User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    fredandfred

What tow vehicle

Now that I have our Solitude 379FL, I don't know what tow vehicle to look for. I have an F250 7.3 with tow package and I know it can move this RV but not safely. I don't want to buy a $20,000 truck to haul this beast But I do want to some day move it. The RV dealer moved it to our spot with a 1 ton SRW Dodge. Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredandfred View Post
    Now that I have our Solitude 379FL, I don't know what tow vehicle to look for. I have an F250 7.3 with tow package and I know it can move this RV but not safely. I don't want to buy a $20,000 truck to haul this beast But I do want to some day move it. The RV dealer moved it to our spot with a 1 ton SRW Dodge. Any suggestions?
    I guess it depends on how much towing you plan to be doing. To safely tow a 379, you need at least a 1 ton dually. It may be difficult to find that type of tow vehicle in a late model for $20k, but who knows. If you don't plan on doing much towing and just need to move the rig from one place to another occasionally, your F250 will do it but I wouldn't want to go very far because of the liability if something (bad) were to happen.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second the 1 ton dually of your choice. The 379 is a big unit to safely move with anything less. Your 20K price seems very optimastic.
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're correct that your SuperDuty just doesn't have the Pin weight carrying capability to tow a Solitude. You'll need dual rear wheels. If your F250 is in good condition and has the popular options, you will be surprised what they'll pull on the used car market.

I bought a Reflection fiver since I don't travel in our trailer often and our campground takes it out of storage and puts it on a site for us. My F250 will handle it, however.

ter88nrth
    Have no problems towing with my F-250 at 70+ MPH , f250 rated for 22,000 lbs, check your manual on your model

colorado dave
    We too have the 379FL and tow with the 2014 3500 RAM 6.7 payload is 4500 lbs and can tow 25,000.
    We added firestone air bags and it tows very well for us.

Virginia Camper
    Hey folks, correct me if I am wrong (and I could be), but GVWR for most (newer anyway) F250s is 10,000lbs if you get that package. The truck weight is about 7500lbs if you get the diesel. So that leaves you 2500lbs to haul. Now add 2 people and a little weight for miscellaneous stuff (400 - 500 lbs) and that only leaves you with around 2100 - 2000lbs for your hitch weight. The Solitudes have a hitch weight of 2500 - 3000lbs. In my estimation, F250s (or equivalent) should not be towing a Solitude. Here is a link for understanding GVWR: http://www.onlinetowingguide.com/guidelines/gvwr.html I am not a lawyer, but I would think if you get in an accident with you 5er and you are over GVWR (and law enforcement knows it), things won't go very well for you...even if you have airbags or other after market stuff. I watched a dealer sell a guy with a F250 a Solitude. The buyer questioned them about the GVWR and they said, just get air bags. Am I off base here?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a subject that's been beaten to death on every on-line trailering forum going. If truck GVWR was ever enforced, there'd be lots of idled TV's! Most look at GRAWR and tire load ratings for limits. An example of the non-validity of the truck GVWR's is a F350 with the GVWR downgrade package which is 9900# instead of 11400#. The truck isn't any different just a smaller number on the data plate to lower registration cost and to avoid annual inspection here in Canada.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Virginia Camper
    Not trying to be difficult. However, I believe there is a difference on how the truck is built with different GVWR ratings. Below are some links to useful information. The second one is from Ford's website and I added some notes about the table on GVWR from the brochure. It is my understanding that if you go over your GVWR you are over grossing your truck. I believe the biggest difference between the F250 and F350 how the suspension is built. I generally rely on manufacturer and industry professionals for information like this, but forums are a good way to spread the word.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/12...d-ratings.html

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...typu_sep11.pdf

Notes: • This information also applies to models with Pickup Box Delete Option (66D).
    • Trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight should be 10-15% (15-25% for 5th-wheel towing) of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduce by option weight) will accommodate trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle. Addition of trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo must not cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ford makes a lot of details available to the aftermarket.
    https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...bodybuild.html
    Whatever combination you have, or are thinking about . . . you can likely find it here.
    What is of particular interest to this discussion is how low the large cab 250 diesel payloads get.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS