Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A/C does not cool

I have a 2016 Imagine 2150RB with a Dometic 15K AC unit (model # B59516.711J0). Cross reference reveals this is the Brisk Air model.

The A/C has been working fine until we went to use it this season. It only blows cool air but not cold. It will not cool down the interior at all. I checked the wiring on the thermostat and it appears to be intact. I checked the sensor in the inside of the unit and it appears to be in place correctly. The ducting is taped and intact as well. I pulled off the exterior shroud and checked out the capacitance and it was per the correct reading. I went ahead and bought a new capacitor and it made no difference. The fan is set to Auto and it turns on correctly. When I was on top, I did notice the different temperatures in the evaporators when the unit was running. The larger one was hot and the smaller one did feel cool (not cold) to the touch..

I can only assume that the unit must have a leak and their is minimal coolant available to do its job..

Can anyone else comment on this, as far as if I am missing anything in my troubleshooting? I wanted to check out everything before spending the big bucks on a new unit.

Thanks in advance,

B. Holt

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the amps the compressor is pulling when on. If it's low on gas it will be pulling a couple of amps,I think normal is around 7 or 8.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Check the amps the compressor is pulling when on. If it's low on gas it will be pulling a couple of amps,I think normal is around 7 or 8.
    Aridon,

Per your suggestion, I checked the amp draw of the trailer with my EMS... 1 amp without AC and 11 amps with AC running. The literature for that unit says 13.2 amps for the load rating. Measured the intake and the output air with the interior plastic cover removed. Both same temperatrure...

thanks,

B. Holt

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When our last Dometic Brisk Air II failed to blow cold air I checked the current draw and it was 13 amps. Only slightly less than when the A/C was working correctly. The refrigerant had leaked down to the point where the temp delta from hot side to cold side was only 3 degrees. At 11 amps I would think yours is low on refrigerant too.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Setting Up Camp BuddyLovesCamping's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    When our last Dometic Brisk Air II failed to blow cold air I checked the current draw and it was 13 amps. Only slightly less than when the A/C was working correctly. The refrigerant had leaked down to the point where the temp delta from hot side to cold side was only 3 degrees. At 11 amps I would think yours is low on refrigerant too.
    Sounds like I have the same problem. Is the refrigerant replaceable or does this require replacement of the entire unit?
    Ken, Suzi & Buddy (Sporgi - Spaniel/Corgi)
    Dallas, OR
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 344GK-R
    2012 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L, CC, LB, DRW, 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

replace the unt

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyLovesCamping View Post
    Sounds like I have the same problem. Is the refrigerant replaceable or does this require replacement of the entire unit?
    The unit basically is not serviceable. There are no taps for replacing the refrigerant. I replaced the unit and that did the job.. they really are easy to replace.. took about 25 minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncmts88 View Post
    The unit basically is not serviceable. There are no taps for replacing the refrigerant. I replaced the unit and that did the job.. they really are easy to replace.. took about 25 minutes.

Thanks for the quick reply! One last question: Any recommendations on where to buy from and what price to pay? (This is the bedroom unit -- not sure yet if it's the 13K or 15K BTU size, but probably the smaller.)
    Dallas, OR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyLovesCamping View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! One last question: Any recommendations on where to buy from and what price to pay? (This is the bedroom unit -- not sure yet if it's the 13K or 15K BTU size, but probably the smaller.)
    Sorry... no recommendations as I bought it from a local RV dealer as he was the only person who had it in stock... I think I paid about $800 for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry... no recommendations as I bought it from a local RV dealer as he was the only person who had it in stock... I think I paid about $800 for it.
    Ok thanks!
    Dallas, OR

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we added our second AC (in the bedroom), my husband ordered it from PPL Motor Homes, Houston, TX. Because they had the best price (2 years ago) and free shipping. About $800.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast