User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan, W7TNU here. Got my Novice in Sept 1970, then Tech, then Advanced 5 months later.
    Was very active in the Hobby and local Club (Lewiston, ID - Clarkston, WA ARC) for many years. Was active in the ID State Army MARS during the Vietnam War, handled traffic for troops. Served as ID Army MARS Director in the early 1980's. Really got into Teletype, had Model 15, 19, 28, 28ASR, and 33ASR. Wish I wouldve kept that 28ASR, it was great! Way to heavy for the many house moves that followed though...
    Ham Radio took a back seat for several years when kids came along, and my growing business took time too.
    Kept my License active, and have enjoyed getting more active as I got closer to retirement.
    I "cut my teeth" on a Hallicrafters H38-C and a surplus Collins R-390 that was way out of tune. The R-390 worked great once I adjusted the Gear & Dial drives.
    I moved to all Heathkit gear for several years, built an SB-301 and SB-401, and I still have my SB-200 Amp.
    I've been into Icom ever since. I still own my first Icom IC-02AT, my IC-04AT, IC-32AT, and currently use my IC-51A Plus Handhelds.
    I still have my IC-746 and IC 751 HF Rigs. I have an IC-7100 that I have stored in my RV, planning to use it with the Screwdriver and VHF/UHF antennas on my Momentum 328M as soon as I modify the Mobile mounts that I took off my 2013 Avalanche. I use an ID-5100A in my 2020 3500HD High Country tow rig.
    I run an IC-7600 at my Idaho Vacation Home, connected to my Ameritron Amp, my 6 element HF Beam, an Off Center Fed HF Dipole, a 2M beam, and a VHF/UHF Vertical all at 6-ft on a tilt-telescoping tower. I run LSB, USB, AM, and FT-8 on HF, and enjoy some FM on VHF & UHF. Hope to catch you "on the air".
    Last edited by Rockpatch; 02-21-2021 at 08:39 PM.
    Dan and "Big Red". Amateur Radio W7TNU.
    2020 Chevy 3500HD High Country SRW, 6.6L DMX, 10 Speed Allison, 3:42, Cajun Red.
    2017 Momentum 328M, 380w Solar, 14ply's, GM TPMS, Demco Hijacker Autoslide.
    7 ATV's, 2 Dirt Bikes, 3 Snowcats, 1938 Cat D2 Dozer, John Deere Tractor, too many toys...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New GD owner... and new to HAM... KJ7GWD

I plan on getting some (new) HAM equipment soon. I should be up and transmitting from the trailer in a month or so.
    2020 FORD F350 CREW CAB LONG BED 7.3L (GAS)
    2021 TRANSCEND XPLOR 247BH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow cool post, thanks for sharing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N6GB
    We have been using our 22RBE for a year now. We have almost 7000 miles on it with 24 separate setups as we traveled from Oregon to southern California. I use a simple 33 foot telescoping flag pole on the ladder to run a 72 foot random wire thru a 9:1 balum to another pole attached to the tongue. I am using an ICOM IC-7300 with a separate tuner. I make the Noontime net and other contacts almost every day.
    I also have a VHF/UHF vertical for 2 meters and 440.
    Ron...........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    K8AN
    We just picked up our 26RL and I haven't even thought about how I could set it up. Maybe this coming year! I run HF/VFH/UHF in the truck and have operated with a random wire for HF in the last unit we had.
    When we did a drive through of a local state park's CG I had someone ask me if we were doing Parks on the Air. That's not a bad idea!
    If my schedule permits, I'd like to take the RV to the Orlando Hamcation this February. Maybe that'll get me motivated to set it up.
    -Mike
    Mike and Carol (and Lucy the Schnauzer)
    Yellow Springs, OH
    2017 Reflection 26RL w/ 16K Reese Goosebox
    2017 F-350 Lariat Ultimate 6.7l
    Prior: 2016 F-150 w/ MaxTow Pkg., B&W Turnover gooseneck ball, Summo springs

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An update to my previous post. Just acquired a new (to me) FT-891.. woot! Thanks to XYL for understanding the need. She does say she has only one word…jewelry!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Harrison View Post
    An update to my previous post. Just acquired a new (to me) FT-891.. woot! Thanks to XYL for understanding the need. She does say she has only one word…jewelry!
    Fantastic radio! It's what I have in the truck and also what I will be setting up in the GD (when I get to it!)
    Spend some time going over the menu settings. That will help you get a better feeling for what it can do.
    Mike and Carol (and Lucy the Schnauzer)
    Yellow Springs, OH
    2017 Reflection 26RL w/ 16K Reese Goosebox
    2017 F-350 Lariat Ultimate 6.7l
    Prior: 2016 F-150 w/ MaxTow Pkg., B&W Turnover gooseneck ball, Summo springs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently sold my Fleetwood Discovery and now looking for a lightly used GD 310GK. I used an ICOM IC-7000 and SGC-231 ATU in my Discovery for years - with a whip or long wire antenna depending on my RV parking environment.

If and when find a 310GK I plan to switch to a Flex-6300 or 6500 and mount it (and a Router) below near the batteries. And to eliminate the need for interior wiring, use a Maestro or iPad for wireless control in and around the trailer.

KF4HR
    Last edited by AB7011; 12-19-2021 at 07:41 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Harrison View Post
    I have an FT-891 that I used while camping and for POTA. Great radio.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loving the "Edit" function... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Summit1 View Post
    I am W2TXB, and the only hamming I do on the road (at least so far) is VHF/UHF. The other couple with whom we travel and camp are also hams; we communicate on UHF-FM simplex between vehicles while on the road. Just configured and used a ZumSpot for D-STAR during last weekend's trip, and it worked really well. Checked into a net on XRF757A and the topic was "hobbies other than ham radio"... my brief transmission included camping.

I was on a list (#5 of 5) to buy a slightly used ICOM IC-7300, which would have been a good addition to my camping/traveling activities, but #1 of 5 came through and bought it. I may do something later, but with a lower power (i.e., KX3 or similar) transceiver. I am not in a big hurry because we have been so busy with other stuff while camping, that I would have had little or no time for ham radio. Maybe someday...
    Update: As of last year, I purchased an ICOM IC-705 and Chameleon F-loop (aka, the "Floop"), a Wolf River Coils vertical, a 9:1 LDG unun, and a tuner (LDG Z-11Pro II for use with end-fed wire antennas and the 9:1 unun). All work very well and the Bioenno 12-aH battery goes forever between recharges. The only thing I need now is one of Doug/W2GT's antenna launcher... may build one of those sometime.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast