User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opinions are exactly that, opinions. Facts are also facts. To each his own, but to knowingly grossly exceed stated design weight limits is unsafe and irresponsible. The question is that statement an opinion or a fact? I’m guessing GDRV will never advise to overload their product because it has a “wide security measure baked in”. In fact GDRV states not to exceed limits specified on every unit they make.
    Your words ring true to buy the unit you like and go out and enjoy it. That is great advice. I would add to that the operation of the unit be within manufacturer’s specification to ensure safe, responsible use and enjoyment of the unit.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I am sure I will get some flack from several of you but in my situation and with my setup, I don't feel like I need a WD hitch. My tow vehicle is a 2015 Ram 2500 crew cab with factory air ride auto leveling suspension. I took the 2250RK on it's maiden voyage last weekend and during the drive I had to deal with 20-30mph crosswinds while on the freeway. At no point did I feel any sway or have it pull the TV around. Granted I am towing a 6K pound TT with a 9K pound truck. But the air suspension on the truck leveled out the rear of my truck without issue and the from fender was only 7/16" higher than unloaded....so I got lucky and as of now don't think I will end up buying a WD hitch for my setup. If I had a 1/2 ton truck, there would be no question that I would want one...
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavysledz View Post
    Well, I am sure I will get some flack from several of you but in my situation and with my setup, I don't feel like I need a WD hitch. My tow vehicle is a 2015 Ram 2500 crew cab with factory air ride auto leveling suspension. I took the 2250RK on it's maiden voyage last weekend and during the drive I had to deal with 20-30mph crosswinds while on the freeway. At no point did I feel any sway or have it pull the TV around. Granted I am towing a 6K pound TT with a 9K pound truck. But the air suspension on the truck leveled out the rear of my truck without issue and the from fender was only 7/16" higher than unloaded....so I got lucky and as of now don't think I will end up buying a WD hitch for my setup. If I had a 1/2 ton truck, there would be no question that I would want one...
    No flack here, the 2250RK will have about 900# on the bumper of your truck which is quite acceptable, IMO. The auto levelling is almost cosmetic and is irrelevant from my perspective. The point of a WD hitch would be to apply some of the 900# bumper weight to the front axle of the truck and a touch to the trailer axle. On your truck it is likely not needed. If you however load the box with some stuff, like a generator or other heavy items, you could be close to overloading the rear axle while unloading the front axle, at which point a WD hitch would maintain stability as you get some weight applied to the steering axle. Neighbour had a truck much like yours (not a Laramie) with a 26 foot Surveyor. He towed without WD using after market air suspension for a couple of years. When he CAT scaled the rig, he was very surprised how much weight he had on the rear axle. He picked up an Equalizer for $200 and was surprised how his good ride turned into a great ride.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    No flack here, the 2250RK will have about 900# on the bumper of your truck which is quite acceptable, IMO. The auto levelling is almost cosmetic and is irrelevant from my perspective. The point of a WD hitch would be to apply some of the 900# bumper weight to the front axle of the truck and a touch to the trailer axle. On your truck it is likely not needed. If you however load the box with some stuff, like a generator or other heavy items, you could be close to overloading the rear axle while unloading the front axle, at which point a WD hitch would maintain stability as you get some weight applied to the steering axle. Neighbour had a truck much like yours (not a Laramie) with a 26 foot Surveyor. He towed without WD using after market air suspension for a couple of years. When he CAT scaled the rig, he was very surprised how much weight he had on the rear axle. He picked up an Equalizer for $200 and was surprised how his good ride turned into a great ride.
    Yea, all of your points make perfect sense and I will get it on the scales in the near future.....my only concern is how the WD hitch may affect how the air-ride auto leveling system works as it automatically adjusts the ride height and if I put a WD hitch on it may raise the rear of the truck and the air system my try to compensate by letting air out of the rear suspension and alter the ride characteristics....

Since I saw less than half an inch of rise I the front, and I do load anything that goes in the bed of the truck forward of the axle, that I should be good to go...only time will tell.

I have been contemplating getting out of a diesel and going with a 3/4 ton gasser for cost savings since I really have no need for a diesel anymore....
    Last edited by Heavysledz; 04-02-2021 at 11:48 AM.
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123