User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for directions

Every fall we head to Myrtle Beach from New England. Usually end up on 81 - 66 - 17 and back on to 95 in Fredericksburg Virginia.
    We have sat in traffic at the end of 17 for as much as 2 hours waiting to get to 95. So I知 looking for suggestions for another route??
    Has anyone gone further down on 81 to 64 then out to 95?
    Want to avoid all the big 95 cities and end up on 95 somewhere around Richmond Va.
    thanks for any suggestions!!
    Don
    Don & Gayle
    3 fur babies
    2016 solitude 375re
    2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW crew cab short bed LTZ Z71 Duramax
    Rear timbren suspension blocks
    PullRite super glide 24k auto-slide
    Morryde rubber pin box
    Sailun G637

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought about continuing to rt 64 then taking the rt 288 loop around Ricmond?
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That痴 what I was looking at in the map while sitting there last night. It took us almost 2 hours to go the last mile!!
    Brutal!!!
    Is 64 to the 288 loop much longer time wise? Good road?
    Thanks
    Don
    Don & Gayle
    3 fur babies
    2016 solitude 375re
    2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW crew cab short bed LTZ Z71 Duramax
    Rear timbren suspension blocks
    PullRite super glide 24k auto-slide
    Morryde rubber pin box
    Sailun G637

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a long time for me. 7 years ago I was working in south Richmond and staying in Short Pump. We took rt 288 to and from the job each day. I took Rt 64 to Rt81 to drive home weekends. There is a more direct route to rt 81 but that is driving a car. I'm not so sure pulling or driving an RV.
    You can plot it easily enough on Googles maps to see it's about a half hour more driving but if you are in traffic for two I'd say you are way ahead. The trick is getting around Baltimore / Washington / Alexandria Those areas have really become congested and are getting more so.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 07-27-2019 at 05:55 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advise. Just watched a YouTube video of I64. Heading back home tomorrow night from NC think I値l try it.
    Thanks again!!
    Don

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhuggs View Post
    Thanks for the advise. Just watched a YouTube video of I64. Heading back home tomorrow night from NC think I値l try it.
    Thanks again!!
    Don
    Just came back from Myrtle Beach. I've been using 495 North to 270 west to 15 north to get around D.C. Still hit some traffic on 495, but bearable. I don't think there's ever a good time in D.C., but that way at least you miss Baltimore. My son always gets stuck in D.C. Last time I sent him up 234 above Dumfries to 66 to 15. He said it wasn't bad, only had to deal with a few stoplights. But decent roads. That way you would miss D.C. and Baltimore both. Good Luck, and safe travels!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW- He comes up out of Wilmington, N.C. Takes 258n to 70 to 795.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mike. I値l see how traffic is in the am when we get to that area and make a decision.
    Don

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhuggs View Post
    Every fall we head to Myrtle Beach from New England. Usually end up on 81 - 66 - 17 and back on to 95 in Fredericksburg Virginia.
    We have sat in traffic at the end of 17 for as much as 2 hours waiting to get to 95. So I’m looking for suggestions for another route??
    Has anyone gone further down on 81 to 64 then out to 95?
    Want to avoid all the big 95 cities and end up on 95 somewhere around Richmond Va.
    thanks for any suggestions!!
    Don
    I always go 81 to 77 to 26 into 95
    2017 Momentum 350
    2008 Ford F450

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do whatever possible to stay off I-95 between Doswell (north of Richmond @ Kings Dominion) and anything north to DC. As you come east on I-66 from Front Royal, you can pick up US-522. It's a very nice, mostly rural/horse country US highway, well maintained. However, much of it is only one lane each direction. It will bring you onto I-64 just west of Richmond/I-295/Short Pump, where you can pick up 288 through Chesterfield and connect up with I-95 or I-85 south of Richmond.

Your other route is is remaining south on I-81 to I-64. Once you're on 64, it's about 2 hours to Richmond - you have the option of picking up 288, or I-295, or even just plowing through downtown and making a direct 64/95 interchange.

If you like US highways over interstates, consider US-29. Take US-522 as above to Culpepper, then south on -29, or 81S/64E to Charlottesville, then 29S - runs N/S through Charlottesville, Lynchburg, and on into Greensboro. Keeps you off 95 for a long time.
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach