User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Explain shore power please.

I am totally new and want to understand what the RV dealer told me when I bought my GD TT. She said if we were going to wire a dedicated outlet at our home for the TT to be sure we understood how it is to be wired as it could wreck our TT electrical system.

Let me state what I think I know and please confirm or correct me. The confusion for an RV outlet is that it looks like a dryer plug outlet which is 220V AC. However, the wiring and power for an RV are the same as wiring an outlet in your home at 110V AC. The only difference is the outlet type you run the wires to. Is this correct?
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    I am totally new and want to understand what the RV dealer told me when I bought my GD TT. She said if we were going to wire a dedicated outlet at our home for the TT to be sure we understood how it is to be wired as it could wreck our TT electrical system.

Let me state what I think I know and please confirm or correct me. The confusion for an RV outlet is that it looks like a dryer plug outlet which is 220V AC. However, the wiring and power for an RV are the same as wiring an outlet in your home at 110V AC. The only difference is the outlet type you run the wires to. Is this correct?
    My advice to u would be to contact an electrician
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on getting an electrician if you arent sure about how to tackle this project.

You should also determine if you need 30A or 50A service at your home, they are wired much differently.

Also think about why you are having this put in at your house, do you plan to use it just to keep the battery charged and fridge cool or do you plan on running the A/C and everything else?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    +1 on getting an electrician if you arent sure about how to tackle this project.

You should also determine if you need 30A or 50A service at your home, they are wired much differently.

Also think about why you are having this put in at your house, do you plan to use it just to keep the battery charged and fridge cool or do you plan on running the A/C and everything else?
    Actually, I don't plan to do this at all. I am just trying to confirm what I think I know about RV shore power. I like to understand how things work.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I don't plan to do this at all. I am just trying to confirm what I think I know about RV shore power. I like to understand how things work.
    O, I misunderstood.

The 30A connection looks similar to a dryer plug and it is a 120V power supply, unlike the 240V of a dryer plug. If you had a 50A connection, it is also 120V but has 2 hot legs and shares a neutral. The 30A has a single breaker whereas the 50A has a double breaker (it's actually 100A, 50A for each hot leg). When you have a 30A connection you need to be extra mindful about power usage (running A/C and microwave at the same time or using a hair dryer and coffee pot together doesnt work out well).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    When you have a 30A connection you need to be extra mindful about power usage (running A/C and microwave at the same time or using a hair dryer and coffee pot together doesnt work out well).
    Ah. Thank you. I do have a 30A trailer. I did not know running both the AC and the microwave runs the risk of popping the circuit breaker.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah. Thank you. I do have a 30A trailer. I did not know running both the AC and the microwave runs the risk of popping the circuit breaker.
    Even when we’re at a campground, we’re careful not to run other, high amp pull (or high initial pull) appliances at the same time. For example, an insta-pot or electric skillet AND ac. Give the ac a rest for a bit. You never know what your neighbor is running, either. Too many skillets, waffle irons, and ACs running at the same time! Add a fashion plate with a hair dryer, and you get a whole line of unhappy campers! (Then Daddy has to jump in his truck and storm off to the office!). At home, we hook up to the outlet on our deck, using an adapter. It’s a 20A circuit, and would kill our ac, so we never run it at home. It’s merely to get the fridge up to temp, and clean up the trailer.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    It’s merely to get the fridge up to temp,N
    Speaking of getting the frig up to temp. I have heard differing things about how long the frig takes to get up to temp. I have heard days and I have heard hours. Can you clarify?
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of getting the frig up to temp. I have heard differing things about how long the frig takes to get up to temp. I have heard days and I have heard hours. Can you clarify?
    Every fridge is different. Some people have had a terrible time keeping temps up. Guess we’re just lucky, ours has worked well enough from the start. Initially, after we take it out of storage, it takes two full days to get fridge to maintain in the 30s and freezer to stay in single digits. We never put UN-chilled food in it. Ours is 6cf Dometic (finally nailed down exact model number this year, based upon the appearance of the control panel-darn manuals insist upon including several models), but that number is not in my head right now.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wondered if the reason for the wildly different times was related to one cooling down with electricity versus another who had no power and was cooling down with propane. Since mine does not have access to electricity where it is stored I will be cooling down with propane before the trip.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast