User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a project that I intend to tackle. As we approach retirement, we purchased the GD as our full-time home (as soon as my wife retires) and a means to find our "forever home". Having been away from ham radio for many years, I'm slowly getting back into it. I recently picked up an Icom IC-7000 that is intended to be the RV radio. For now it sits on our apartment pulling SWL duties while I re-familiarize myself with modern modes, re-memorize my privileges and figure out a new radio. Considering my last HF rig was a TS-440, this one is leaps and bounds ahead of it.

As I progress back into the hobby AND we get a chance to use our new RV, I'll be looking for solutions to run HF while on the road. The VHF/UHF stuff is easy, but I think it'll take a good tuner and some creativity to get a decent HF signal without getting too complicated in the setup and tear-down department.

Anyway, I'll come back here and post what I try in case it helps anyone else.

73!

Gary
    N0JMK

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    W5DWH here. Right now we only camp for two or three days at a time so I don't have a rig in the RV. I do have a Icom 706mkIIg and tuner ready to go. I
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ham handle is VA6DVL, I don’t have a unit in the trailer, but I have one in my truck, unsure of the model and I have one in my trail Jeep. It’s a Yeasu FTM-10 I believe. Went that way for the water resistance of it being in on open top Jeep.
    2020 Reflection 295RL 150 Series
    2007 Classic Chevrolet 3500 Duramax Ext Cab SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KC0JEA here. I use to operate in the rig but do not now. I gave up on 2 meter - no one on it.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alshlds View Post
    Looking for ham operators that operate from their rig. I have some, but interested in others experience and tips.
    Hi my Call is WA2TWA Mal de Monroe, NC
    I occasionally operate fro my truck with a KX3 with 100Watt amp. I have a stake mount quick disconnect and some Hustler resonators for 15,20, 40 and 75 meters. I also have a Ham Stick for 40 I haven't tried yet.
    At my QTH I have 2 K3s and a SPE 2K-FA also a Collins S line and a Collins KWM-2a and a 30 L1. Ant is a 55' crank up tilt over US tower with a 3el SteppIr which goes down to 20. I have a 40/80 inverted V which is at the top of the tower at 55' and comes down to about 25' on each side. I also have a full length 160 sloped dipole which I also use on 40 when it's noisy.
    I am an NCS for SOUTHCARS on Tue. 10-11 am and I do a traders net on Wed 10-11am also for SOUTHCARS 7.251MHz check out our little club oh over 13,000 members www.southcars.com
    I am also into Astronomy, check me out on QRZ. com
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a ham since the late 1960's (started while in high school) when my late uncle Al (W2TXB) convinced me to study and take the Novice and Technician exams; both could be held simultaneously. Over the years, earned the Extra Class license and change call signs a couple of times. Now I have Uncle Al's call sign.

The only hamming I am doing on the road and while camping is VHF (2-M) and UHF (450 MHz), FM and D-STAR. A couple we travel and camp with, as well as my wife, are all hams, so we communicate between vehicles while traveling. I had planned to buy a new ICOM IC-705 when it is released, but that is on hold for a while as I will be having some other house- related expenses to cover in the near future. I really wish FlexRadio Systems would come up with a new QRP SDR to replace the now discontinued 1500.

DuffMan - I had the IC-7000 several years ago, and while it requires a hefty battery or a good AC power supply (25-A should do OK), it is one of the most enjoyable radios I have owned.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all. W9CPY (Gary) and N9YYU (Marie) here. We just got an Imagine 17MKE and have been out only twice. Getting it kitted out for ham radio - took a roof snow scrapper and cut off the blade and now have an extendable mast, which I attach to the ladder with a flagpole mount. Currently I use a Hustler mobile antenna (yep, lots of resonator switching) or a dual band MFJ 2/440 antenna. Inside, I have a Yaesu FT-817 paired with a Tokyo Hi-Power 50 watt amp, so the rig is good from 160 to 440. I also have a FT-3DR for Fusion, and an FTM-100 in the Jeep. When I get rich and famous the rig will be replace by an FT-891.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Icom IC-7000 is really good but it is too expensive for me. I have not enough money. I am using BaoFeng BF-F8HP. This is the first radio I bought after receiving my amateur radio license so I don't have anything to compare it to. As a first time radio, it was easy to program using a programming cable and CHIRP. The included battery holds up well, I've had it mostly on for days, listening with a few minutes of talking here and there as something piques my interest, and only had to recharge it twice since I've had it.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good afternoon, W5BT here. I've had my license since 1988. In reference to my portable/mobile activity: We changed vehicles this year; but when I get around to it, I will be installing my Yaesu FT2980 in the new truck. In the meantime my little handheld (FT-70D) has actually done just about everything I've needed, especially since all our travels were cancelled this year. For our RV, I have the Yaesu FT-891, which is also my Field Day radio. There just isn't a good location in the RV to set everything up (that the wife is agreeable to) so I've kept it portable. I kind of like sitting outside with it anyway. If space and neighbors permit I set up my Alpha ProMaster vertical (again Field Day equipment). It's a great antenna, just needs space and draws a little too much attention unless you're in a state or national park type setup (sometimes then its even a little too much). I have been trying to get the MFJ Octopus to work on 40M and 20M work, but it's just not a good antenna. With the money I've wasted on trying different antennas for portable/mobile HF, I should have just purchased the Yaesu ATAS-120. Trying to save a buck will always cost you two or more; at least in my case anyway.
    Bruce & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2020 GMC 2500 Denali

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NB8F here (Andy). Just got a 2670MK and planning on sticking up an Eagle One antenna on the ladder. I then plan on using a Flex 6300 so I can sit outside or inside of the RV and use the setup. Don't plan on running more than 100 watts. I will also have a Buddipole Deluxe and probably some wire and a balun just in case I can throw something bigger up.

I also have an ATAS-120A and FT-891 in the truck.

73 de NB8F
    2021 Imagine 2670MK
    2019 Dodge Ram Limited - Quad Cab - 1476 cargo

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast