Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attaching to an Exterior Wall

I have a 2016 Reflection 337RLS and want to mount some coat hooks and broom clips on the exterior wall between the exterior door and the bedroom door. My plan is to attach a maple board, which I have finished to match the interior woodwork in the unit and then mount the coat hooks and broom clips to that. From other postings on the forum, I have learned that the exterior wall has 1-1/2” aluminum framing with foam insulation and that the interior panel is 3/16” thick and covered in wallpaper. I would like to attach my board to the aluminum frame, but using a stud finder, I have not been able to locate the aluminum framing. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding the framing or other suggestions on securing my mounting board? I have attached a photo shows the general area where I want to attach my mounting board.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reflection wall mount location.jpg  

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Paul,

I have contemplated attaching something similar to that same wall . . . and come up agains the same problem . . . can't find the framing.
    On a high humidity morning after the AC has been on all night and the interior is cold, you can see the framing in the condensation pattern on the outside. I tried to take pictures of this, but was only able to capture the frames around the door. The next one that I could find going forward was beside the bedroom window. There must be more in between ? I thought that maybe the magnetic latches were into the aluminum frame and I could use this spacing, but from the condensation pictures, this does not seem to be the case.

I would try contacting Grand Design and although they will not likely provide drawings, they might provide dimensions from some reference point.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1322.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the 3M hooks http://www.amazon.com/Command-Tradit...words=3M+hooks

They work great!
    Glenn and Paula Butler
    2015 Momentum 328M
    2012 Chevy 3500 Dually
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2butler View Post
    I used the 3M hooks http://www.amazon.com/Command-Tradit...words=3M+hooks

They work great!
    Many have had these strips pull the wallpaper off the veneer wall underneath.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob & Paul--I too had the same questions several months ago and wonderful Janice at GDRV Customer Care referred me to David Hilliker, Regional Service Manager. He, as is the case with GDRV corporate folks was promptly "the shell answer man." Here is his contact information I have: [email protected] 574-825-9679.

In the area in question, with our generation 303 there is a vertical stud at about 265" on center from the rear exterior of the RV with no horizontal members other than the top and bottom sections. This stud is essential just forward of center of the storage compartment door. I have not installed my coat rack yet, but plan to do so when we take our 303 out of storage after I get a little more clarification on a couple questions I still have.

Let me know if more questions.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To install my hand rail in that area I used a deep scanning stud finder.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the cool early morning moisture on the outside of unit showing the frame work. I measured the studs outside and transferred to inside. Measured from door frame and window frames. Worked perfect.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Many have had these strips pull the wallpaper off the veneer wall underneath.

Rob
    I have never had it hapen. I guess I do not or hang items on them. One coat one hook kinda thing. It's been over a year no issues, might just be lucky though.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also use the 3M hooks and have had no problems. Of course we follow the weather and don't use heavy coats.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Adams View Post
    I have a 2016 Reflection 337RLS and want to mount some coat hooks and broom clips on the exterior wall between the exterior door and the bedroom door. My plan is to attach a maple board, which I have finished to match the interior woodwork in the unit and then mount the coat hooks and broom clips to that. From other postings on the forum, I have learned that the exterior wall has 1-1/2” aluminum framing with foam insulation and that the interior panel is 3/16” thick and covered in wallpaper. I would like to attach my board to the aluminum frame, but using a stud finder, I have not been able to locate the aluminum framing. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding the framing or other suggestions on securing my mounting board? I have attached a photo shows the general area where I want to attach my mounting board.
    Hi @Paul Adams,

I've taken the liberty of asking Ryan Prough, the Warranty Manager here at Grand Design RV, to contact you. Or if is more convenient for you, as Rob (@Cate&Rob) suggested in post # 2, please feel free to contact Ryan or our Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 for assistance.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast