Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trip planning: South East month long trip. Need advice

Hello everyone. Planning a month long trip with my 303, sometime in March, wife and I, with 1 dog. I live in S. Florida and I was thinking of doing a large loop coming up the west coast, maybe the Corolina's, Georgia, then down the east coast. I'm going to be taking 2 weeks off of work, then working from the RV for 2 weeks (wi-fi available preferred, but not necessary). Looking for nice RV resorts or really nice state parks.

If anyone has done a similar trip, any tips and locations would be greatly appreciated. This would be our first multi-state, extended trip with the RV.

Thanks in advance!

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi , Keep in mind that March is a big exodus month for snowbirds so as you trek north so be sure to have reservations. The first week and last few days of March expect to see the masses depart. In our park (Gulf side) even in March it's fully booked.

Silly us ... we thought the first week of May we could find a spot in a NFCG on the way north near Asheville...nope they were booked , barely squeezed into a private park but only for 2 or 3 nights. Not the full week we wanted. ... Mama Gerties in Asheville has some great views the get even better if you splurge and camp on the top tier.

It sounds like a busy trip depending on how many stops you plan. Telling us youur interests will help send you in the right directions, We tend to favor NF and SPs when we travel , in the mountains at times cell signals can be weak to none so if you have to rely on either cell or internet for work you might want that leg of the trip to be closer to the coast.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you have not already made reservations it may be hard to find a place in state campground. I would suggest looking at Corps of Eng parks on lakes and streams(Federal Recreational); they usually will have a few openings and some have walk in sites. There is lots of state campgrounds in SE but all the good sites are reserved by now as they have 11 month booking window. Federal campgrounds have 6 month booking window.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Pigeon Forge today, and the campgrounds are full, especially on weekends. Never seen so many recreational vehicles. This area would certainly be preferable to go through as the Smokies are incredibly beautiful.

Looks like about every third car in the mountains has a Florida license plate. Obviously a favorite place for Floridians to vacate through.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did a trip similar to this, but in reverse, last Dec/Jan. We left from VA going west through Pigeon Forge, TN (Duvall in the Smokies) to Stone Mountain in GA. Then into FL to Punta Gorda down 75. We came back up the east side staying in Ocala State Park (FL), Crooked River State Park (GA - loved this park), Huntington Beach State Park (SC). I was able to book all of these in Dec for a Dec/Jan trip.

Other great places we've been to include Mama Gerties (Asheville, NC), Hatteras Sands (Hatteras, NC), Bullocksville Campground on Kerr Lake (NC State Recreation area).
    Mark, Linda and Riley (RIP 6/17/20)
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Dually LB
    B&W Companion hitch