Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a product that cleans and lubricates. I found it on the recommendation of an electrical engineer I have considerable respect for. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the metal connections as clean as possible. If they are new it is easy, but if they are old and oxidized, then you may need to scrape them with a knife of metal brush and then use a spray cleaner. Then put a small coat of dielectric grease - as mentioned above you can get it at the auto parts store.

Then do your best to keep the connection from getting dirt on it - you won't likely have any problems. Good luck.
    Russell, Tammi & Daisy from Mississippi
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ford F-250 SRW 6.7L Powerstroke Crew Cab Platinum
    B & W Turnover/Companion

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, my mistake dielectric grease is non-conductive....hope I did not create confusion.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used dielectric grease in past and it caused issues with connection and is also attraction for dirt/dust; I would not recommend using it based on my past experience. Better just to spray both ends with electrical cleaner and let plug hand down and drain good.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Dad View Post
    I have received conflicting information on the maintenance of the 7 pin connector. Can I use something like WD-40 to ensure good clean contact? Or is that a bad idea?
    CAIG DeOxit works very well for cleaning pins...do not use any petroleum based spray as it tends to attract dirt too much.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have it on pretty good authority that it was developed by Boeing for aircraft maintenance. Is is water displacement (WD) and is also conductive. It won't leave a film that impedes the connection. It isn't isn't for corrosion removal and works ok as a penetrating "oil". I use it for outdoor electrical connections but wouldn't use it on circuit boards or PC's. Should work great on your 7-pin connector but do it with power off.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Dad View Post
    I have received conflicting information on the maintenance of the 7 pin connector. Can I use something like WD-40 to ensure good clean contact? Or is that a bad idea?
    Use die-electric grease

It’s specially formulated for electrical connections
    Jimmy

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a background in avionics and Aviation. I’ve used dielectric grease occasionally on connectors that are permanently connected such as spark plug boots etc. i don’t like dielectric grease on connectors that are routinely not connected and exposed to dirt and dust.

Once again, my go to preference is corrosion-x. It will not attract dust, prevents corrosion, fixes high resistance contacts due to minor corrosion. Lasts up to 2 years.

It my go to lubricant and connector chemical.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use dielectric grease on my shore power connection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live on an Island, so salt air is a problem, I copper coat most of my connections.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast