User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kb0zke here. Just saw this thread after communicating with someone else about ham radio in a trailer. We bought our Reflection 315RLTS travel trailer in January and are full-timers. My original idea was to have a shack in the trailer, and then I decided that operating outdoors would be better. My son is upgrading his hf radio, so I'm getting his current one and a battery when we get to his area next month. Since I have to replace the converter with one that will play nice with the two lithium batteries anyway, the current converter will be repurposed to charge the radio battery (mounted in the pass-thru space on the door side). The battery can then be moved to the picnic table whenever I want to play radio. I have a painter's pole that I can mount a pair of hamsticks on for a dipole antenna, so soon I should be able to be on the air.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, David! We need to keep this thread alive. I know there has to be a lot of ham radio operators who have GD campers.

I just attended the Dayton Hamvention and got energized about participating in the Parks on the Air program (POTA). Pretty easy to do and doesn't need a lot of time commitment unless you want to. It does seem like a good way to combine camping and ham radio, mess with some equipment and maybe bring some awareness to some of the less known parks out there. I'm more of a 120v guy myself although I do have a QRP CW set that I don't hardly use. Need to brush up (a lot) on my code though!

-Mike
    Mike and Carol (and Lucy the Schnauzer)
    Yellow Springs, OH
    2017 Reflection 26RL w/ 16K Reese Goosebox
    2017 F-350 Lariat Ultimate 6.7l
    Prior: 2016 F-150 w/ MaxTow Pkg., B&W Turnover gooseneck ball, Summo springs

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, N4LEW here, we just purchased Solitude 280RK and I'm having a problem with routing coax into the rig. I've had 2 other 5th wheels and I've been able to route coax into the slideout by following the cables in from under the slide. Then opening the cover at the floor inside and pulling it in. On this RV though, I see where the cables are going up into the slide and I have a cover inside on the floor there but I seem to running into something about 1/2 inch when trying to push it up into the slide. Any thoughts? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been off the air for many, many years. What are some of the current options for vertical antennas that could be used on a trailer?

I'm also amazed at the lack of entry level, basic HF rigs available today. Other than QRP rigs, there's not much out there if one just wants something for CW. Sure wish I'd kept all my old stuff!
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KE8MLN

I got my Technician in 2019 so I could talk to local SkyWarn. When we bought a camper last year, my wife demanded that we couldn't go off grid. So I passed the general exam and started buying radios only to figure out that a Garmin inReach was good enough. Now I have an inReach and radios.

I carry everything I need for UHF/VHF and HF with me when we travel. I haven't done anything with the HF yet.
    '22 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTD Custom
    '23 Imagine XLS 21BHE

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_de_hunter View Post
    KE8MLN

I got my Technician in 2019 so I could talk to local SkyWarn. When we bought a camper last year, my wife demanded that we couldn't go off grid. So I passed the general exam and started buying radios only to figure out that a Garmin inReach was good enough. Now I have an inReach and radios.

I carry everything I need for UHF/VHF and HF with me when we travel. I haven't done anything with the HF yet.
    Welcome!!

I carry an Inreach and have a ham radio in my SxS as we ride trails all over Colorado. As soon as ATT gets their phone to satellite communications running I will shut off the Inreach
    https://www.pcmag.com/news/att-ast-s...ite-phone-call
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Fellow Hams,
    Jan-K4QD here. After owning a 2021 Grand Design 2500RL for over two years I finally joined the user group. I operate ham radio a lot from the trailer and portable while traveling. We just finished 12 weeks on the road though 19 states. I have been doing POTA and WWFF activations the last couple years and did over 40 activations (5272 contacts) in 14 states this summer. I have an IC -7100 in the truck and an IC-7300 in the RV. I have used multiple antennas, but recently have mostly used a 40M EFHW with a 33 ft MFJ fiberglass mast. I have added two solar panels and two 100AH Lithium batteries to the RV, and use two 20AH Bioenno Lithium batteries portable. I have some photos on my QRZ page. Feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions about my portable operations here or direct. 73, Jan K4QD

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Member Intro and Ham Radio 73s

Hi there! I see that there hasn't been anything on this thread for 5 months now, but since I'm a new member of this forum, and I'm supposed to introduce myself anyway, this seems like a good place to do it.

I'm Skip K4EAK. Been RV'ing for, um, a few decades (like since the late 1970s), and have owned numerous RVs over that period. Just sold our motor home and bought an Imagine XLS 23LDE since we're downsizing and won't be doing the 10,000+ mile trips every year.

I've also been a ham for several decades. The ham shack is an IC-7300 but since I live in an HOA-restricted neighborhood, all I have is a 71-foot random wire antenna thrown up in a tree. Even still, it works well enough and I get on the radio regularly. After passing my 13-wpm test way back when, I never sent a single dit until just recently when I got into CW and now it's my preferred operating mode.

In my truck I have an FT-891 running to an ATAS-120. Obviously, that's not as good as what one can do at home (or even in the RV), but it works surprisingly well. I'll jump on HF sometimes when I'm driving, but mostly use it when I'm parked somewhere and doing a POTA activation or just killing time.

For the RV, I have another IC-7300 that I'll set up somehow (maybe on the dinette) (would appreciate suggestions), maybe running out to an EFHW thrown up in a tree or perhaps a hamstick dipole, both of which I used a lot in the motor home with good success. Most of my operating will probably be POTA activations. I've activated over 100 parks so far, hunted over 1000, and have well over 7000 contacts total. I have a KX2 that I love setting up on a picnic bench and running an activations from state or federal parks, which is where we most like to camp.

So there we are. I'm looking forward to traveling in our new RV and exchanging ideas with people here.

73 Skip K4EAK
    2024 Imagine XLS 23LDE
    2020 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
    Amateur Radio K4EAK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I've been off the air for many, many years. What are some of the current options for vertical antennas that could be used on a trailer?

I'm also amazed at the lack of entry level, basic HF rigs available today. Other than QRP rigs, there's not much out there if one just wants something for CW. Sure wish I'd kept all my old stuff!
    Hi Dryfly,
    Well, I suppose not exactly entry level, but I've recently switched my setup to an FT-817 and a Tokyo HyPower HL-50B (50 watts) amp. I have it bolted to the cabinet top next to the bed - small, compact and convenient in my 17MKE. As for an antenna, if you don't mind switching coils, it's hard to beat a Hustler mast and coil combination. I have mine mounted permenently to the tongue jack. it gives you 6 meters plus whatever coil you chose. Just yesterday, while packing for an upcoming trip, I connected with Barbados, Brazil, California and Texas between loads. Lots of fun. Good luck!. Gary W9CPY

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed several comments on the use of long wire and EFHW wire antennas. There is lots of info on the internet on both types, but also lots of confusion on which might be the easiest or most effective.

I'd like to know which you prefer, and if you are using an external antenna tuner, etc.

It dawned on me that residential lots are a lot smaller than they used to be, and that lots of folks live in HOA regulated areas now as opposed to the past. I can see why these wire antennas are so useful. They just seem to be a lot more complicated than a traditional HW dipole.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast