Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude 377MBS A/C

We’re in West TX where it’s 97 degrees today with low humidity (17%). We’ve never had any problems with our AC’s, but we’ve never had it parked somewhere this hot. The unit that provides cooling to the front bedroom is staying the same temperature but it’s a small room and we’ve had the bedroom door closed. The main unit that provides cooling to the rest of the trailer is not staying cool. We have it set at 73 High Auto and the temperature in that part of the trailer is raising. It’s 79 in here now and seems to be still climbing (currently 4:30pm). We bought the trailer this Winter and have camped in it about 60 days but have not used it since mid-June. Have been away so the door has not been opened. Got back about 30 minutes and the temperature raised from 77 to the 79 now. Is this normal in the heat of the day?

Thanks!

Mark
    Mark & Diana
    2019 Solitude 377MBS
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo w/Aisin Transmission DRW
    B&W Companion Hitch

Previous Rig:
    2018 Reflection 312BHTS
    2014 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW
    Equalizer Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a MBS-R 377 and do not have a problem with cooling the Main Room. I full time in my unit and spend a lot of time in southeastern NC. I do have dual pane windows and will leave the shades down during the heat of the day to help keep the unit cooler.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have the 337 and currently in Florida. Temp is in the 90s and I am very happy with the cooling. Actually I'm amazed how good it cools. I have my black out shades down. I have to lower the ac in the bedroom to keep it running and I close one of the vents. If you close both vents in the bedroom the air coming out in the main room should feel like a jet engine. Each time you open the door will hinder the cooling also. Double pane windows don't really add that much r value.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several things,

1: there are several threads about checking the seal between the intake and exhaust side of the units That could be part of the problem.

2: If the dump valves are open on the units then they'll cool those immediate areas faster but the air doesn't circulate well. The bedroom unit will cool that little space quickly and then shut off. The unit in the back is not enough for the rest of the trailer. I always leave the dump valves closed and force the air through the duct system. I will also close 2 of the 4 (sometimes 3 if its during a hot day and we're not going to be in the bedroom anyway) registers in the master bedroom ceiling to force more air to the back.

3: I wouldn't use the auto setting. Use Hi Cool. When using auto especially on the front unit when that little room get to temp the whole unit shuts down. You lose the air volume and circulation from that fan. On Hi cool only the compressor shuts off, the fan stays on.

4: On the 377, if its still the same, the back thermostat is in the bunk room. That room has woefully inadequate supply so on a hot day it will never cool. The temp difference from the living space to the bunk room can be big. If my daughter shuts that door the air runs full time trying to get the bunk room down to temp while the living space can turn into an icebox. I installed a full metal duct with a lip that sticks into the "racetrack" ducting to "catch" the air and force more into the bunk area. Haven't been out in hot weather yet to test its effectiveness. But I can feel more air coming out of that register now. Time will tell if its enough or on to the next option. I have the exact opposite problem in the winter. That room get warm fast and shuts down the furnace. I seemed to have solved that by installing an adjustable register and just closing it.

4a: you could move the thermostat to the kitchen will help with that area but the bunk room will still be an issue if its being used.

On the thermo panes. While they may not provide much in straight r value, insulating the temp difference from outside to inside. They do make a big difference in the heat transfer from the sun beating on the glass. That inside pane is much cooler to the touch when the sun is beating on it. I don't know if that's different from an r value measurement but Its sure obvious to the touch. I have had units with and without thermo panes, given the choice I will always choose thermo panes. A few people have found a coating they have applied to the glass (like a tint i believe) that they say helps a lot for the same reason, reflecting the heat off the glass. I have no experience with this so I cant confirm how well it works.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW