User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikec557 View Post
    Thanks. I'll have to ponder that. There are pros and cons to relocating the charger converter. Cost to relocate is a little more wire if I put it in a new location vs putting it in the oem location. But there is a lot of work to do overall. On our way to 100 degrees today. Maybe after a nap the decision will come to me. Thanks for everyone's input. Mike
    This is an old thread brought back to life. You likely made your choices and completed the project by now. I too am curious about what choice you made re: location of the converter, and why.

I'm currently with @jkwilson in that I don't see benefit to relocating the converter to the battery compartment that justifies the work it will require. It seems to me that it's plug-and-play in the original OEM location with very little difference in charging effectiveness, not enough difference to justify the extra work and cost. Am I missing something?
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update of my project

Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    This is an old thread brought back to life. You likely made your choices and completed the project by now. I too am curious about what choice you made re: location of the converter, and why.

I'm currently with @jkwilson in that I don't see benefit to relocating the converter to the battery compartment that justifies the work it will require. It seems to me that it's plug-and-play in the original OEM location with very little difference in charging effectiveness, not enough difference to justify the extra work and cost. Am I missing something?
    After some thought I too decided that relocating the charger/converter was more trouble than it was worth. Then after all my parts arrived I realized it was a moot point. In a Reflection 29RS, there is almost *NO* room to move, as you can see in the pics.

While we don't seem to ever need the generator (knock on wood) I don't want to be without it, so I continue to store/carry it in that location. And as you can see it takes up a good portion of the front bay. I was barely able to squeak in a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter, to the left in the picture, and to the right: the bus bars, solar charge controller, fuse/breakers, and 12 volt fuse panel (you can see in the picture). On the floor of that bay there is room for only two batteries to the right... and maybe if you wanted to, a third battery to the left of the generator. I went with two 100AHr Battleborn lithium batteries. I put the Progressive Dynamics charge controller in the OEM location. In the picture you can see that the oem location barely fits behind the flexible wall in the pass through. In fact one corner of it hangs over/off the floor its screwed down to.

While the wiring job in the battery bay is not the prettiest, it is very functional and has worked great since its installation.

By the way, in the end, I did not "mount" the Victron BMV-712. It is plugged into the system, but I leave it wrapped in a towel and laying in the battery bay. I don't need to see it's display because I monitor both it and the Victron 50/100 solar charge controller through my cell phone by bluetooth.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190821_142200076.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	24661
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190821_141556792.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	24662