User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Subwoofer is on but no sound...

So picked up our new 320G on Saturday and the stereo fidelity is way off..I figured out the subwoofer is powered and on, however no sound regardless of the sub volume setting. Anyone have recommendations before I add it to the list to go back to the dealer?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No too familiar with what is in the 320G in the way of a radio, but..... if you can access the rear of the radio you can check to see the wires too the sub are connected - same goes for the connections on the speaker... if you happen to have or know some with a tone tester you can tone test it using the wires that are behind the radio.

Unless it is wireless. In which case you may need to re-sync the radio/sound system to the speaker.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check to make sure the sub is wired in phase with the rest of your speakers.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the responses. Rather than go back to the dealer, I'd rather pull the head unit and rule out a loose connection or miswiring.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you about not going back to the dealer. I'm always afraid they'll maybe-fix one thing and break at least one more thing (and not even realize it).

If you get the head unit off and find the subwoofer wires you can disconnect them, go the sub and disconnect those wires and connect them together and then put an ohm meter on the 2 wires behind the head unit; it should show continuity. Then disconnect the wires at the sub and check that the wires aren't grounded.
    Larry KE4DMG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I give up. The preamp output wires are RCA and wires going into the sub are 4 white unmarked.

Either they spliced the wires behind the wall or there is an amp in the wall. Anyone’s guess.

Looks like s trip to dealer. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of receiver/amp do you have? How many wires actually plug into the sub? And is it of the same brand as the receiver/amp? 4 wires going to a sub (or any speaker) that sounds weird.

Maybe just wire up an RCA plug to 2 wires and run them across the floor just to test it without the GD wiring.
    Larry KE4DMG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea. However. Sub input is a proprietary harness. I don’t want to muck with cutting wires since it’s a warranty issue.

Btw. 4 wire input harness not uncommon for phased subs. I’m guessing with this unit two of the wires are just shunted. Maybe that’s where they messed up the connection.

Anyways. Jensen JWA 70a receiver and no marking on the sub. Just Rockford Fosgate emblem. Must be OEM stuff.

I checked the build sheet and it is the upgraded RF sound system. It sounds absolutely terrible. I’m guessing there is a blown amp in the loop. No sign of an external amp.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for sure - no telling what GD did to wire that sub to that Jensen. The Jensen doesn't even have a sub output. So they probably tapped one of the usual speaker outputs. i didn't know about the 4 wire setup to a sub. I always thought phasing was just a matter of keeping the + and - connections to speakers the same. Live-and-learn, thanks for the info.

There must be a converted, preamp, or amp or something hidden away. Maybe call GD customer service first before dragging the whole rig to a dealer (that may have less knowledge than you).

I have that same Jensen. It sounds awful but since I don't listen to it much I tolerate it (for now). Pretty cheesy speakers too. I put a sound bar and remote sub on my TV for decent sound.
    Larry KE4DMG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 on the dealer being clueless. No names here to protect the guilty however our “expert walkthrough” was a joke. The kid kept trying to jamb pins into our happijac system and couldn’t. We have the new bed system that does not require pins. That’s just some of the erroneous info he gave us in the trailer. And they setup my hitch to low. Anyways. No sense in complaining on a perfect summer day.