Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nomad,
    Like Cate&Rob we tow a 31ft. fiver with the same F150 max towing, max payload and it preforms great. We will be getting a new 303 in the next month or so. We don't have any air bags but the truck specs and hitch are the same. I would suggest you get a slider hitch that moves itself rather than a manual hitch. It seems there is always a traffic jam or rain or something when I have to move the hitch from the tow to maneuver position or vice versa. Of course when you don't have to get in and out of the truck to do that those problems will never happen. Ours is a 2013 and the ecoboost is the "Mustang" version of the F150 and is a blast to drive with or without the fiver.

Just wanted to chime in as another actual owner of a F150 ecoboost towing a fiver. You will be very happy with it but don't be looking for that 21mpg unless you drive 55. We tow at 65 and get around 10.5 mpg. At 75 we get around 8.5 mpg. Unloaded we get about 14.5 mpg but what can I say, it will blow my 1993 F150 Lighting off the road.

The Nomad
    Thanks for your comments and firsthand information. We have decided to pursue the F-150 EcoBoost with max. towing and max. payload options. This should be a great truck for our towing and daily driving needs.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ranchdog,

Thanks for the confirmation! Even though this is working really well for us, a 5th being towed by an F150 is a rare sight.
    We have just covered 900+ miles from Toronto to Nashville, averaging 9.7 mpg, usually running between 55 and 60.

I have found another benefit to the manual slider. I connect the trailer with the hitch in the rear position, because I have a much better view of the hitch out the rear window of the crew cab and I have a lot more working room behind the truck for hooking things up and storing things away in the trailer storage compartment. The Reese slider moves very easily from one position to the other and positively locks at either position.

My airlift system has the on board compressor, so I can adjust pressure while underway. The truck ride definitely gets better with more pressure in the bags (I have tried up to 60 psi) . . . but, this takes the 5th higher in the front and appears to load the rear trailer tires more than the front. 20 psi doesn't do much for the ride, but keeps both truck and trailer almost level. I'm already at 5" clearance to the bed rails, so don't want to lower the hitch any further. The "fix" for this would be to lift the trailer suspension a couple of inches higher above the axles. There is discussion on this, elsewhere on the forum.

It will be interesting to continue this discussion, once you get your 303. (Which you will love BTW . . . no matter what you have now!)

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to post experience of another F150 ecoboost owner who actually has it and does it. Love the hitch but it seems but I guess I'm getting old and lazy and don't want to crawl in and out of the truck. There is always someone who wants to get by or some other inconvenience. Would get auto slider if I had to do it over again but I hope that doesn't happen. Its been really hard not to upsell myself on a Reflection 337 or Solitude 369 but we don't need them and we certainly don't need a diesel that costs 75 cents more per gallon or more to operate. Looking forward to the 303.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2011 F-150 Ecoboost with the Max Tow option, but HD payload was not available. I added SuperSprings and Bilstein HD shocks to keep it level, and a Wagner intercooler to keep the intake temps reasonable, then researched carefully for the right fiver. We had seen another F150 without Max Tow (5.0L V8) with a brand new Jayco HT series, but my research indicated that dry pin weight was about 250 lbs over my desired limit. I finally found the Cougar High Country 299RKS, my wife loved it and it was within my, if not Ford's, limits. I now have 64K on the truck with 12K of towing up and down the mountains of VT, NH, CO and WY.
    I originally got 10-11 mpg towing at 62 mph, but that has dropped to 9-10. I suspect a warped exhaust manifold (common on hard working Ecoboosts). I took it to the dealer with the squealing noise and they replaced the vacuum pump instead. I need to get back to them as I took it in under warranty, but have since gone past that, but they fixed the wrong thing.
    But I digress. It pulls great and handles well. I have had a couple of hard stops and the brakes handled it well.
    On the other hand, my next fiver will likely be much heavier, but I will no longer be commuting, so an F350 diesel will be my next truck.
    2015 Ford F350 SRW CrewCab SB 6.7 PSD, Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch
    2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde pin box, 300w of solar
    1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps, RVN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12