User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Initial Brake Controller Setting

Hello! First time towing (without dealer assist) our Imagine 2250RK Travel Trailer. Our TV is a 2018 Chevy Silverado 1500. I "think" I understand how to set the brake controller per various youtube posts - question: what is a reasonable start out setting as I will be driving a few miles to the "perfect flat place" to do the test using the manual controller. Seems to me I read 5.5 somewhere but can't find the post again. Thanks much!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on how good the trailer brakes are... When starting out, I generally set it where manually locking the trailer brakes (by hand on the controller) is just enough to stop the truck and trailer from rolling forward under idle power in gear. This worked better on my bumper pull trailer than the current 5th wheel (since the 5th wheel doesn't let the truck move in my driveway without power). Generally, 5-6.5 is a good range. You dont want it overpowered or it will brake harder than your truck, but you dont want it loose enough that the truck has to do all the braking either.
    2018 Solitude 3740BH
    2013 Ram 3500 DRW

Left The Driveway
    White Rock BC formally East caost guy from Halifax
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 4.5 on a F350 with 295RL I don't feel the trailer or feel pushed. During tug test the trailer will hold both vehicles

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With a new trailer you will be adjusting it until the trailer brakes take a seat. Be sure to do the brake in procedure. I am at 6.1 initial and have the gain set just below lockup with panic stop and able to lock up with full hand motion on controller at lower speed. You will also find you will want more or less gain depending on traffic conditions or terrain.. In general on normal breaking I want to feel the trailer brakes just engage first in normal braking.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally you can tow trailer to about 30mph and manually brake trailer using brake controller, you do want it to tug good but not lock up .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use the low speed manual lock up test to assure all breaks are working equally. If it is just one or 2 I know I have an issue and get them adjusted. I have the older Voyager controller. When in normal driving I do not get lock up at that setting, just manually. Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I’m at 6.5 as advised by a friend with many years towing various types of trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Successful Trip

After experimenting in the neighborhood we ended up at 5.5. Seemed to work fine. Thanks all for the input! - I certainly have a lot to learn!