User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake 7 Pin Plug for Disc Brakes Conversion

I have a 2019 397TH Momentum, and just don't feel safe w the drum brakes (hard to believe they are still using electric drum on a 20K # camper). I noticed some have had this work done, I plan on doing the work myself.

I'd like to consider Kodiac Disc system, and wonder if anyone knows where the 7 pin Plug lines come into the Camper for easy access? I tried following and searching w no resolve.

Thanks Tim

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tim

Where the fifth wheel hitch ( king pin) is attached to the frame there should be a silver box attached there. This is the junction box between the cord that plugs into the truck and the RV. From there the wires come into the front storage encased in a plastic wire loom, should be on the right side when the front storage is open. The marker lights and tail lights should just pass right thru this area right to the appropriate lights. There should be a red power wire from the truck to the on board battery for charging while attached to the truck. There also should be a wire that comes from the emergency break away that will go the brakes as well as a wire from the trucks brake controller. There are some pretty good diagrams on here of this.
    While you are looking at the silver junction box this may be a good time to upgrade this box to a terminal post box that is plastic and is better for this application. Inside your metal box you will find a few crimp connectors as well as some wire nuts, this is not the place for wire nuts.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Tim

Where the fifth wheel hitch ( king pin) is attached to the frame there should be a silver box attached there. This is the junction box between the cord that plugs into the truck and the RV. From there the wires come into the front storage encased in a plastic wire loom, should be on the right side when the front storage is open. The marker lights and tail lights should just pass right thru this area right to the appropriate lights. There should be a red power wire from the truck to the on board battery for charging while attached to the truck. There also should be a wire that comes from the emergency break away that will go the brakes as well as a wire from the trucks brake controller. There are some pretty good diagrams on here of this.
    While you are looking at the silver junction box this may be a good time to upgrade this box to a terminal post box that is plastic and is better for this application. Inside your metal box you will find a few crimp connectors as well as some wire nuts, this is not the place for wire nuts.

Brian
    Awesome.. I am familiar w the metal box at the underside/back of pin what I am most looking for is mounting and tying into the plug w no mod's other than inside camper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the two blue wires for the electric brake. I just cut them off and used one for brake controller and the other was a ground wire. They were in a grey, plastic sleeve
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCBoyer View Post
    I used the two blue wires for the electric brake. I just cut them off and used one for brake controller and the other was a ground wire. They were in a grey, plastic sleeve
    Apologies to OP Tim but so glad to hear from LC - hope doing well and enjoying the new smaller unit !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add me to another happy camper that took a 21k loaded hauler and bring it to a nearly nose bleed stop.. I finished up a Kodiak EOH kit, and jeezawhiz (lol) am I happy.

2250$ for kit 3 axles, had to get 30 3/8x24-1 1/4 grade 8 bolts (used the nuts off old backing plates), needed 25' of raw 3/16 brake line, need 3 T blocks 3/16 3/8x24 pitch, 3 6' rubber line and 3 2' rubber line, the rest I got w the line kit I bought when I got the Kodiak Disc brake system.

Headed to the Adirondacks Thursday and can't wait to give another fearless go at it.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a 379th and I bought the complete kit from Performance Trailer Braking and installed myself. Took me a few days but being retired and 70 yrs old that was not a problem. I upgraded the kit to 9/16 wheel studs over the 1/2" and upgraded to Oil bath versus packing the bearings with grease. Additionally I upgraded to Timken brand wheel bearings. Stopping now is different than night and day. Wish I had of done this yrs ago.....
    John & Kathie
    2016 Momentum 397TH
    2017 Dodge 3500 Dually Air Bags, Mag Hytec Trans. Pan & rear Diff. cover
    Reese Goosebox
    2010 CVO Street Glide