’s trained on a harness and leash though so gets a quick walk morning and night. Couple of other things/ideas: one, they are VERY expensive but we bought a Sturdi double pop-up carrier. It folds down into a case but pops right open. Mesh and clear plastic for viewing but completely sealed once zipped up. It’s used for show cats. They love it and can safely sit outside in that at the CG with us. Two, we did put a small cat tower in the rig, at the expense of two dining chairs which we didn’t use anyway and was about even swap on weight. This has helped a LOT, they can scratch and lounge. It’s by the dining window which is great. Third, we now ask for end sites at every CG. We learned with the cats, especially our rescue who is afraid of her own shadow, it is best to NOT be sandwiched between rigs with dogs—for them and for you. Some dogs see the cats in the windows or st the screen door or put in the carrier and bark, bark, bark. So if possible it’s better to have a site with dogs on only one side.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a pet temperature monitor for RVs, look on Amazon

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We started full timing with 2 Chihuahua's and a cat. Like most folks you realize they all had their own personalities and quirks. Our cat hated riding in the truck, but in states where it is legal my wife would ride in the 5th wheel and take a nap. We discovered that the cat hates the truck, but was ok in the trailer, so he got to ride in the 5th wheel all the time.

At 13 he developed cancer and passed away. The Chihuahua's followed and we were not going to get another pet. That was the plan. I flew down to check on my mom who is in a care facility and when I got back DW is crying when I walked in the door, what the heck? She adopted another little dog while I was gone, her story is that she didn't adopt the dog, the dog adopted her. So for the last year we have had just one pet. Now DW is telling my our adopted dog is lonely, she thinks we need to adopt a cat to keep the dog company while we are out adventuring. So I suspect sometime before winter we will once again be traveling with a dog and a cat.

Leaving them in the RV. It's always a concern, power goes out they get to hot, propane goes out they get too cold. We do the risk analysis process to determine the level of risk that we are putting them at and we take some risk. If it's really hot and we are in a park that has frequent power outages we would not leave them. If we are someplace that A/C makes it more comfortable and has good power we leave them longer. There is not a single set of rules to follow to be right, just some common sense ones.

Litter box; shower. Yes it's a pain to have to move the litter box whenever you want to take a shower but for some reason the dogs never messed with it while it was in the shower. Put it in the kitchen or living and they thought you had purchased a new play ground with kitty chocolates in it.

Our cat was primarily an indoor cat, he would occasionally venture outside, only if it was real quiet. In 5 years with him he only wondered off 1 time, took us about 2 hours to find him. I think it scared him and us enough that never happened again.

He wasn't allowed out at all while we were in Mesa, AZ, neighbors warned us about cat eating coyotes when we arrived.

We have seen lots of cats walked on and off leash. As campground hosts we have participated in several lost pet searches, most successful, some not. It's a great tragedy when a family loses a pet while camping.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did the litter box in the shower for awhile too. It is a good spot for it. Lots of RV owners put it there. However we just moved ours into the W/D area. Trying something different to alleviate taking in and out of shower. Obviously we don’t have a w/d, so we took the whole door off to that area, put down mats, litter box on the mats on the floor in that W/D area. Their stuff fits nicely in the shelf in there too. We’ll see how it goes on this big trip, we may be back to shower but going to try this for now.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast