User Tag List

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PHMadness View Post
    That little problem is easily avoided with a bypass kit. It should have been made this way from the factory. If it dies, your still out a pump but avoid the rest.
    Very true. But how many know about it and how many will fork out $$$ for the kit?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In about a 15 months I’m going to buy a long extended warranty. I will never hit the max miles anyway. By the time another 5 years passes I will be ready for a new truck anyway.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Those numbers actually are very close to the first generation of 7.3 diesels ( late 90's) and are impressive for a stock gas motor with a bunch of torque.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmjunior View Post
    Thanks!! This was super helpful. I just contacted Ford and they will extend the factory warranty on my truck until 100k miles for $3,504 or to 125k miles for $4,504. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
    Really, you want to give Ford basically $5000 to warranty that engine to 125,000 miles? What a joke. When it comes to diesels its either pay me now or pay me later. The engines are suppose to run 200,000 to 250,000 miles. Maybe you should take the $5000 & trade for a gas motor. Something that still has reliability & dependability. Just saying.....
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Those numbers actually are very close to the first generation of 7.3 diesels ( late 90's) and are impressive for a stock gas motor with a bunch of torque.
    Yes, these #'s are impressive I thought also. Also the motor should run for years being that it is built as strong as it is. I was surprised though the torque & horsepower bands are up as high as they are on the RPM range. Almost as high as the overhead CAM V8. Back in the day the 460 V8's ran in the 2 to 3000 RPM range. This new V8 runs way higher than that. I'm guessing its due to they type of Cam shaft being used. Plus newer technology inside the engine you can spin them a little faster. Should be fun.
    Russ & Deb

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new 7.3 numbers seem okay, especially given the torque at low RPM (relatively flat curve). I expect they are leaving some room for upgrades as the competition ramps up their big gas units. This 7.3 would compare quite favorably to the Cummins from 1994 (except for the fuel mileage).

As for the gas vs diesel debate... gas makes sense as a long-term reliability play now that the emissions systems have gotten so complex on the diesels. Your accountant would tell you to get the gas motor. If you're willing to take some risk, the diesels pay big dividends in terms of owner satisfaction.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Olin View Post
    Really, you want to give Ford basically $5000 to warranty that engine to 125,000 miles? What a joke. When it comes to diesels its either pay me now or pay me later. The engines are suppose to run 200,000 to 250,000 miles. Maybe you should take the $5000 & trade for a gas motor. Something that still has reliability & dependability. Just saying.....
    You're sending me mixed signals Russ. I just purchased a truck that, according to reliable internet sources, will grenade itself four times and cost at least $12-$15k each time and I shouldn't spend ~$100/mo for a warranty that covers every single component of the truck??
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmjunior View Post
    You're sending me mixed signals Russ. I just purchased a truck that, according to reliable internet sources, will grenade itself four times and cost at least $12-$15k each time and I shouldn't spend ~$100/mo for a warranty that covers every single component of the truck??
    Dude, I don't mean to confuse anyone. And for every diesel that has problems there are a few that will make it through. Hopefully you got one that will run the long haul. I just meant that I hate to see you spend your hard earned dollars for a extended warranty that should be provided by the manufacture when you purchase the truck. And I mean that for all brands not just Ford. The engine warranty should be for 150,000 miles. You shouldn't have to pay one hard earned nickel for the price that they charge for the motor itself. If it was me I would put the 5G in a side bank acct draw interest on it gamble that the motor lives then use this money as a last resort rather than just give it to Ford. But that's just me, I'm kinda a hard ****** this way. Hope that the engine lives & you have great truck. Some always do.
    Russ
    Russ & Deb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only owned 3 diesel trucks. One I bought new and drove 240k miles without a lick of engine trouble, modded the heck out of it and beat it hard. Another I bought at 80k used, did the same thing to 260k. The third I bought at 90k used, I'm at 179k now. No engine or transmission problems whatsoever.
    Sorry to be blunt, but thinking a gasser is going to make diesel levels of torque for nearly that long is an indication that the cheese might be slipping off your cracker.
    Btw, I don't even have the good diesels, mine have all been Fords, lol.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You forgot that the new 2020 super duty trucks will have a 10 speed trany. Should help the rpm curve in both gas and diesel engines. Gas or diesel?? What's best for you?
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast