User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Window Questions while awaiting our Solitude

We have over 16K towing miles and over 280 sleeping nights with our travel trailer, so I have a couple of questions based on our experience.

When docked in our driveway between trips we've been putting Reflectix panels into every window of our TT. We live in the desert southwest and the sun is pretty brutal. But we also do it so we don't feel too bad running the air conditioner to keep the inside at a reasonable temperature. This allows us to leave some of our toiletries and pantry items in the TT in between trips. The large and plentiful windows in the 310GK don't seem like they're great candidates for Reflectix, but is someone here doing that? If not, what are your solutions? The search function here has mostly led me to posts about tinting/films.

Second, we have pleated shades in the TT, which are very happy being in the down position when traveling. Can we do the same with the roller shades in the Solitude? I have not gone hunting for online copies of the owners' manuals, so I apologize if that is covered there.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While our Solitude windows are tinted, they do let in heat when it is sunny. While reflectix is a good idea, it does block your view so we don't consider that as an option. We plan to order some of these exterior shades for the windows that face the mid day and afternoon sun:
    https://www.shadepro.net/product/window-cover/
    Since we have our rig parked on a permanent site we only need 6 of these.

We had these for a previous RV and they worked very well. Of course they have to be removed when you are traveling down the road. But they do allow you to see out while blocking the heat of the sun.

The roller shades on the Solitude do block the sun a bit but something on the outside of the window does a better job of keeping the heat out. If you leave the shades pulled down while traveling, they may flap a bit on the windows that don't have the valence on the sides, unlike the pleated shades that are held tight by the strings.

The other option I've considered is getting a ceramic window tint added to the inside of the windows. However, the exterior shades will be far less expensive than the tint (unless perhaps if you can install the tint yourself).
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the information. We currently use the Reflectix while the TT is docked at home. There are a couple of windows where we bring the covers on the trip to ensure darkness inside overnight.

We have window covers on our home (desert southwest) that are similar to what the ShadePro window covers are. And I can appreciate the advantages while camping. I see two primary concerns. First is having to attach the mounts to my brand new Solitude (gulp), and second is not being able to get my ladder next to the key windows at every campsite. That said, I appreciate having the referral to consider.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL