User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, How do you camp with a cat?

I know it sounds ridiculous. One of the reasons we bought our TT was to take our cat along with us. He is an indoor cat who loves being out in our home's screened in porch. He will be fine in the TT at night with us, but he will drive us crazy if he cannot go outside at the campsite.

Is there some sort of screened canopy people use for this?
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I moved your thread to the pet section, it is likely to get more replies here.
    I think we have plenty of members who travel with cats. I saw a trailer with a cat room set right next to an open window so the cat could go in and out and poke around , yet still be contained. Not very practical if you are moving around tho.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Whittleburner. Did not see that section.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    I know it sounds ridiculous. One of the reasons we bought our TT was to take our cat along with us. He is an indoor cat who loves being out in our home's screened in porch. He will be fine in the TT at night with us, but he will drive us crazy if he cannot go outside at the campsite.

Is there some sort of screened canopy people use for this?
    NOT ridiculous at all. First and foremost, make a copy of your current vaccination certificate from the vet to keep in the glove compartment because no CG will allow your cat in without seeing it.
    We traveled with two 36” folding metal kennel crates for our two cats. Each crate held a bed, water and food bowl, and a small litter box. The crates folded flat easily, and could be stored in the TV bed or the pass-through floor. They come with a removable plastic tray bottom that is easily washable. I lined this tray with clean puppy training pads for easier cleanup.

Our cats had never traveled except to the vet and back, so I spent some time (weeks-maybe a couple months) at home, getting them acclimated to the crates, snug-fitting harnesses (secured around neck AND chest), and leash. As soon as you put a harness on, every cat will start to walk in a stiff-legged, awkward manner, and then collapse sideways on the floor. It takes a while before they begin to move normally, but eventually they will.

Mom (the mother cat that chose to live with us in 2001) and her daughter, Gray, were very different at the campground. Gray liked walking and exploring on the leash, while Mom was quite content to lie in her crate under the awning and watch all the activity. Of course, walks with the baby (16 years or so old) were very early in the morning and if any dogs were approaching, I’d pick her up and give them a wide berth.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8847E90B-8FA6-454B-B227-60CEF75F3C4F.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	754.8 KB 
ID:	21555
    Baby Gray with her harness on.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA44BC04-B16F-47C6-8BEA-906BDD16D031.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	670.3 KB 
ID:	21556
    Momma napping on my knee.

Unfortunately, we lost them both a year ago in June. Mom had pancreatitis and despite medication, just wouldn’t eat anymore. She was nearly 20 years old. Gray, at 17 years, suddenly developed a thyroid mass. She had either a seizure or a stroke one morning that left her blind and unable to walk. They were both characters and brought us much joy and love. There never were two such kitties, and I miss them still.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Answer to the question...How do I camp with a cat?..........that's easy, but a "pup tent"!

Sorry, I had to do that......it was low hanging fruit!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Answer to the question...How do I camp with a cat?..........that's easy, but a "pup tent"!

Sorry, I had to do that......it was low hanging fruit!
    Funny. I could do the kennels, but I know we will want to be outside and he will want to be with us. I will poke around looking for a way to get out and finally just plop down in our laps. The TT awning just won't do that. Maybe some sort of a tent (not "pup") with lots of screening so he can look out.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    Funny. I could do the kennels, but I know we will want to be outside and he will want to be with us. I will poke around looking for a way to get out and finally just plop down in our laps. The TT awning just won't do that. Maybe some sort of a tent (not "pup") with lots of screening so he can look out.
    It’s been a long time since I looked, but the pet supply catalogs all had a metal fence type octagonal cage that comes with a sunscreen/light canvas topper. “Sets up in seconds, folds up compactly, etc.”

The 36” crates fit through the door of the camper when erected, so when Mom was out under the awning, she was in her crate. Both cats slept in their crates, inside, at night. I got them used to the crate by leaving the door open, with litter box inside during the day at home, with bed, toys, and water. Fed them in there, again, leaving door open. Put them in, closing door to sleep at night. In short, at home, they spent more time in the crates with the door open, than closed, so they generally never felt contained for long.

I think I wouldn’t trust nylon and mesh alone, even if you’re determined to always be nearby. Too easy for the off-leash canine to tear it open, or for the cat to “worry” a hole in it with claws.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are considering bringing our cat with us on our next trip. She's getting used to a harness and leash, but like many cats she has her good days and bad. I don't train her on the leash to walk her around the campground. It's for her protection when she comes out of the trailer to hang out with us.

We've seen a couple of folks with cats in Montana. One was a huge class A with their cat in the front window. Another, I don't recall the RV type but they walked their cat on a leash. My kids got a kick out of it.
    Bill & Rachel
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD DRW
    2023 Host Everest
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL—( No longer own ).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, as I see the replies I am beginning to warm up the idea of the harness and leash. Our cat doesn't like it, but did grow accustomed to it when he realized it was the only way he was going to be allowed out.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two other members travel with cats. Rob from Ontario (Cate&Rob) have two dogs and “their” cat, Gracie. (That’s choice, the dogs have a pet, but we know who’s really in charge). There is a picture that Rob posted on here with all three walking on leash. And, nyfingerlakes, Eric and Lorna travel with their cat Finnan, but Finnan is very shy and stays in the 5th wheel. I’m sure there are many more.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast