User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The very first time I pulled that plug I was standing back a bit to not get wet but was dead center because I wasn't thinking at that moment in time properly. The second the last thread lost grip there was a pop and the anode rod shot out and popped me just enough in the ding ding. My wife and daughter thought it was hilarious.

I now stand off to the side.
    Last edited by Aridon; 03-06-2020 at 06:27 PM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the braided hose and quarter-turn ball valve on the drain and I keep the valve open when the rig is winterized just to be on the safe side in case of freezing. Anyway, I hooked up the city water to the camper BEFORE I opened the water heater'a exterior panel to allow the drain hose to hang down. Well the water sprayed inside the panel for about 15 seconds before I closed off the drain valve and made a mess in the kitchen.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Puddle2.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	25234Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Puddle1.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	25235

When I first saw the small puddle on the floor near the bottom of the cabinet under the sink, I thought I had a leak in my kitchen sink, but upon further inspection I saw that all its plumbing was dry. I then saw that the puddle spread out on the floor back toward the water heater and that's when I came to the conclusion that I made the mistake.

So if you too have the drain valve and hose setup on your water heater, learn from my mistake. Either close the drain valve or make sure the hose it pointed away from your rig before you turn on the city water.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    The very first time I pulled that plug I was standing back a bit to not get wet but was dead center because I wasn't thinking at that moment in time properly. The second the last thread lost grip there was a pop and the anode rod shot out and popped me just enough in the ding ding. My wife and daughter thought it was hilarious. I now stand off to the side.
    In the (very detached) interest of protecting your ding-dong I write to advise releasing all pressure from the system before removing the cap / anode rod from the heater.

After removing city water pressure or turning off the pump, open both hot and cold sides of at least one faucet in the trailer, better to open them all (in the kitchen, set the control in the middle between hot and cold). Then open the low-point drains under the trailer or in the water closet (open both hot and cold water drains).

At that point removing the cap / anode rod is ding-dong safe. Opening the lever-controlled pressure valve at the top of the heater will make a big difference in how quickly it drains... stand off to the side so you don't get a wet ding-dong.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Casual and/or inexperienced readers of this thread might miss the fact that there are (at least) two types of water heater used by Grand Design - it's mentioned in only a couple of the posts.

One of the water heater types, often made by Atwood and usually having a plastic plug, can be improved by the mod suggested in this thread.

The other, made by Suburban and having a metal plug, includes an essential "anode rod" extending behind the plug into the tank. The rod must be there to retard early decomposition of the water tank itself. The rod makes it impossible to install the easy-drain mod discussed in this thread.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried to do a similar mod to the Suburban tank? I can't find any discussion (maybe my lack of forum search skill) about modifying a tank with an anode rod to allow easier draining. I modified my Solitude using a galvanized nipple and T. This allows me to thread the anode rod straight in and attach a 1/4 turn valve with a hose nipple to allow draining. I used metal because I assumed I needed to keep the anode rod in electrical contact with the tank (versus nylon for those without a rod).
    Greg and Colleen Gates
    Albuquerque, NM
    2020 Solitude 344 GK
    2019 F350 Lariat Superduty DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would look into putting a bleed fitting on top fitting of tank inside camper to bleed air in so tank drains for winter.Mine didn't drain out last winter split tank open go thing for extended warranty.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gojoenow View Post
    I would look into putting a bleed fitting on top fitting of tank inside camper to bleed air in so tank drains for winter.Mine didn't drain out last winter split tank open go thing for extended warranty.
    You should always ensure that your water heater tank is drained before you flip the Nautilus panel to the winterize setting and isolate the water heater. That way, all you have to do is open the a faucet to allow air into the tank as the water drains. If you flip the valves in the panel first, that generally won't happen due to check valves built into the water heater.
    2019 F-350 SRW 6.7 Powerstroke
    2020 Solitude S-Class 2930RL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jw^2 family View Post
    Here's what we did to keep from splashing water all over when draining the water heater:
    Attachment 21636

We can't take credit for this idea; it came from a post by @FordmanNJ -
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...266#post231266
    Do you occasionally remove this setup and use the wand to flush out sediment?
    2020 Imagine Mk2670
    Tow vehicle - 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    At that point removing the cap / anode rod is ding-dong safe. Opening the lever-controlled pressure valve at the top of the heater will make a big difference in how quickly it drains... stand off to the side so you don't get a wet ding-dong.
    I advocate that owners manuals and service publications heretofore adopt the convention of certifying select specified procedures as “Ding-Dong Safe, or DDS.
    Home is where you park it!
    2021 Solitude 380FL
    2014 Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW 6.6L Duramax Allison 6 Speed
    RVing since 1996; Full Time since 2018

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't yet but it might not be a bad idea.

Sometimes I notice some sediment in the water when the tank begins draining.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast