User Tag List

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The write up I read mimics what Bamaman said. Simply put this bigger engine is meant to use its torque lower in the RPM range and pull heavy loads all day long. It's mot drag racing and daily driving that make that motor shine. I personally think it's a good move on Ford's part. I'd like to see Ram follow suit!
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t understand how a gas motor with aftermarket turbo, injectors, computer and who knows what, is comparable to a turbo diesel motor designed to haul big loads with a factory warranty.

I’m very happy with my truck. I’m never in a hurry but I’ve yet to be passed by any gas truck towing an equal sized trailer up an 8% several mile long grade. I simply want a smooth powerful and safe truck. And I feel our truck fits that need.

As as they say, YMMV.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people never look at rear end gear ratio and I can tell you it has huge impact. Unless you go with diesel it has one of biggest advantages for gas burner. I have 2012 Toyota Tundra with 5.7 L and 4.30 rear end and it will out tow my friends 2018 2500 Silverado with 6.0 L gas and 4.10 rear end ratio. 2500 has mush better load capacity and stopping power but the low rear end ratio on Tundra leaves Silverado trying to catch up going up mountains with 7% grades. Transmission with more gears also has advantages of finding better sweet spot when towing. I lock out 5th and 6th gears in mountains and 6th gear on flat land to keep transmission from shifting all the time, takes a little more gas but saves transmission from constantly shifting. When buying gas burner try to get lowest rear end gear ratio you can.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmjunior View Post
    I would like to meet one of the owners of these modern diesel trucks suddenly start blowing up and costing them thousands of dollars every time they start. Anyone here on this forum?
    Yes, I can answer this one. I have 2 nephews who live in NW Colo. in cowboy country. They are both younger & starting families. Both had to have big high powered high dollar diesel pickups. In cowboy country you gotta keep up with the Jones' whether you can afford it or not. One bought a Dodge dually a couple of years old. Nice looking truck, only good thing he did was get a extended warranty. Because they got to find out how good it was. Motor shelled out, $12000 repair bill. Then gets rid of it & buys another gotta mechanic Cummins. Some people don't learn fast. The other nephew buys a 08 F-250 Super Duty low miles. 6.4 binder diesel. I also had this same engine. I drove it 50,000 miles & got rid of it as soon as the warranty was off. Got my current 2012 gas V8. Anyway my nephew drives this 4-5 years, gets around 90,000 miles on it. Injector fails, piston gone engine gone. No warranty. He sells a skid steer he owns so he can have a $12,000 replacement engine installed. By the time he is done $15,000, on a truck with basically 90,000 miles. A gas engine would run 3 times that many miles. So, he doesn't want to have the same thing happen again & drives it to Texas & trades it in for a brand new F-350 power stroke. LMAO. Money to burn baby. But, he learned the hard way. Now he is going to trade every 5 years to stay under the warranty. If he would have bought the 08 truck with a gas engine he would still be driving around today and have $20,000 in his back pocket. Also worked with a guy on a const. site in Durango just a few years back, had a Dodge dually Cummins motor went out. Burnt piston. He was coming over Wolf Creek on a Sunday night at midnight it burnt another piston and there he sat on top of Wolf Creek. Hauled it to Durango, the garage refused to fix it again. He had it hauled to Farmington NM where they put the 3rd Cummings rebuilt in his truck. That's what happens when you get their patched up junk rebuilt engines. And that happens to all brands. In the dirt const. industry we live by a saying " if is not a CAT diesel its definitely a dog." I hope that the new 6.7 power strokes are a lot better, But with all the new technology I don't buy it. Not for long term year after year use. If I was going to get a diesel today I'd go with the 6. L binder diesel with the bullet proofing. That way you can run with the open exhaust with out all the other BS. I hear that they are awesome once they have been bullet proofed. After market can always do things right. That the factory cant. Same things with transmissions in all makes. They barely adequate. If you loose a transmission go after market as they will bullet proof any trans mission out there & improve it by 50%. by the way living around the 4 corners & mountains where we do there are 1000's of RV being pulled through here weekly seen plenty of them along the road waiting for the tow truck or service. They certainly not bullet proof. Hope that you enjoyed my post, I just tell it like it is.
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Olin View Post
    Yes, I can answer this one. I have 2 nephews who live in NW Colo. in cowboy country. They are both younger & starting families. Both had to have big high powered high dollar diesel pickups. In cowboy country you gotta keep up with the Jones' whether you can afford it or not. One bought a Dodge dually a couple of years old. Nice looking truck, only good thing he did was get a extended warranty. Because they got to find out how good it was. Motor shelled out, $12000 repair bill. Then gets rid of it & buys another gotta mechanic Cummins. Some people don't learn fast. The other nephew buys a 08 F-250 Super Duty low miles. 6.4 binder diesel. I also had this same engine. I drove it 50,000 miles & got rid of it as soon as the warranty was off. Got my current 2012 gas V8. Anyway my nephew drives this 4-5 years, gets around 90,000 miles on it. Injector fails, piston gone engine gone. No warranty. He sells a skid steer he owns so he can have a $12,000 replacement engine installed. By the time he is done $15,000, on a truck with basically 90,000 miles. A gas engine would run 3 times that many miles. So, he doesn't want to have the same thing happen again & drives it to Texas & trades it in for a brand new F-350 power stroke. LMAO. Money to burn baby. But, he learned the hard way. Now he is going to trade every 5 years to stay under the warranty. If he would have bought the 08 truck with a gas engine he would still be driving around today and have $20,000 in his back pocket. Also worked with a guy on a const. site in Durango just a few years back, had a Dodge dually Cummins motor went out. Burnt piston. He was coming over Wolf Creek on a Sunday night at midnight it burnt another piston and there he sat on top of Wolf Creek. Hauled it to Durango, the garage refused to fix it again. He had it hauled to Farmington NM where they put the 3rd Cummings rebuilt in his truck. That's what happens when you get their patched up junk rebuilt engines. And that happens to all brands. In the dirt const. industry we live by a saying " if is not a CAT diesel its definitely a dog." I hope that the new 6.7 power strokes are a lot better, But with all the new technology I don't buy it. Not for long term year after year use. If I was going to get a diesel today I'd go with the 6. L binder diesel with the bullet proofing. That way you can run with the open exhaust with out all the other BS. I hear that they are awesome once they have been bullet proofed. After market can always do things right. That the factory cant. Same things with transmissions in all makes. They barely adequate. If you loose a transmission go after market as they will bullet proof any trans mission out there & improve it by 50%. by the way living around the 4 corners & mountains where we do there are 1000's of RV being pulled through here weekly seen plenty of them along the road waiting for the tow truck or service. They certainly not bullet proof. Hope that you enjoyed my post, I just tell it like it is.
    The examples here are of someone elses 10+ year old trucks. Is there anyone here on the forum with a modern diesel; 6.7L Powerstroke, 6.6L Duramax or 6.7L Cummins who is experiencing the $12k+ repair bills? I would honestly like to hear their stories as I just purchased my first diesel (and also my first Ford).
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    Most people never look at rear end gear ratio and I can tell you it has huge impact. Unless you go with diesel it has one of biggest advantages for gas burner. I have 2012 Toyota Tundra with 5.7 L and 4.30 rear end and it will out tow my friends 2018 2500 Silverado with 6.0 L gas and 4.10 rear end ratio. 2500 has mush better load capacity and stopping power but the low rear end ratio on Tundra leaves Silverado trying to catch up going up mountains with 7% grades. Transmission with more gears also has advantages of finding better sweet spot when towing. I lock out 5th and 6th gears in mountains and 6th gear on flat land to keep transmission from shifting all the time, takes a little more gas but saves transmission from constantly shifting. When buying gas burner try to get lowest rear end gear ratio you can.
    Thats why I bought my Ram 2500 6.4 with 4.10 gears. I only tow 93-9500 lbs but with the 4.10's I feel that it's not going to downshift as much. Now if I had the newer 8 sp tranny I'd be really happy.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmjunior View Post
    The examples here are of someone elses 10+ year old trucks. Is there anyone here on the forum with a modern diesel; 6.7L Powerstroke, 6.6L Duramax or 6.7L Cummins who is experiencing the $12k+ repair bills? I would honestly like to hear their stories as I just purchased my first diesel (and also my first Ford).
    If your CP.4 HPFP goes you will have a $10,000 fix. Up until 2019-20 IIRC Ram still used the CP.3 while GM and Ford used the CP.4 HPFP. The CP3 was a more reliable HPFP. Now they all use some version of a CP.4. If your HPFP goes then bits of metal gets in your injectors and your whole fuel tank to injectors needs repaid or replaced. I will say though that as of the last few years I've hardly read about HPFP failures. I was on the Ram Cummins forum for 6 years and very rarely read about an HPFP failure. It's mostly on GM and Fords.
    Water in the fuel is a major cause of HPFP failure. But some pumps just let go. It's my understanding that the ULSD is maybe some of the problem as well.
    The reason I went with the Cummins in 2012 was from reading too many horror stories about Ford and grenading HPFP's. Ford always tried to deny warranty work while GM and VW homered the warranty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    If your CP.4 HPFP goes you will have a $10,000 fix.
    That little problem is easily avoided with a bypass kit. It should have been made this way from the factory. If it dies, your still out a pump but avoid the rest.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See everyone the above posts are exactly what I'm talking about. One problem or another. Bypass this, change that. The more computer BS multi second fire fuel injectors the more problems down the road.
    Diesels should run 200,000 to 250,000 miles down the road for the money that they cost. If so why is the warranty only 50,000 miles? Because they know that they problems start not long after that.
    My 6.2 Ford gas truck is 8 years old with 50,000 miles I could care less if its on warranty. Because I can run it another 8-10 years & it will still be running. Good luck with a diesel doing that.
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    If your CP.4 HPFP goes you will have a $10,000 fix. Up until 2019-20 IIRC Ram still used the CP.3 while GM and Ford used the CP.4 HPFP. The CP3 was a more reliable HPFP. Now they all use some version of a CP.4. If your HPFP goes then bits of metal gets in your injectors and your whole fuel tank to injectors needs repaid or replaced. I will say though that as of the last few years I've hardly read about HPFP failures. I was on the Ram Cummins forum for 6 years and very rarely read about an HPFP failure. It's mostly on GM and Fords.
    Water in the fuel is a major cause of HPFP failure. But some pumps just let go. It's my understanding that the ULSD is maybe some of the problem as well.
    The reason I went with the Cummins in 2012 was from reading too many horror stories about Ford and grenading HPFP's. Ford always tried to deny warranty work while GM and VW homered the warranty.
    Thanks!! This was super helpful. I just contacted Ford and they will extend the factory warranty on my truck until 100k miles for $3,504 or to 125k miles for $4,504. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast