User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 watt inverter recommendation

This is my thought. We will be hitting a couple Harvest Host spots in a few months. We got used to a sound machine for sleeping. It pulls .5 amps. Maybe a small fan to move air. Run coffee in the am.

Do not want to hook up to panel. Just run extension cord when needed.

Is 1500 enough, which model (pure sine wave)?

Will stock oem battery (1) be enough for that every once in a blue moon?

I have a 2800 watt Honda generator for anything needing more power.....
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at this.

1500W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter DC 12v to AC 110v-120v with 4.8A Dual USB Ports and Remote Control LCD Display for Home RV Truck https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T2GNHQM..._oBsxDbR6RW6E4
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1500W should be a good size. Coffee maker uses what 1000W?

I tend to stick with the inverter brands that have been around awhile.
    AIMS, GoPower, Xantrex, Magnum, KISAE, Samlex.

A couple that are similar watts and price:
    AIMS Power PWRI150012120S Pure Sine Power Inverter, 1500 Watt Continuous Power, 3000 Peak Power, 12V DC, USB Port, Listed to UL 458, 2 Year Warranty
    $263
    https://invertersrus.com/product/aims-pwri150012s/
    https://www.amazon.com/PWRI150012120.../dp/B07JNCD6VZ

KISAE Technology SW1220 2000W True Sine Wave Power Inverter
    $279 https://invertersrus.com/product/kisae-sw1220/
    $337 https://www.amazon.com/KISAE-Technol.../dp/B008NOEWG8
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had great luck with Samlex. I use a 1500w on our boat to run a Ninja blender to make.. er, fruit drinks for the kids, yeah, that's it.
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, stick with names that have been around and have a good reputation. I never just install an inverter, I install combo inverter/charger units and I usually wire it to all AC outlets at a minimum. Going to have the same wiring and cable runs anyway, just the addition of some romex to the charger from the breaker box and disconnecting the stock converter from the breaker box. The inverter/charger auto switches when shore power hooked up or disconnected and is a multi phase charger which you can set for type of batteries and other parameters. It also has built in 15amp breaker on the AC out if it is a 2000w inverter/charger so no need to have AC outlets on RV breaker box.

I have had preference for Xantrex true sine wave units.
    Last edited by Copperhead; 09-01-2019 at 10:43 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
    I agree, stick with names that have been around and have a good reputation. I never just install an inverter, I install combo inverter/charger units and I usually wire it to all AC outlets at a minimum. Going to have the same wiring and cable runs anyway, just the addition of some romex to the charger from the breaker box and disconnecting the stock converter from the breaker box. The inverter/charger auto switches when shore power hooked up or disconnected and is a multi phase charger which you can set for type of batteries and other parameters. It also has built in 15amp breaker on the AC out if it is a 2000w inverter/charger so no need to have AC outlets on RV breaker box.

I have had preference for Xantrex true sine wave units.
    Will the existing wire from the oem converter just go right into the new inverter/charger then?

Also does this mean all outlets can be accessed on battery and no switch to worry about?
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    Will the existing wire from the oem converter just go right into the new inverter/charger then?

Also does this mean all outlets can be accessed on battery and no switch to worry about?
    No. The converter just becomes a non issue since the inverter/charger is maintaining batts. The leads that went from the converter to the AC breaker are disconnected. They can then be tied off and stuffed along side the converter.

The typical install, the converter leads are removed and stashed. The AC outlets lead is also removed from their respective breaker. One then replaces the 15 amp breaker for rhe AC outlets with a 30amp breaker and plugs the Romex (AC hot,neutral,and ground wiring) that goes back to the AC input of the inverter/charger. Then another Romex line is run from the AC output side of the inverter/charger to the AC outlets junction at the breaker box. The inverter/charger becomes the 15 amp breaker for the outlets.

Yes. The inverter/ charger has it own internal transfer switch. If the IC is wired to the AC outlets, they will have power continuously. When on batts alone, the inverter portion of inverter/charger supplies AC. When on shore power, the AC is passed thru the IC to the outlets. The user sees no change back and forth. The switching is done internally in the inverter/charger. And while on shorepower, the charger portion charges the batts while also passing AC thru to outlets. One can always turn off the inverter/charger to preclude any AC getting to outlets. Just like switching off a breaker. And if the internal breaker of the inverter/charger is tripped, simple push button to reset it.

I have used inverter/chargers for a couple of decades. I rarely use inverters alone in a mobile application. Inverters or Inverter/chargers must both be located as close to batts as possible, but not in the same compartment to avoid a spark from the IC igniting battery gasses. The proper cable used (typically 1/0 or 2/0) and there must be a fuse junction placed in the positive cable no further than 18 inches from batts. A 150 amp fuse is common.

It is not complicated, but it can be a lengthy an sometimes frustrating project. But in the end, a wonderful setup to have AC at all outlets (or even also to a component like the microwave) 24/7.
    Last edited by Copperhead; 09-02-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decided on just inverter for now.....do I ground to frame (has ground nub)?

Thought I read where grounding would not let their unit run correctly? Like I said information overload.

And going from inverter to 50 amp plug on outside of rv is OK or not with hard wired ems.....
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    Decided on just inverter for now.....do I ground to frame (has ground nub)?
    Yes run a wire from that terminal to the frame.
    That wire only comes into play if there is a malfunction in the inverter that shorts internal parts to the inverter's metal case.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips..

Now to try to find the thread concerning plugging into rv directly if I have ems hardwired..

And do I need a cutoff switch.....isn't off on the inverter a no battery draw
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast