Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

State Parks/TT length

As we ponder finalizing our purchase of our Reflection 287RLTS, I've been reading about the state parks not allowing anything over 30'. Anyone have issues with trying to squeeze their rig into sites? The one we're looking at is 32'7" long.
    Todd and Kathy
    2017 Ford F250 4x4, 6.2 gasser, 3.73 gear ratio
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 287RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure there are exceptions but I have never had any problems parking out 303 RLS in the state parks.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When looking at various locations, we always check the site length, pictures of the site park, and look at a satellite views to get a good idea of not only the site but the park roads width/turns, etc.

We had some challenges at an older state park in NE due to the back in sites being short and narrow (as well as the road) and being at a 90 degree angle to the road with considerable old trees/landscaping.

Most often as long as the site is about 50' long and wide enough we are gtg w/o issues. Helps considerably when also at the 120 "degreeish" angle as well.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is a 35' total length and 34' registered length and not having any issue in FL, GA, TN, KY state parks.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been able to stay at most state parks with our 41' foot Momentum. But I always try to find the site length before I make the reservation. I love having a picture of the site also, I can put the back end of my 5th wheel about 6 feet past the end of the drive if there are no obstacles. As mentioned, the other issue is turning radius and clearance into the site. I use google earth to get a feel for this.

If you call the state park and talk to the staff just remember they cannot say anything that would imply permission or a commitment outside of the published literature, that would make them personally responsible for any mistake you would make. It's better to ask questions in a manner that keeps the responsibility off their shoulders, ok, that didn't sound good, they are very responsible and dedicated people and really want to be of help, I have worked with many of them.

Ok, I am going to ramble in an attempt to clarify. If you ask a state park employee; "Do you think I can park my 38' 5th wheel in this 36 foot site?" the answer will be a resounding no. If you ask them has anyone ever parked a 38 foot trailer in this 36' spot they may say yes if they have seen that, or they may say no, there is a big rock at the back of the site, or something along those line.

Most state parks we have worked at have started removing one or two larger sites from the reservations system. Because of the popularity of RV camping and the number of inexperienced campers issues come up where the owner says their camper will not fit. All too often it will fit just fine, but the owner doesn't know how to back it into the site around the obstacles. They try really hard to make things work, but there are sometimes when it just can't be done and the camper leaves, nobody likes being the unhappy camper.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been in a few state park campgrounds that were a tight fit. Last year we visited Tallulah Gorge S.P. in NE Georgia. The roads through the campground were pretty narrow - not enough to cause problems. We had to get the trailer positioned just right on our pull-through site so that the slide-out would fit between two trees. Last weekend we were at Vogel S.P. in north Georgia, and our back-in site was a very tight fit for our Imagine. A couple of trees on either side of the site had scars from previous encounters with trucks and/or trailers. One of the landscape timbers near the road had been removed - probably after being run over numerous times. We decided that we would prefer a different site the next time we visit Vogel S.P.

Besides looking at campsite photos on the park's website, you might also want to check review sites like
    http://www.campgroundreviews.com/
    to find information about preferred sites or sites to avoid within a campground.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have stayed at a couple of state parks in Ohio and have just set up our reservations for a 3.5 week trip through Ohio and Michigan, at 6 different parks. Both OH and MI have an online reservation system, and you can put in the size of rig that you are looking for a site for. For example, 25-30 feet, 30-35 feet, 35-40 feet, etc. I didn’t have any problem making reservations for our 33’ Reflection for our trip. We also stayed at one PA state park during our last trip, and did not have any issues.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. My wife really likes the layout of the 287RLTS. PDI day is tomorrow!
    Todd and Kathy
    2017 Ford F250 4x4, 6.2 gasser, 3.73 gear ratio
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 287RLTS

Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So aren’t the SP spaces measured from the site parking block to the road? Most of our rigs hang waaay over the block so unless the picnic table or a tree is in the way there is a lot of extra room. That is where google maps/earth, campground views and state park websites can help pick your site. IMHO.

DD
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebpac View Post
    Thanks all. My wife really likes the layout of the 287RLTS. PDI day is tomorrow!
    How did your PDI go? We pick up our 287 in six days. Any suggestions for me? I would really appreciate it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast