User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any ham radio guys here? AC8ZL

Looking for ham operators that operate from their rig. I have some, but interested in others experience and tips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am, K0LCB. I use a screwdriver on my ladder, and carry an inverted V, and some Army surplus mast section if I’m going to be set up for awhile
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alshlds View Post
    Looking for ham operators that operate from their rig. I have some, but interested in others experience and tips.
    An older thread, worth the read:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...946#post204946

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amateur Radio on the road

Quote Originally Posted by LCBoyer View Post
    I am, K0LCB. I use a screwdriver on my ladder, and carry an inverted V, and some Army surplus mast section if I’m going to be set up for awhile
    Glad to hear someone does. I set up last trip in the UP of Michigan, working 20 and 40. Not much voice, but FT8 worked well there. I made a bumper mount by the ladder stuck the mast in, (leftover tv antenna mast), mounted 20 and 40 ham sticks and pivoted it up. I knew half-million people were watching me, staring at me with binoculars, (is he a spy) but actually no one seemed to care. So will travel with it more.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am W2TXB, and the only hamming I do on the road (at least so far) is VHF/UHF. The other couple with whom we travel and camp are also hams; we communicate on UHF-FM simplex between vehicles while on the road. Just configured and used a ZumSpot for D-STAR during last weekend's trip, and it worked really well. Checked into a net on XRF757A and the topic was "hobbies other than ham radio"... my brief transmission included camping.

I was on a list (#5 of 5) to buy a slightly used ICOM IC-7300, which would have been a good addition to my camping/traveling activities, but #1 of 5 came through and bought it. I may do something later, but with a lower power (i.e., KX3 or similar) transceiver. I am not in a big hurry because we have been so busy with other stuff while camping, that I would have had little or no time for ham radio. Maybe someday...

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep my portable on me when camping, but only really turn it on once or twice a day. Not much going on with it. I currently live in the UP of Michigan and I am KE8DOH. I am a newer ham and still learning.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a KX3, and a Kenwood 480HX for portable use. The 480HX is getting remounted to the truck with a QD attached screwdriver antenna. However, if I have internet, I can remote run the house shack. I share my 110ft tower with a couple friends that bought the radios / amps for inside, and I pay for everything permanent. So we have a Steppir DB18-E at 115ft, on a Alfa Spid Big Rak rotator, an A3S Tribander static at 40ft, and an 80/160M fan dipole in an inverted V at 90ft. With a Flex 6600 and SPE 1.3K-FA solid state amp inside, all remotable. As long as I have internet, I can run those with a proven rig. If I don't have internet, I can run 200w off the truck.
    2018 Solitude 3740BH
    2013 Ram 3500 DRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AA0SB here. Plan to focus on setting our 2017 328M up for mobile ham soon now that the greased drum brakes have been replaced with EoH discs, multiple suspension failures are behind us (knock on wood), power system upgrades are complete, tail light enhancements are done, yada, yada, yada. When time permits, I also want to install a Wilson Electronics cellular booster system and an external MIMO dual band WiFi antenna. Besides improving coverage for the cell phones, the booster should enhance the range for the Pantech modem that's plugged into a PepWave SOHO VPN WiFi router. This will provide two redundant pathways for access to the NAS and security cameras back at the homestead - not-to-mention access to D-Star repeaters

DW claims the Momentum is my project hobby horse. She just may be right.
    Steve and Cheryl

2017 Momentum 328M w/Dual Pane Windows and 3rd A/C. Aftermarket mods: Titan EOH Disc Brakes, MORryde IS suspension and Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box
    2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn Megacab 4x4 DRW with 6.7 HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, AISIN trans, 3.73 axles and a Reese 20K puck mount hitch
    Call sign: AAØSB, Class: Extra

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NC4DK from NC. I am taking delivery of my Imagine next week. I am thinking of putting an Arrow J-pole on the ladder for VHF/UHF. I have an Alpha portable HF antenna that I can use with my Icom 7300 for HF. Maybe I can operate from one of the low number counties for next year's NC QSO Party. Looking forward to meeting more hams in my travels.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WW9R Pat here, we will be heading out next summer for our first trip. I plan to take my 7300 along. Not sure what I will bring for antennas.

Pat. WW9R
    Pat and Rose
    2019 F-250 XLT 6.7 L diesel, long box

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast