User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    droidguru

Angry 2015 323BHS Dining Room Slide

Took the brand new 2015 GD 323BHS (the one I picked up from the dealership last week) out on her maiden voyage this weekend. Had a great weekend in her and she performed well until we were packing up today and the main slide on the passenger side (has sofa and table) wouldn't retract. The motor made a sound like it was turning but nothing was happening. Manual crank wasn't working either. Finally after hours or trying I got five rather large gentlemen to force it back in with brute force.

So you can guess how (insert word here) I was....

In the shop now will report back with cause once I hear back. Honestly my last two RV's never needed to be brought into the shop, so I have been lucky. I really can not at this time recommend a Grand Design to anyone. This is just ridiculous. Maybe once I calm down and have at least one successful trip in it I will feel better. Maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand your frustration completely but I strongly feel that Grand Design will take care of the problem. I have had issues with mine and I knew I would. what is important to remember is how fast the Mfg. support is not necessarily dealer support. I had better luck getting things resolved just by calling GD customer service and talking to either JD Adams or Dean Brovant, they are very quick to authorize repairs. They let me take my unit to my local dealer instead of dragging to the dealer that sold it to me which was 85 miles one way. I was not happy at all with the selling dealer. Good luck and keep us posted on the repair.
    2014 Ram 2500 W / 6.7L diesel
    2014 303 RLS

droidguru
    Thanks Eaglehead, while nothing you said is false (at least to my knowledge) the breakdown is not the dealers fault. I will call Grand Design tomorrow about the issue. They should at the very least know about it. The dealer is scheduling a month and a half out right now, they have the rig and know I'm not happy so they are going to try and work it in. None of this is the point though, it is great the company stands behind their product but that shouldn't have to be tested on day seven. How does that bode for day 30, 60, 120? I truly hope three years from now I can look back and laugh talking about that one problem I had way back when. For now I'm only questioning QC prior to leaving the factory, I have no doubt from reading this forum damage control after it leaves the factory will be excellent.

A little more on the problem. The slide in question extends fine and the extend function still works. When I try to retract it makes a spinning sound but the slide doesn't move. The same spin without movement when I try to manually retract.

The only way to get it to shut way hold "slide 2 in" down and physically shove the slide. This was not easy (I have a nasty bruise on my shoulder to show for it. I may ask GD for a new lower panel (metal panel at the bottom) as it got pretty damaged from our efforts. It will be interesting to see if they come through. I will update this thread as more details become available as long as my member status allows me to do so. This way at least those who encounter this in the future will have some basic information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would definitely call tech support, month and a half out is crap. I picked mine up in June and there was a major water leak that the dealer didn't find during the pdi I discovered it and they claimed it was fixed, today I figured out what the real problem was and it had to do with the mfg process. I got it resolved myself but I still have faith in their tech support dept.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have dealt with Dean and he has been super great for helping me out. Did you take out a couple of self taping screws underneath to see if you can see anything. Just a thought. I always try to check things out before I need to take mine to the dealer. GD will send you the parts to your house if you can fix it. I realize some things you can't fix but I will do everything I can so I don't have to make that trip to the dealer. Good Luck.

droidguru
    We did remove two of the self tapping screws on the side without the gas line and pulled down the underbelly to see if we could diagnose the problem. Everything with the motor appeared to be working it simply wasn't moving the slide. Could be a stripping issue (definitely not a power issue). It worries me however that the extend worked but the manual cranking wouldn't bring it back in. It also worries me that we had to spin the motor in retract in order to force the slide in. I don't have high hopes for a quick repair. Our final trip of the season is next weekend and I think I'm SOL. Like I said you can look at it two ways, one (insert word) happens everyday or the way I am currently looking at it, with complete and utter disgust. Didn't hear back from the dealer yesterday, hopefully I will hear something today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by droidguru View Post
    Thanks Eaglehead, while nothing you said is false (at least to my knowledge) the breakdown is not the dealers fault. I will call Grand Design tomorrow about the issue. They should at the very least know about it. The dealer is scheduling a month and a half out right now, they have the rig and know I'm not happy so they are going to try and work it in. None of this is the point though, it is great the company stands behind their product but that shouldn't have to be tested on day seven. How does that bode for day 30, 60, 120? I truly hope three years from now I can look back and laugh talking about that one problem I had way back when. For now I'm only questioning QC prior to leaving the factory, I have no doubt from reading this forum damage control after it leaves the factory will be excellent.

A little more on the problem. The slide in question extends fine and the extend function still works. When I try to retract it makes a spinning sound but the slide doesn't move. The same spin without movement when I try to manually retract.

The only way to get it to shut way hold "slide 2 in" down and physically shove the slide. This was not easy (I have a nasty bruise on my shoulder to show for it. I may ask GD for a new lower panel (metal panel at the bottom) as it got pretty damaged from our efforts. It will be interesting to see if they come through. I will update this thread as more details become available as long as my member status allows me to do so. This way at least those who encounter this in the future will have some basic information.
    I understand it is not the dealers fault, they didn't build the camper but I'm sure they were all over you when you were in the market to buy a camper so when you had a problem like this they should have put you at the front of the pack for repairs. The slide mechanism are not exclusive to GD as they are used on many other brands so therefore any dealer has knowledge of how to work on them. I'm sure if you make tech support aware of how your dealer is handling this they will have a conversation with them and will be more than glad to pay any dealer of your choice to do the repairs. They sincerely want to keep you as a happy customer cause when I had my problems I got a personal phone call from the GM of the warranty dept and the next day I got a call from one of the owners of the company reassuring me that everything would be taken care of even if they had to send a driver to pick mine up and take it to the factory for repairs, which is a solid 2 days of driving. To me that says a lot about the company even though they have some issues that shouldn't happen but anything mechanical can fail at any time. Just be glad you didn't own a Forest River product or a Lance TT or Keystone or about any other brand, I have had all of them and trust me THEY are a nightmare to deal with in getting things resolved.
    Did you dealer move the slide in and out for you on delivery?
    2014 Ram 2500 W / 6.7L diesel
    2014 303 RLS

droidguru
    During the walk through the slides were moved out while I watched, but I wasn't present when they were retracted. I highly doubt there was any trouble though as it would have still been opened when I brought my truck around. On that note I tested them all at home prior to departure. This was the third time (that I know of) that the slide was retracted when it failed. The dealer could have operated it many more times prior to me purchasing the unit however.

I am still hoping to get an initial analysis from the dealer service department today at some point, then I will at least have some information to work with.

I emailed the whole story to Grand Design, as they weren't open this morning and I wanted to get all of the facts straight and in writing. I will follow up with a phone call once I hear back from the service department (again hopefully today).

Setting Up Camp
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your slideout problem "droidguru". I feel your frustration with buying a beautiful GD 5th wheel and can't us it. After owning our 2015 293RES Reflection for 6 weeks, I found a our bedding wet and found that the sealant around the bedroom vent had failed or deterorated allowing water to leak in to the headboard area of the bedroom. Long story short the entire rubber roof had to be replaced. Missed a weekend we had scheduled and ended up staying in a motel for the weekend. GD approved repairs within 24 hours but it took over 2 weeks for the dealer to receive the new roof and week for the dealer to install it. I know things happen but it's a "new" trailer and the feeling I get from GD and the dealer is "we'll fix it and that's all we have to do", with no compensation to you. Since the repair of the new rubber roof we have traveled to NC, a 2600 mile trip with only a couple minor problems.
    We love our GD RES293 Reflection but are not totally convinced we bought from the right company. Only time will tell, Good Luck with the repairs.

Terry and Cathy Johnson
    2015 293RES Reflection #1051
    2012 F250 S/D; w/ 6.2L gas

droidguru
    Ok I just got word the worm drive was completely stripped out. Still don't understand how it can open but not close? For those of you keeping score that was one week after delivery and about three times of opening and closing. The dealership ordered the part necessary for the repair from Grand Design. They were of course out of the part (which translates into building a new RV is more important then getting you on the road) so they called Lippert and requested the part be overnighted. Of course Lippert also is, yup you guessed it. So it will sit at the dealer and I will miss our end of the season bash this weekend. Only a $750 loss!

My RV experience while not typical from reading these forums has been anything but pleasant. I truly hope others have a much more pleasant overall experience.

All I can say is good luck, I will hold my breath for the other slide at least only one of the remaining three is a Lippert.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast