User Tag List

Thread: Friction Hinges

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friction Hinges

Hello Everyone,

We are new owners of a Grand Design Imagine 2250RK and new to this forum. I have a question about the friction hinges. The doors are incredible difficult to open and close. I understand that they are supposed to help keep the door from slamming in the wind but there is way too much friction, particularly on the rear door. We have lubed the hinges and it does not help. Some hinges have set screws to adjust them, ours does not have them. Any suggestions other than replacing hinges?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Send GD an email, they will really help! https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have those hinges on our Imagine 2970 RL. REALLY hated them at firs, now I'm getting used to. I do lubricate them a couple times a year which seems to help a tiny bit. Second summer using our camper (almost every other weekend) I think the hinges are loosening up a little.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TyeeMan View Post
    We have those hinges on our Imagine 2970 RL. REALLY hated them at firs, now I'm getting used to. I do lubricate them a couple times a year which seems to help a tiny bit. Second summer using our camper (almost every other weekend) I think the hinges are loosening up a little.
    I have a 17MKE and have the opposite problem. My door used to be super tight si I used dry lube and now it swings with the slightest breeze. Any ideas on how to increase friction>

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They loosen up with use!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also a screen door cross bar handle helps also. Like the one below.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Screen-...03&sr=8-7&th=1

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to lube (recommend from the top - gravity) and have them loosen up. I did ours to alleviate a squeak and now they barely have any friction (whoops!)

The specific lubricant used probably matters. I’d tell you what I used but I can’t recall right now :/
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hated them a lot. Now they're free swinging. What did I do? I used a 1/4" wide x 8" long chisel and gently opened the hinge loop open. Tapped the chisel parallel to and down the opening. Took about 20 minute's of working to get the 3 hinges opening freely. Then, I lubed the heck out of them.
    2022 337RLS & 2017 CTD Ram long bed
    720w of solar & Victron MPPT/battery monitors
    4x100AHr LiPo batteries & 2500w PSW
    Lots of other mods too....

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MG17MKE View Post
    I have a 17MKE and have the opposite problem. My door used to be super tight si I used dry lube and now it swings with the slightest breeze. Any ideas on how to increase friction>
    On my previous trailer we had the friction hinges and loved them for their purpose. now after a couple years of use the main door started to squeak pretty loud when used. We had our second child and this squeak needed dealt with as the noise killed the ability to put him down and get out of the trailer easy. Not thinking about the friction part I hit all three hinges with fluid film and the squeak was gone in no time but now the door was all over the place.

I hit the hinges with dawn soap and washed multiple times and it helped some but still not back to where I wanted. We got told to use break clean to remove the oil but never did that before trading it off(did not trade due to this issue ha).

So maybe give break clean a try
    Anthony & SarahJayne
    2022 Imagine 2910BH