User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corner trim screws on underside of overhang

After my break-in run I noted 7 different problems with my 2016 27RL. I took it to the dealer in September {9/8/15} and they did their inspection and told me they had to order parts.
    The 7 items that needed attention was,
    1- the KantLeak valve was not switching water flow (part ordered),
    2- the rubber molding around all of the sliding windows had shrunk causing dust and water to enter the unit (parts ordered),
    3- the heater burner would cycle on and off without heating up the heat chamber,
    4- the trim on the underside of the overhang only had 4 screws installed on the left side and 6 screws on the right side. Only two of the existing screw holes had been utilized, whereas the screws that were present were installed between the drilled holes,
    5- The right side cargo door would not shut because it would bind up on the front corner (part ordered),
    6- The left side cargo door was installed with the frame protruding about 1/2 inch away from the wall of the 5th wheel,
    7- the trim at the stem inside the unit had excessive putty to cover up the fact that the mitered cuts did not match (part ordered).

My dealer called me on November 16 and said the parts were finally in and asked when I could bring it in. I set up an appointment for Nov. 17 (Tuesday) and advised them that I was going on a cruise starting on the 24th of November. They said that they would attempt to have it completed by the end of the week so I could pick it up before I left for the cruise. I did not hear from my dealer until I received a phone call as I was in the process of boarding the ship on the 24th. I asked if all of the repairs were completed and was told that "yes, they were completed".
    We got back from our cruise on December 10th and I called my dealer on the morning of the 11th inquiring if I could pick it up and confirming that all the repairs were completed. My 'service writer' told me that all of the repairs were completed and I could pick it up at 10:30 that morning. I proceeded to the dealer and completed the paperwork, again confirming that all the repairs were completed. I then inspected my unit for any damage and noted that the left side cargo door had not been reset. Upon seeing that I inspected the trim under the overhang and saw that nothing had been done to replace the missing screws. I also found that the molding on the inside step had not been replaced, however there was a piece of trim laying next to the step. I notified the service writer and he confirmed that the repairs had not been completed as previously stated and I could leave the unit so they could be completed. I refused to leave it again and told him I would fix it myself. I do not know if the KantLeak valve is functioning because it is too cold here to install water into the unit (I have it winterized).
    I got my 5th wheel home and reset the cargo door so it was flush with the side of the unit. I cut and replaced the trim piece by the inside step. I can not find the proper screws at my hardware store to replace the missing screws on the overhang trim.

Can Grand Design send me enough screws to properly attach the corner trim (both sides) and possible steer me in the proper direction in repairing the furnace?
    thanks
    Mike and Margarete
    2016 27RL
    2020 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gestern1 View Post
    After my break-in run I noted 7 different problems with my 2016 27RL. I took it to the dealer in September {9/8/15} and they did their inspection and told me they had to order parts.
    The 7 items that needed attention was,
    1- the KantLeak valve was not switching water flow (part ordered),
    2- the rubber molding around all of the sliding windows had shrunk causing dust and water to enter the unit (parts ordered),
    3- the heater burner would cycle on and off without heating up the heat chamber,
    4- the trim on the underside of the overhang only had 4 screws installed on the left side and 6 screws on the right side. Only two of the existing screw holes had been utilized, whereas the screws that were present were installed between the drilled holes,
    5- The right side cargo door would not shut because it would bind up on the front corner (part ordered),
    6- The left side cargo door was installed with the frame protruding about 1/2 inch away from the wall of the 5th wheel,
    7- the trim at the stem inside the unit had excessive putty to cover up the fact that the mitered cuts did not match (part ordered).

My dealer called me on November 16 and said the parts were finally in and asked when I could bring it in. I set up an appointment for Nov. 17 (Tuesday) and advised them that I was going on a cruise starting on the 24th of November. They said that they would attempt to have it completed by the end of the week so I could pick it up before I left for the cruise. I did not hear from my dealer until I received a phone call as I was in the process of boarding the ship on the 24th. I asked if all of the repairs were completed and was told that "yes, they were completed".
    We got back from our cruise on December 10th and I called my dealer on the morning of the 11th inquiring if I could pick it up and confirming that all the repairs were completed. My 'service writer' told me that all of the repairs were completed and I could pick it up at 10:30 that morning. I proceeded to the dealer and completed the paperwork, again confirming that all the repairs were completed. I then inspected my unit for any damage and noted that the left side cargo door had not been reset. Upon seeing that I inspected the trim under the overhang and saw that nothing had been done to replace the missing screws. I also found that the molding on the inside step had not been replaced, however there was a piece of trim laying next to the step. I notified the service writer and he confirmed that the repairs had not been completed as previously stated and I could leave the unit so they could be completed. I refused to leave it again and told him I would fix it myself. I do not know if the KantLeak valve is functioning because it is too cold here to install water into the unit (I have it winterized).
    I got my 5th wheel home and reset the cargo door so it was flush with the side of the unit. I cut and replaced the trim piece by the inside step. I can not find the proper screws at my hardware store to replace the missing screws on the overhang trim.

Can Grand Design send me enough screws to properly attach the corner trim (both sides) and possible steer me in the proper direction in repairing the furnace?
    thanks
    Hi Mike and Margarete (@gestern1),

I've taken the liberty of asking Ryan Prough, the Warranty Manager here at Grand Design RV, to contact you to discuss. Or if it is more convenient for you, please feel free to contact Ryan at our Customer Support direct phone number of (574) 825-9679.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

Official home, NW Missouri. In Solitude mostly now
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you turned on the gas and tried to ignite and run your stovetop? Run it for a good few minutes

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2015 RAM Cummins B&W Companion Slider

2015 Solitude 365DEN

Anthony, Amanda, and their 2 munchkins. Fulltiming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Anthony. That is the first thing I do whenever my bottles are turned on or replaced, just to purge the air from the lines.

I am currently working with Jerry at Grand Design (who is in contact with Atwood) to find the fix for this problem.
    Mike and Margarete
    2016 27RL
    2020 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Official home, NW Missouri. In Solitude mostly now
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2015 RAM Cummins B&W Companion Slider

2015 Solitude 365DEN

Anthony, Amanda, and their 2 munchkins. Fulltiming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick followup on the Atwood heater issue. I was able to get the attention of Jeff Hood from Atwood and he pointed me in the proper direction concerning my heater burner not staying lit.
    Essentially, if you have this type of problem, the first thing to remember is that if you have the door off the heater (on the outside) you have to remove the exhaust tube from the door and install it on the exhaust port. The tube has a baffle and the burner control needs to sense the restriction.
    Secondly, the sail switch seems to be able to get dirty (yeah, I know that I have a new unit) enough that it will lose contact causing the circuit to believe that the blower has shut down. I took it off and sprayed contact cleaner into the switch where the paddle comes out.
    After these items were taken care of the heater ran better. The only other thing that I had to do was inspect where the vent tubes contacted the duct work. Some of the holes in the duct work were very much smaller than the tubes causing a loss of air flow.
    Quality control seems to depend on a variable of items with none of them making sense.
    Mike and Margarete
    2016 27RL
    2020 Dodge 2500 Diesel