User Tag List

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PHMadness View Post
    I've only owned 3 diesel trucks. One I bought new and drove 240k miles without a lick of engine trouble, modded the heck out of it and beat it hard. Another I bought at 80k used, did the same thing to 260k. The third I bought at 90k used, I'm at 179k now. No engine or transmission problems whatsoever.
    Sorry to be blunt, but thinking a gasser is going to make diesel levels of torque for nearly that long is an indication that the cheese might be slipping off your cracker.
    Btw, I don't even have the good diesels, mine have all been Fords, lol.
    Sorry but I have seen gas engines run just as far & long as these overpriced diesels. As far as good diesels you must be talking about the early naturally asperated binder diesels in Fords. Or the first Cummings. You know the ones that you had to have ear plugs to be around. Those are the ones that ran forever & were problem free. The early Cumming engines have a cult following. And what are they now 25-35 years old and still run like the day that they were built. The people that have them will not absolutely not give them up. I know my Father in law has one. As far as good diesels why settle for that? We could have a great diesel.
    CATERPILLAR! Its fun to dream anyway.
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what "asperated" means. I also am unfamiliar with "Cummings".
    Since I have been an auto and light truck technician for most of my adult life, and my dad owned a heavy truck shop when I was a kid, I'm pretty familiar with the differences between gas and diesel engines. No, none of my diesels were naturally aspirated, a 7.3 and two 6.7's so far. But hey, you do you.[emoji106]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m on my 3rd Super Duty......2005, 2008 and 2019. Never had any engine problems on any. Did have tranny issues on the 05 and 08. Lots of miles towing heavy boat and now the Momentum. You’d have to spend big bucks to get a gas motor to haul my momentum like my Super Duty diesel does so effortlessly
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    If your CP.4 HPFP goes you will have a $10,000 fix. Up until 2019-20 IIRC Ram still used the CP.3 while GM and Ford used the CP.4 HPFP. The CP3 was a more reliable HPFP. Now they all use some version of a CP.4. If your HPFP goes then bits of metal gets in your injectors and your whole fuel tank to injectors needs repaid or replaced. I will say though that as of the last few years I've hardly read about HPFP failures. I was on the Ram Cummins forum for 6 years and very rarely read about an HPFP failure. It's mostly on GM and Fords.
    Water in the fuel is a major cause of HPFP failure. But some pumps just let go. It's my understanding that the ULSD is maybe some of the problem as well.
    The reason I went with the Cummins in 2012 was from reading too many horror stories about Ford and grenading HPFP's. Ford always tried to deny warranty work while GM and VW homered the warranty.

One minor nit pick, GM no longer uses the Bosch CP.4 pump. Since the L5P was introduced they moved to a Denso pump

And to the discussion at hand. If these gas engines are so reliable then why don't they have these massive warranties. And to get one to anywhere near the torque numbers of today's diesels they would need to be heavily modded, would have no warranty and their reliability would be very questionable. Not to mention the gas mileage would be horrendous. I owned a Dodge v-10 back in the day, it was decent around home (midwest) but it couldn't get out of its own way at altitude. It didn't make it to 20K before the oil pump went out and had to be towed in to be fixed. Luckily I was checking the gauges when it happened and shut it down immediately otherwise the motor would have been toast.

Gas and diesel both have there place. Buy the one that works for you.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    One minor nit pick, GM no longer uses the Bosch CP.4 pump. Since the L5P was introduced they moved to a Denso pump

And to the discussion at hand. If these gas engines are so reliable then why don't they have these massive warranties. And to get one to anywhere near the torque numbers of today's diesels they would need to be heavily modded, would have no warranty and their reliability would be very questionable. Not to mention the gas mileage would be horrendous. I owned a Dodge v-10 back in the day, it was decent around home (midwest) but it couldn't get out of its own way at altitude. It didn't make it to 20K before the oil pump went out and had to be towed in to be fixed. Luckily I was checking the gauges when it happened and shut it down immediately otherwise the motor would have been toast.

Gas and diesel both have there place. Buy the one that works for you.
    Okay let me explain it to you the reason why gas engines don't have massive warranties: Because the don't need them & everyone knows it. The later generation gas engines are outstanding. The question should be? Where is your big warranty on your over priced diesel? If they are so GREAT where is your is your 150,000 mile warranty? Gas engines don't need them!!!!! Except for your V10 Chrysler. lMAO
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Olin View Post
    Okay let me explain it to you the reason why gas engines don't have massive warranties: Because the don't need them & everyone knows it. The later generation gas engines are outstanding. The question should be? Where is your big warranty on your over priced diesel? If they are so GREAT where is your is your 150,000 mile warranty? Gas engines don't need them!!!!! Except for your V10 Chrysler. lMAO
    Russ, I'm pretty new here so I try to stay in my lane, but you're either a troll or an imbecile. Your words indicate you actually know nothing about how internal combustion works or the loads generated on the components of an engine. I do, and I can back it up, you're just wrong.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I can't argue with that logic. I must be the unluckiest person in the world that had the one gas engine that failed (well almost failed)

I guess when ANY truck manufacturer manages to design and produce a gas engine that even sniffs the power of a diesel and doesn't fall on its face at altitude I'll run right out and get it. Until then I guess I'm stuck with my grenade waiting to happen overpriced diesel.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disappointing in rating in horse power & torque? I think not. Did anyone think this new naturally asperated gas V8 was going to have the horse power & torque of a modern turbo charged after cooled diesel? Well you just don't know engines. What makes the diesel pull? Turbo! And after cooler technology. Plus they come with a big old $10,000 price tag. And then choke it down the exhaust pipe. This new gas engine for people that know has 6 bolt main bearings & beefed up turbo or blower components built inside the engine. Meaning its up to the owner if he wants to go with a aftermarket blower or turbo. And decide if they want to run with the big diesel dogs. And one thing nice about a gas motor, you don't have to worry if its going to blow up every time you start it & cost a $12,000 to 15,000 repair bill. I know many diesels that have. Some 3 or 4 times for the owner. But to think that Ford was going to build a naturally asperated gas engine that could run with modern day diesels, well that world just isn't here. By the way pull the after cooler & turbo off the diesel like they were in the day, that gas engine will walk all over the diesel. That being said, I cant wait to try this new gas engine & 430 gears. Oh my! See you all on the hills in Southwest Colorado. Ain't RV'ing fun?
    I agree. I was a diesel mechanic for years and seen first hand the repair bills for many diesel engines...all flavors.I pulled a Reflection 337RLS all over the West with my old 2011 Superduty with a 6.2 gas engine...I got up those hills OK...and the truck is doing just fine staying out of the repair shops.Y'all can have those money pit diesels.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9DD7517B-525C-4415-B280-D4C32CEC7DF1.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	576.0 KB 
ID:	21860

I get strange looks all the time towing my 2400BH with the Diesel Audi Q7, however, I keep it below 6,600lbs, and was really surprised that it made up to Idyllwild’s 7,000’ elevation @ 95-degrees without issue. The 3.0 diesel mated with the 8-speed transmission Just do an excellent job. I’m averaging 13-14mpg down the highway @ 65mph.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I read all your comments on diesel vs. gasoline and wonder what you are talking about. I would never pull my fifth with a gasoline engine. I have pulled an awful lot and have never had a diesel blow up on me. I pass everything on the road on the steep hills with my F-350 Super Duty Turbo 6.0 liter. The engine torque and 6 speed allison automatic keep me off the brakes going down the grades. I have 240,000 miles on it. Use nothing but full synthetic and a diesel fuel additive every tank.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast