User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Nomad

Towing with a F-150 EcoBoost?

Is anyone currently towing a 27RL or 29RS with this TV? The Ford Towing Guide information indicates they are well within the ratings of the 4x4 crew cab when equipped with the max towing and max payload options. Looking for input if you have experience with this TV and 5er combination.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 27RL and 29RS are very new model trailers, and I don't recall anyone saying online about what tow vehicle owners are using.

The Ecoboost 1/2 ton is a very strong tow vehicle equipped properly. You'd have to compare the weights of the trailers vs. the rated capacity of the F150. If the Pin weight's okay, it'll do the job. With the new model F150 coming next month, the 2015 model is going to be absolutely stunning in every way.

One consideration is how far you plan to tow the trailer. Fishermen online say that their Ecoboost engine powered 1/2 tons' fuel mileage is pretty low when towing. The 5.0 liter Coyote V-8 is less expensive initially, and might even get better gas mileage when towing. Another option is to go the F250 diesel if you're going to be traveling long distances.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 27RL and 29RS would be easily towed with an Eco-boost Ford.

Even the 293RES and 303RLS are withing specs of many of those trucks....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 27RL has a hitch weight of 1516 and the 29RL is 1476. I did a quick check of the specs on a 2014 F150 with the ecoboost, 4X4, 3.73 axle. It shows a payload of 1670. Add a passenger and hitch to the truck and you would be overloaded.

I had a 2011 F150, ecoboost, 4X4. Decided to get a trailer, bought an Open Range 297, about 31 feet long. That year the only fuel tank with that engine was 26 gallons (now it is 36 gallons, I think). Terrible gas mileage, especially with a head wind. Had to refuel 3 times once coming from Albuquerque to Amarillo.

Not much room to install an aux. tank and certainly not enough payload.

We were camped in Pagosa Springs a couple of years ago and planned to leave there and camp near South Fork. We went over Wolf Creek pass in the 150 to go fishing. Came down slowly and the brakes faded. I was not about to go over that pass with a trailer so we came home.

I traded the 150 for a F250, diesel, 4X4, short bed. Sold the Open Range and bought a 337. Now I don't worry about any passes. The truck downshifts and I use the brakes sparingly. Came over Monarch pass in Colorado a few weeks ago. No problems.

With the aux. tank I can travel 2 days without refueling. Made a long 1-day trip from Breckenridge to Amarillo in July. Had 3/4 tank of fuel when I arrived home (of course the aux. was empty).

Based upon my experience with a F150 ecoboost, I would not tow a 27 or 29. I have pulled 3 fifth wheels over the past 35 years with 3/4 ton gas engine trucks. I would never go back to a gas engine again to tow a trailer.

Robert
    Robert & Sheila, Amarillo, TX
    2013 F250 short bed crew cab, diesel, 4X4, Firestone air bags
    2014 Reflection 337, Michelin XPS Ribs, Anderson Ultimate Fifth wheel hitch

The Nomad
    Thanks for your comments based on firsthand experience with the EcoBoost. That said if this truck was going to be your daily driver at 20-25K miles per year combined with towing mainly 100 to 200 miles from home for weekend use would you find the F-150 EcoBoost properly equipped acceptable?
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be OK if you opt for the max payload option (GVWR of 8200#). I've seen it reported that a late model eco equipped F150 to be around 6200# ready to camp with a couple of people...still depends on options, gear etc. If that weight is correct, that would give you an available payload of 2000# for pin weight and they're rated for 11300# max towing. Should be doable...

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The F150 should be great for what you describe. I had mine a couple of years, would still have it except we wanted a larger trailer and to travel around quite a lot. If I did not already have a 337 I would be looking at the 29.

Robert
    Robert & Sheila, Amarillo, TX
    2013 F250 short bed crew cab, diesel, 4X4, Firestone air bags
    2014 Reflection 337, Michelin XPS Ribs, Anderson Ultimate Fifth wheel hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nomad,

We tow a 2015 Reflection 303RLS with a 2014 F150 4x4 Ecoboost V6 Crew Cab 6.5 ft box and Reese slider hitch.

The truck has the “Max Payload” suspension . . . and these are hard to find except by factory order.
    A heavier rear axle with 3 full length rear leaf springs (instead of the standard 2) and true truck wheels and 60 psi tires. The visual key to one of these trucks is the unusual 7 lug wheels. The plate on the door of our truck says 2300 lb payload capacity.
    We know we are relatively close to the 17,000 GCWR, but the F150 with all the built in “trailer towing stuff” handles this easily. The truck was obviously designed and tested to its rating.

The truck sits level on its factory suspension with the loaded trailer. See attached picture.
    I installed air lift bags, but we don’t really seem to need them, so I run them at a modest 30 psi to bring the back end up about an inch and cushion the ride a little. More than that and the 5th wheel is no longer level, even at the lowest hitch adjustment.

We have no problem merging on to highways or keeping up with traffic. We don’t have any mountains to climb around here, but reasonable grades are little extra effort. 420 ft lbs of torque with a broad torque curve is more than sufficient. I dial the 6 speed transmission back to 5, use the haul/tow shift schedule . . . and usually run at about 2000 RPM at highway speeds.

Rob (Cate&Rob)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F150 Max Payload & Reflection 303RLS.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	1048
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

The Nomad
    Rob
    Thanks for taking the time to post all the detailed information. The setup you describe is exactly what I intended to order. Your response gives me a much better comfort level.
    Jeff

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff,
    As mentioned earlier in this thread, the 2015 F150 is going to get even better at hauling a 5th wheel and at fuel economy when not towing.
    The new aluminum body and other weight saving will shave 700 lbs off the weight of the truck with most of this going to increased payload.
    This should put the max payload package up near 3000 lbs. GCWR will not change much, so you will still be restricted to the smaller 5th's . . . but this makes sense. There are some other nice additions planned for 2015 as well. See http://articles.philly.com/2014-02-1...roup-new-truck.
    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast