User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 27RL has a storage area behind the TV, and a lower one behind the fireplace. They are not the easiest to access because I always have to move the dining chairs and they are deep to reach into. But I am glad to have the storage and we use it. I think some models use the space for an outside kitchen. I would rather keep it as a storage area, but have the access from the outside. I think your plan to make this usable storage space is a good one.
    Dave
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for all your helpful comments. We are ordering a door and hope to install it in the not-too-distant future.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL
    2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Crewcab 4x4 with 6'4" box
    Haliburton, Ontario, Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a similar layout on our 2500rl.

One thing to consider is the tv mount which is too short IMO and makes viewing from all locations a pain.

We decided a better tv mount ( more flexibility ) was more important than the space issue.

We posted pics etc. of our new tv mount 6/15. Don't know how to link it here although I will try. The added reinforcement kind of screws up some of the place for access to the empty / wasted space ( we probably did overkill on the support mod ), although it could still be done.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...roved-TV-mount

Anyway, we love the added flexibility with the new tv mount. Moves the tv all the way out and gets it further away from the theatre seating and tilts so you don't break your neck trying to watch something.

Just a thought . We just wanted a better tv mount more than access, although we agree it's a lot of wasted space and we may still add an access the will work around the new tv mount.

let us know how it works our for you.
    2018 F150 Eco 4x4 XLT CC Max Tow Package
    Michelin Defender tires
    2019 GD Imagine 2500RL WDH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by riven1950 View Post
    We have a similar layout on our 2500rl.

One thing to consider is the tv mount which is too short IMO and makes viewing from all locations a pain.

We decided a better tv mount ( more flexibility ) was more important than the space issue.

We posted pics etc. of our new tv mount 6/15. Don't know how to link it here although I will try. The added reinforcement kind of screws up some of the place for access to the empty / wasted space ( we probably did overkill on the support mod ), although it could still be done.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...roved-TV-mount

Anyway, we love the added flexibility with the new tv mount. Moves the tv all the way out and gets it further away from the theatre seating and tilts so you don't break your neck trying to watch something.

Just a thought . We just wanted a better tv mount more than access, although we agree it's a lot of wasted space and we may still add an access the will work around the new tv mount.

let us know how it works our for you.
    Nice job on the new TV mount. I agree that it is far better than the mount that is supplied although I didn't find it that bad before I saw your photos.

I would encourage you to consider opening up the space behind to create more storage there and would love to see photos if you ever decide to do something there.

Thanks again for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brucedunning View Post
    I appreciate you folks taking time to help me decided the best plan of action. Let me clarify that my plan is to cut the hole behind the TV to the right of the mount since that space has nothing in it. I'm attaching a photo which should better show the area.

Attachment 21600

My plan is to order the same sized door that they currently use horizontally above the microwave and install that vertically to the right of the TV mount to cover the hole and create easy access to the entire area behind the TV. I have measured and determined that there is enough space to accommodate the door and handle with the TV stowed and locked. Incidentally, I'm thinking of having the door open to the left to allow me to be able to better access the space once it is opened.

Most likely we would also install shelves within the space to better utilize it.

It is still beyond me that GD would seal this space and not allow wires to be connected without running them outside of the unit.

Any other comments/ideas would be very much appreciated.

Have you given any thought to put hidden hinges on the door at the top utilizing some of those gas struts to hold up the door, having it flip up ?
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post

Have you given any thought to put hidden hinges on the door at the top utilizing some of those gas struts to hold up the door, having it flip up ?
    No, I've not thought of that. Actually, I'm not sure which "door at the top" you are referring to. Can you please explain what you are thinking a bit more?

Currently we are planning to put a the door vertically on the right side of the current TV mount. We are thinking of using the same sized door that they use over the microwave.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought you were wanting to put a door to access the space behind the TV, mounting the TV on the door. Putting the hinge at the top of the door.Making it a hidden lockable swing up access to that space. Sorry if I confused you (I do that to alot of people)
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I thought you were wanting to put a door to access the space behind the TV, mounting the TV on the door. Putting the hinge at the top of the door.Making it a hidden lockable swing up access to that space. Sorry if I confused you (I do that to alot of people)
    Ah, now I understand what you are saying. Right now we are just planning to put an access door beside the TV mount and leave the current TV mount as is.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brucedunning View Post
    Thanks everyone for all your helpful comments. We are ordering a door and hope to install it in the not-too-distant future.
    It is extremely hard to believe that GD has never had that issue brought up. More likely that it isn't worth the time and cost for them to do something about it, although I'd have paid extra for a better option. I had to use a wire fish tape (and a lot of cussing) to get all the cords like I wanted them in our 2018 315RLTS TT. I'd like to add the door you're doing. Do you have a link to that? It would be greatly appreciated.
    Kim & Deborah - Austin, TX
    2017 Ford F250 King Ranch 4WD (6.7L Power Stroke Diesel)
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS TT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerTX View Post
    It is extremely hard to believe that GD has never had that issue brought up. More likely that it isn't worth the time and cost for them to do something about it, although I'd have paid extra for a better option. I had to use a wire fish tape (and a lot of cussing) to get all the cords like I wanted them in our 2018 315RLTS TT. I'd like to add the door you're doing. Do you have a link to that? It would be greatly appreciated.
    I too find it hard to believe that an owner would have to fish wires each time they want to connect a device to the TV. As far as getting a door, we called Grand Design and confirmed that we could order a door but we needed to go through our dealer to do it. The dealer asked us to take a photo of the door we wanted which we did and ordered one with hinges and a door handle.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast