User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

375 Res Rear Bumper

Hi Folks. We have a 2018 Solitude 375 Res. Anyone install a Bike Rack on the rear bumper? The rating is 200 lbs max. Its not ideal since you have to remove it to access the rear compartment but curious if anyone has. My concern is our 2 electric bikes weigh 49.5 lbs each. The bike rack weighs 50 lbs. So total is 150 lbs which is less then 200 lbs but I wonder if by hitting bumps while driving it will create a downward force greater then what the bumper can handle. Thanks in advance!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a receiver hitch (class 4 I think) installed on our 375res. I'd never mount anything to the rear bumper only.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many threads on this - a bumper mount bike rack is an EXTREMELY bad idea. Get a receiver welded on. Also, make SURE the bike rack is rated for RV use - there are very, very few (you must download the manual and check the disclaimers in it - no other way to find out). Even fewer for e-bikes. But, Swagman sells one for e-bikes. There was a thread about this very subject just a couple of weeks ago.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input. I might have worded my question incorrectly. I was going to mount a receiver to the bumper. They kind of receiver that has 4 bolts and essentially sandwiches the bumper. Rated for 200lbs of cargo. I guess that is what the bumper is rated for as well? I would install a bike rack that goes into the 2" receiver. Does that sound better?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bike Rack is a Kuat NV 2.0. Excellent bike rack rated to handle 130 lbs of bike.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From page 14 of the Kuat NV 2.0 User Manual:

• Do not use this product on a recreational vehicle or trailer.

The bumper may be rated for up to 200 lbs direct load on it, but you are greatly increasing the load by putting it on a lever that sticks out behind the bumper. It's been a LONG time since high school physics, but if you have 150 lbs on the bumper directly, that would be 150 foot pounds of downward force. If the rack extends out 2 feet, that would be somewhere up to 450 ft-lbs of force on the bumper (those with better knowledge, please fine tune my answer!). Which is bumping up and down as you drive, trying to twist the bumper off. Many bolt on frame hitches have similar restrictions - so the solution is to get a robust receiver hitch assembly welded on to the frame of the trailer from a hitch shop. Some try adding bumper reinforcements, but until I see actual numbers from testing as to how much additional they add to the weight carrying ability, I'd stay away.

It is unknown whether rack manufacturers just don't test their racks on RV's, and are just giving themselves an out if the rack fails - or do and have determined they can't stand up to the longer distance between the wheels and the rack (greater amount of up and down bouncing). So one must shop carefully for one that clearly states it is permitted to be used on an RV.

Yakima also makes one model for RV's - but I have not looked to see if its weight limits allow for e-bikes. Me? I put my e-bikes in the bed of the truck, but I have a TT and not a fifth.

Google the subject - some get away with it, some do not. I can usually see at least one RV in every campground that has a messed up bumper.... And if it fails when you're going down the highway at 65 mph.....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sande,

Thank-you for your response. This was my biggest concern about how much force the bike rack would have sticking beyond the bumper. Campers Inn out of Merrimack, NH talked to their Solitude Rep who said a hitch mounted to the bumper would void the frame warranty. I will seek other options I have considered. Thanks everyone who gave input!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we removed the factory installed bumper and a welder installed a much thicker and heavier rear bumper, then a receiver hitch was welded to the bumper for our bike rack.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flintstones. Thank-you! This is what I am looking into. I assume no problems. What kind of bike rack?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckolsson View Post
    Hi Folks. We have a 2018 Solitude 375 Res. Anyone install a Bike Rack on the rear bumper? The rating is 200 lbs max. Its not ideal since you have to remove it to access the rear compartment but curious if anyone has. My concern is our 2 electric bikes weigh 49.5 lbs each. The bike rack weighs 50 lbs. So total is 150 lbs which is less then 200 lbs but I wonder if by hitting bumps while driving it will create a downward force greater then what the bumper can handle. Thanks in advance!
    I too needed a bike rack on my 310GK so decided to go with a welded hitch receiver. I did not want to take any chances voiding my frame warranty so called Lippert and asked if they can do this at their shop. Yep, not only did they handle this in 1 day but made notes in my file using my VIN number showing the hitch receiver was installed by them, and of course a receipt showing the same. The shop manager assured me that since they are the folks who manufactured the frame in the first place, the frame warranty would not be voided. Made sense to me and was a decent price as well. Here are the LCI locations https://www.lci1.com/locations.

Here's the bike rack I use, of course did not use their bumper adapter (what would be the point). https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Appro...g-goods&sr=1-1
    Last edited by Markb777; 08-07-2019 at 08:44 PM.
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    Titan Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000 with X Factor Crossmember
    2022 GMC 3500HD Duramax Crew Cab, 4x4, SRW 6’ box
    Factory 5th/Gooseneck Prep with 20K Reese Goosebox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast