User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandraze View Post
    I'm wanting to move up to the Dexter 3" tube axles and basically replace the whole suspension. Working with Dexter now to get a quote on all the parts necessary. If the quote is good, I'll purchase the parts and have them shipped to my dealer here, and have them do the work. There is also a local RV repair shop here that has been highly recommended by friends, but for them to get me a quote, I have to take the rig over to them. Either way, I really want to get it done for peace of mind!
    Our 2018 Imagine 2800BH came from the factory with Dexter 3,500-lb. axles with 2-3/8"-dia. axle tubes. When our trailer was about 14 months old we noticed some uneven tire wear which turned out to be due to bent spindles on one of the axles. Dexter provided two replacement axles, still 3,500-lb. axles, but with 3"-dia. axle tubes. The hubs on the replacement axles had the same wheel lug pattern, so we were able to keep the original wheels.

For the 2019 model year Grand Design changed to Dexter 4,400-lb. axles on the 2600RB and 2800BH. I think these higher-rated axles also use 3"-dia. axle tubes, but the hubs have a different wheel lug pattern than the 3,500-lb. axles. Note that there has been a recall that affected some of the 2019 Imagines with the 4,400-lb. axles:

https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-support/recalls

Also, you can search this forum and find reports of Imagine owners that have had issues with the leaf springs on 3,500-lb. axles not providing sufficient clearance between the tires and the underside of the floor. This may be part of the reason behind Grand Design's switch to higher-rated axles for some Imagine models. Dexter provides sprung axles to trailer manufactures, meaning that the axles arrive with two leaf springs already bolted to the axle tubes. 3,500-lb. axles have two 1,750-lb. leaf springs, while 4,400-lb. axles have two 2,200-lb. leaf springs.

If you're going to swap out axles, then check to see if the new axles have the same wheel lug pattern as the old axles. Also this would be a good time to consider upgrading to wet bolts (bolts that can be greased) with bronze bushings, heavy-duty shackles, and even rubber-cushioned equalizers (like MORryde CRE-3000 or Dexter E-Z Flex).
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as I love our 2600RB I wish we had a better view out the passenger side of the trailer--the side with the door. To me the trailer seems dark, especially in the morning. I'm an early riser and enjoy my coffee and would like a nicer view to start the day. Even though you have great wrap around windows in the slide and you have a great view from that side, where we have camped so far the view is on the other side of the trailer. The huge bathroom is a plus. I'd probably opt for the couch next time over the theater seating. Easy trailer to pull but we have a 1 ton truck. This trailer is way better than the 28BH Springdale we came from.
    Bill & Rachel
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD DRW
    2023 Host Everest
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL—( No longer own ).

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jw^2 family View Post
    Our 2018 Imagine 2800BH came from the factory with Dexter 3,500-lb. axles with 2-3/8"-dia. axle tubes. When our trailer was about 14 months old we noticed some uneven tire wear which turned out to be due to bent spindles on one of the axles. Dexter provided two replacement axles, still 3,500-lb. axles, but with 3"-dia. axle tubes. The hubs on the replacement axles had the same wheel lug pattern, so we were able to keep the original wheels.

For the 2019 model year Grand Design changed to Dexter 4,400-lb. axles on the 2600RB and 2800BH. I think these higher-rated axles also use 3"-dia. axle tubes, but the hubs have a different wheel lug pattern than the 3,500-lb. axles. Note that there has been a recall that affected some of the 2019 Imagines with the 4,400-lb. axles:

https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-support/recalls

Also, you can search this forum and find reports of Imagine owners that have had issues with the leaf springs on 3,500-lb. axles not providing sufficient clearance between the tires and the underside of the floor. This may be part of the reason behind Grand Design's switch to higher-rated axles for some Imagine models. Dexter provides sprung axles to trailer manufactures, meaning that the axles arrive with two leaf springs already bolted to the axle tubes. 3,500-lb. axles have two 1,750-lb. leaf springs, while 4,400-lb. axles have two 2,200-lb. leaf springs.

If you're going to swap out axles, then check to see if the new axles have the same wheel lug pattern as the old axles. Also this would be a good time to consider upgrading to wet bolts (bolts that can be greased) with bronze bushings, heavy-duty shackles, and even rubber-cushioned equalizers (like MORryde CRE-3000 or Dexter E-Z Flex).
    Did the tire rating get an upgrade with this axle change or is it still ST205/75 R15 107/D rated?

Quote Originally Posted by Duramax View Post
    As much as I love our 2600RB I wish we had a better view out the passenger side of the trailer--the side with the door. To me the trailer seems dark, especially in the morning. I'm an early riser and enjoy my coffee and would like a nicer view to start the day. Even though you have great wrap around windows in the slide and you have a great view from that side, where we have camped so far the view is on the other side of the trailer. The huge bathroom is a plus. I'd probably opt for the couch next time over the theater seating. Easy trailer to pull but we have a 1 ton truck. This trailer is way better than the 28BH Springdale we came from.
    Thank you for your response. From all the responses, I think it is really important to have rear visibility from the camper.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our first priority was something under of near the 30 foot length for greater access to the places we want to camp. I didn't like the idea of mechanical (refrigerator) on a slide but it was a compromise. GD has put lots of different kitchen appliances on slides so hoping they have that figured out. Number 2 priority was access to the bedroom/bathroom with the slide closed. The 2500RL fit all of those criteria. We did sit in a rear bathroom model at our dealer but missed the view the rear living room model provided. We ended up with the 2500RL and are super happy with it. Pulling it with a 2017 Ford F-150 V6 3.5 EcoBoost, 3.55 rear axle with "max tow" package. Using Equal-i-zer WD hitch it scaled 880 lbs additional payload on the truck axles. Haven't really done a deep dive on the trailer axles yet but it tows great, all thing considered.
    2017 Ford F-150 3.5 liter EcoBoost
    2019 Imagine 2500RL

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matdetroit View Post
    Did the tire rating get an upgrade with this axle change or is it still ST205/75 R15 107/D rated
    I think that Imagine models with the 4,400-lb. axles come with ST225/75R15 LRE tires.

Our Imagine with the 3,500-lb. axles has ST205/75R15 LRD tires. We did not have any problems with the original Westlake tires, but replaced them with Goodyear Endurance tires due to the uneven wear that resulted from the bent spindles.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2019 2500RL that I live in full time. The only issue I have so far is that all the glass in the living area makes it hard to cool in very hot weather. I live in inland South Carolina, and when the temperature climbs above 94 ambient or so, the Coleman Mach 15 has a problem keeping the living area below 76 degrees. The output of the AC at the vents is 56 degrees(with ambient 95 to 100), so I am pretty sure it is just greenhouse effect, and not an AC problem(You could argue that 15K is too few BTU's for my square footage & window configuration). I have no tree shade, and the living room has to face West where I'm living, so all the late afternoon sun comes shining in. I have started putting 5/8" foam board insulation in the windows facing West, during the heat of the afternoon. I also run a box fan continuously from the bedroom facing the living room. Also if you start early cooling down the camper, it obviously is better at keeping a lower temp when it does climb high. It is actually amazing to me how well these small AC's perform.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by romad317 View Post
    I have a 2019 2500RL that I live in full time. The only issue I have so far is that all the glass in the living area makes it hard to cool in very hot weather. I live in inland South Carolina, and when the temperature climbs above 94 ambient or so, the Coleman Mach 15 has a problem keeping the living area below 76 degrees. The output of the AC at the vents is 56 degrees(with ambient 95 to 100), so I am pretty sure it is just greenhouse effect, and not an AC problem(You could argue that 15K is too few BTU's for my square footage & window configuration). I have no tree shade, and the living room has to face West where I'm living, so all the late afternoon sun comes shining in. I have started putting 5/8" foam board insulation in the windows facing West, during the heat of the afternoon. I also run a box fan continuously from the bedroom facing the living room. Also if you start early cooling down the camper, it obviously is better at keeping a lower temp when it does climb high. It is actually amazing to me how well these small AC's perform.
    Never thought about that situation. I live way north of you but have plans to take it south in summer. Any part timers with this issue?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    Take a look at the Transcend 26RLS . We were set on a 2600RB until we saw the 26RLS.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...oorplans/26rls
    The only problem I have with that and similar floor plans is it rally boggles the mind why a couples camper would need a couch, theater seats, and a dinette. I understand some folks like to entertain or play cards or a board game with another couple, but having so much seating is really a waste of good storage space.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did find another difference but not sure how important it is. The slide system is rack and pinion style in 2600RB but its the other one in 2500RL. Not sure which one is better.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
    The only problem I have with that and similar floor plans is it rally boggles the mind why a couples camper would need a couch, theater seats, and a dinette. I understand some folks like to entertain or play cards or a board game with another couple, but having so much seating is really a waste of good storage space.
    There wasn't just one reason why we liked the 26RLS over the 2600RB. We liked the large windows in the back, we also liked having the extra seating for quests and we wanted the extra sofa bed so we could take a could take a couple grand children with us. The trailer has plenty of storage, so that was not a concern. I guess this is why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast