User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaf spring upgrade

We have 2017 Solitude 379fls. We’ve been stuck in Coeur d’Alene, ID, waiting on upgraded leaf springs from Grand Design since Monday. When they arrived today, there was only one set of springs and no U-bolts. This is our third broken leaf spring, and every mechanic and GD Rep we have talked to has advised replacing U-bolts when replacing springs. Although other GD reps have told us they always ship u-bolts with springs, the rep today said we should reuse the existing bolts with the upgraded springs. He also advised us that it is Grand Design policy to put heavier 4000lb springs on one side of the coach with 3500lb springs on the other. We have broken springs on the front left and right rear; so, it is not clear which side we should upgrade, and the mechanic here said he would never do that anyway.

The rep agreed to send out additional springs and U-bolts, but I’m curious because all I know about springs is what I have learned by having them replaced. Is this really Grand Design policy to put different springs on each side of the coach? Is our mechanic wrong?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Previous discussions on springs from a few years ago when GD used LCI axles and springs, gave the impression LCI didn't want different capacity springs side to side.
    But some folks did to compensate for one side being heavier. Usually had to have the SmartWeigh done to show the weights on the wheels.

375res weight-leaf spring issues
    Matching Springs to Load Carried
    Suspension and axles Post 54
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had 3 of 4 break on our 2017 within the last year and replaced all 4. I purchased them myself and installed or had them installed by a vendor. I contacted LCI directly and they mailed me a check without question. It was so easy I suspect they had a bad batch of springs in 2017. I have weighed our unit and am within weight limits. Only my opinion but heavier springs on driver side doesn't sound like a bad idea. On the weight slip that came with the unit the drivers side was 1000 lbs heavier than curb side and much of weight we add in kitchen and bath is on that side. Of course I broke two springs on the light side. Adding 4000 lb springs also puts the spring capacity above the axle capacity. I didn't replace U bolts but it may be a good Idea.

Carter
    2017 377 MBS
    Last edited by Carter; 07-27-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any heavy truck suspension/alignment shop has a press with dies to put the curve in for different diameter axles. They can make a full set in just a couple of minutes. It sure beats waiting on parts from Indiana to arrive.