User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notice a lot of people using Dicor. Was my impression GD did not recommend using Dicor on their roofs?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ironridger View Post
    Notice a lot of people using Dicor. Was my impression GD did not recommend using Dicor on their roofs?
    It's up there around the vents from the factory.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually used the correct self leveling adhesive. Dicor was just easier to remember.

I also placed a 6" x 6" strip of Eternabond under each "Z" bracket to protect the original roof.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Mounting on the roof with 3/4 to 1" screws is good. Because of the solar panel dimensions, hard to line up on roof truss.
    Generally for wires, try to get near a plumbing vent to mount an roof entry box, since the vent pipe leads to basement.

Try advanced search: solar install project for keywords, lots of results to read thru.
    We are going to run ours bedroom as opposed to the basement. Batteries/ Victron 12/300 inverter- charger, Victron 60 controller, fuses , dongel, are all located under the bed. System Victron battery monitor, and system information could troll panel on the wall of the bedroom.

I know it will take away from storage, but having it in the pass through will make it difficult to monitor as well as troubleshoot and repair any issues.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is true, but I did not find this out until after I had used it installing my Winegard Trav'ler. So when I added a couple of Solar panels, I made an EFFORT and it was an effort to find the Alpha approved stuff. It is more than twice the price, and is not readily available... In fact my dealer only stocks..... Wait for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dicor.
    To top it off, after using both... As far as I can tell, they are the same. They smell, look and flow the same. I would challange anyone to look at my roof, and tell me which is which.
    Last edited by huntindog; 01-10-2021 at 01:52 AM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I used the screws that came with the Renogy "Z" brackets, however, instead of four brackets per panel I used six brackets per panel (needed to drill extra holes in Solar Panels for the extra brackets). Additionally, I added two layers of Butyl tape (not putty tape) under the brackets. On top of this I sealed the brackets to the roof with Dicor.

As far as running the wires goes, my coach had a conduit that runs from the roof to the hold for Satellite TV, or Solar. I ran 6 awg from the roof to the Solar Charge Controller and 10 awg between the Solar Panels into a Combiner box (4 305 Watt panels, 2s/2p).
    I ordered a kit that came with the Renology Z-brackets. Do you have any regrets using those over other brackets that allow easy panel removal or tilting?

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by feistyfam View Post
    I ordered a kit that came with the Renology Z-brackets. Do you have any regrets using those over other brackets that allow easy panel removal or tilting?
    No.

I am not going up on the roof to tilt panels and I see no reason to ever remove the panels (If I did need to remove the panels, I can simply unbolt the frames from the Z brackets and leave the brackets in place on the roof).

I sized my system large enough so that Tilting was not required.

My system worked well in the AZ Desert in February when the Sun's angle was very low in the sky.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    No.

I am not going up on the roof to tilt panels and I see no reason to ever remove the panels (If I did need to remove the panels, I can simply unbolt the frames from the Z brackets and leave the brackets in place on the roof).

I sized my system large enough so that Tilting was not required.

My system worked well in the AZ Desert in February when the Sun's angle was very low in the sky.
    Thanks for the reply. I was more thinking about having to clean under them

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    This is true, but I did not find this out until after I had used it installing my Winegard Trav'ler. So when I added a couple of Solar panels, I made an EFFORT and it was an effort to find the Alpha approved stuff. It is more than twice the price, and is not readily available... In fact my dealer only stocks..... Wait for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dicor.
    To top it off, after using both... As far as I can tell, they are the same. They smell, look and flow the same. I would challange anyone to look at my roof, and tell me which is which.
    They are not the same., use of the Alpha product is suggested as well as use of Dicor will void your roof warranty.

https://
    Per our community policy, please do not mention the other forum. If you would like to understand why, please read this discussion: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/showthread.php/23897-Announcement-about-our-name-change?p=237174&viewfull=1#post237174
    .com/forum/exterio...question/page4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I understand nobody goes up to the roof and admires their installation, but seriously, is there a better way to run your wiring for the panels? It really looks terrible seeing exposed cables taped, screwed, etc to the roof of the trailer. Couldn't you drill a hole to run the wires between the roof and ceiling? I do understand the extra risk of water leaks but if done right, it's no worst than drilling extra holes for the brackets. Every time I see an installation, it's like looking at a scar after surgery. You can't help but look at it and that takes away from the real success.

I have yet to reach that stage of my build, but when it does come time to securing the panels to the roof, I will certainly do my best to secure the leading edge to the joists.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast