User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Initial Experience with new 2930L

Friday morning we picked up our new 2930L. Traded in our Reflection 337. Swapping contents from one unit to another is rough. You dont realize how much stuff you have and what you dont need. It was a nice hot humid 92 degrees in the Georgia sun. My DW kept saying the 2930 was really hot but the dealer tech kept telling us it was because we had the door open so much. It stayed at a constant 86 inside. No power on 337 so it was really hot. We were so tired we decided to stay the night at a local campground. Boy am I glad we did. It was 72 when we woke up and as the sun came up the the temp in main living area began to rise. Called the dealer and he told us bring it in. Fellow camper let me borrow his infra red heat gun. 2 degree temp differential. So the living area AC was not working. Dealer techs got right on it and they found that the thermostat wire going to the control board insulation had never been stripped before placed in the wire crimp. I am an electrician by trade and let me tell you the wiring practices are extremely shoddy. Checked other connections and some wires were loose in the connectors and poor wire crimps. Also there is a little green sensor wire at the bottom of the thermostat that is supposed to be protruding below the case. It was tucked up inside the thermostat. This is a sensor to detect ambient temperature. In other words it tells the AC when to turn on. It cant do its job properly tucked up inside the thermostat. What else? Faucets plumbed wrong. Hot and cold reversed on the faucets. Somebody color blind at the factory maybe, or in a really big hurry or just plain doesn't know the difference? Simple fixes but extremely aggravating. SHOULD NEVER HAVE LEFT THE FACTORY LIKE THIS! I'M wondering what else will be found.
    There are a couple of items I miss from our 337 that I think should be included on an upgraded Solitude. No interior step light to guide you down those dark steps at night, awning lights are out on the awning rather then mounted to the outside wall, that's a personel preference of mine and there are no motion sensor lights in the bathroom. Just minor differences but I think they should be on the Solitude.
    Overall we really like the 2930. Love the layout. Dont feel we have lost much room compared to the 337. It tows better then the 337 and its easier to maneuver being its shorter. I was concerned about the front cap window letting the bedroom get hot. Not an issue and I kinda like being able to look out. Really from the outside you cant even tell its a window. I wish the discharge pipe was higher off the ground. 8" ground clearance. It passed the test though going up my driveway. I have a dip and a bump to clear and it went right on up. I cringed the first time but DW kept a close eye on it.
    A couple of wishes that I have. We got the residential refrigerator and love it. It has an icemaker which is awesome. No filter though. If anyone has added an inline filter to the icemaker Id appreciate info how you did it. I'm thinking I can tap into the ice maker water shutoff switch at the nautilus unit. IDK why the refrigerator would not come with one. I also plan to mount a water filter for the incoming city water and would appreciate info from someone who has done it. So there you have our first experiences with our new 2930. Kinda of teared up saying goodbye to the 337. Lots of happy memories and trips. Like saying goodbye to an old friend.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being an electrician you might want to take a look at the connections in the AC breaker panel. I had to tighten most of mine. Check it all over. Sometimes insulation has been cut during wiring or not all wire strands are inserted into the breakers. The folks that build these trailers get paid by the piece not by the hour so yes they are in a hurry.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fam5mel View Post
    Friday morning we picked up our new 2930L. Traded in our Reflection 337. Swapping contents from one unit to another is rough. You dont realize how much stuff you have and what you dont need. It was a nice hot humid 92 degrees in the Georgia sun. My DW kept saying the 2930 was really hot but the dealer tech kept telling us it was because we had the door open so much. It stayed at a constant 86 inside. No power on 337 so it was really hot. We were so tired we decided to stay the night at a local campground. Boy am I glad we did. It was 72 when we woke up and as the sun came up the the temp in main living area began to rise. Called the dealer and he told us bring it in. Fellow camper let me borrow his infra red heat gun. 2 degree temp differential. So the living area AC was not working. Dealer techs got right on it and they found that the thermostat wire going to the control board insulation had never been stripped before placed in the wire crimp. I am an electrician by trade and let me tell you the wiring practices are extremely shoddy. Checked other connections and some wires were loose in the connectors and poor wire crimps. Also there is a little green sensor wire at the bottom of the thermostat that is supposed to be protruding below the case. It was tucked up inside the thermostat. This is a sensor to detect ambient temperature. In other words it tells the AC when to turn on. It cant do its job properly tucked up inside the thermostat. What else? Faucets plumbed wrong. Hot and cold reversed on the faucets. Somebody color blind at the factory maybe, or in a really big hurry or just plain doesn't know the difference? Simple fixes but extremely aggravating. SHOULD NEVER HAVE LEFT THE FACTORY LIKE THIS! I'M wondering what else will be found.
    There are a couple of items I miss from our 337 that I think should be included on an upgraded Solitude. No interior step light to guide you down those dark steps at night, awning lights are out on the awning rather then mounted to the outside wall, that's a personel preference of mine and there are no motion sensor lights in the bathroom. Just minor differences but I think they should be on the Solitude.
    Overall we really like the 2930. Love the layout. Dont feel we have lost much room compared to the 337. It tows better then the 337 and its easier to maneuver being its shorter. I was concerned about the front cap window letting the bedroom get hot. Not an issue and I kinda like being able to look out. Really from the outside you cant even tell its a window. I wish the discharge pipe was higher off the ground. 8" ground clearance. It passed the test though going up my driveway. I have a dip and a bump to clear and it went right on up. I cringed the first time but DW kept a close eye on it.
    A couple of wishes that I have. We got the residential refrigerator and love it. It has an icemaker which is awesome. No filter though. If anyone has added an inline filter to the icemaker Id appreciate info how you did it. I'm thinking I can tap into the ice maker water shutoff switch at the nautilus unit. IDK why the refrigerator would not come with one. I also plan to mount a water filter for the incoming city water and would appreciate info from someone who has done it. So there you have our first experiences with our new 2930. Kinda of teared up saying goodbye to the 337. Lots of happy memories and trips. Like saying goodbye to an old friend.
    I'm a retired electrician. The further you look at the wiring the worse it gets. Incredible anything sold to the public undergoes no electrical inspection nor are any requirements made of the electrical installers - they're certainly not electricians! Like Jim mentioned, it would behoove you to check AC connections. Also, anywhere you find a blue wire nut better check if all wires are actually connected. They overload these things with too many conductors.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great report. Thanks for the input on the 2930RL, this is one we have an eye on.
    As stated above check everything you can , it is sad that we have to do this but it makes for our own piece of mind.
    Looking forward to more of your reports.

Brian

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had our 2930 a couple of months and have camped for about 15 days so far. We absolutely love the RV. Fortunately our unit has been perfect so far. There are too many features we like on this RV to list. Cant wait until our next trip in September.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also have the Samsung residential fridge with icemaker in our Solitude. I was also surprised to discover that the fridge had no internal filter. I didn't think any modern french door fridge with an ice maker would not have a filter. We use two filters on the water line coming into the rig. The first filter is a good sediment filter that sits outside. I then put a good quality charcoal element in the filter housing that Grand Design included inside the Nautilus area.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good write up on your experience with the 2930. That is a popular model in between the Reflection and full Solitude with many owners. The step light, yup would be nice to have some small button LEDS to light the steps. Instead we use either the under the sink island lights or the lights above the hutch next to the ceiling to keep the step area lit. Would also be nice to have the area under the steps open for shoes. Some models do.
    The Imagine we had did have the lights on the side of the coach, like you our Solitude doesn't, but does have a nice outside flood and door entry yellow light.
    Yup I don't like our tank discharge pipe so low to the ground either, its a product of running it under the drop frame. So far we haven't encountered any problems and we even have the secondary Valterra Waist Valve attached to the end which makes it a bit lower. I did put a tiny screw in it to keep it from coming off the end of the dump line.
    Right now we still use an external hose water filter at the camp ground faucet, works ok for us, we use bottled water to drink or cook. We have a little counter top ice maker we use at home with bottled water. Our home water is way to hard and clogs everything up. We also use it in the camper when we go out, bottled water used there also.

I know what you mean with the electrical wiring! I spent 25 years in the computer industry dating back to when computers took up an entire room. Punch cards? Remember them? 250 megabyte Disk drives were massive and some used hydraulics to move the disk head. Was always use to neat, tidy and well installed wiring, switches and sensors. RVs are not!

We've had our 3350 since February and had it out several times, so far it has been great! The trim has even stayed in place!
    Last edited by Steven@147; 07-29-2019 at 09:04 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel