User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although not full-timers, DH and I also jumped into RVing with both feet with a 42' Solitude. Absolute newbies, we found taking a driving class to be an invaluable experience. We booked with the RV Driving School (www.rvschool.com). I strongly suggest that you schedule the class for two. I am principally the navigator, but knowing how to pull/back the rig gives me the confidence I need should an emergency arise. Also, get disc brakes put on the 5er (already mentioned by someone on this chain).
    Beverlee Steinberg (the Navigator) for Chad Alexander (the Pilot) and Beverlee Steinberg
    2017 Solitude 384gk
    2017 Ford F350 Dually
    Rocky (His Royal Highness Handsomer Handsomest, aka "My Liege" - just ask him) and Enzo (the crazy Spinone/GoPro Cinematographer)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that works in our 46 years/ lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another newbie enjoiying your Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Welcome to the life, we where were you are 8 years ago, haven't looked back once. There is no such thing as a question to small, I learned early in life that if I had a question then there are probably 10 other people that have the same question, so if I ask the question, then all of us get smarter.

Some things to know.

In moving out of the house you HAVE to get real about stuff. If you haven't used it in a year you don't need it. Ask the kids if they want the junk you have been saving for them, don't get your feelings hurt if they say no thank you. Mostly we save stuff because it has such great sentimental value to us. It's hard to let go of that stuff.

You will need basic tools to make minor rv repairs. Being a homeowner you probably have a whole bunch of them, get back to basics. Get Fredericks #2 bit screwdrivers and drill bits.

If offered a longer power cord get it. Plan on getting at least a 25' sewer hose, I use that as a main an have a 10' extension that will get used about 3 times a year. Get a 30' water hose, or keep the 25' one that comes with the rv and get a second 50' water hose. Get a gray or black 25' hose to use exclusively on the blank tank wash. (Not really necessary but I have minor germaphobea).

Get chocks for the wheels for parking. I carry about 8 4x4 one foot long pressure treated blocks. The fancy plastic ones they sell work good also.

Get a twist on wast valve for the sewer exit port.

Practice parking in a big empty lot, remember that when it starts to turn to far you need to pull forward a foot or two to correct. Study up on tail swing, good u tube videos available, but it can be fun to set up cones/sticks/rocks and study the effects of turning.

Schedule a warranty repair appointment with the RV dealer for a month or two after you pick it up. They will ask what needs to be fixed, you will tell them your not sure but you will keep in touch as things are found, if nothing is found you will cancel the appointment well in advance so they don't lose shop time. Then as you do find things, call the service manager and let him know, they can pre-order parts and have what they need when you come back. This can be really successful if there is good communication. It can totally fail if the service manager is non-cooperative.

Be sure you have more than one credit card company. And it doesn't hurt to have two different banks. New anti-terrorist policies at financial institutes may pose a problem for opening new accounts when you don't have a fixed address.

Sign up for the Goodsam/Pilot gas card. Take a look at Passport America, we finally just bought the lifetime membership.

TPMS - Tire Pressure Monitor System. This is one of my pet projects. I had bad tire and axle problems when I first started out in my SOB (some other brand). These devices allow you to monitor you tire pressure on your 5th wheel while driving down the road. IMHO (in my humble opinion) this is very important.

TV - dual meaning, good ole television, or tow vehicle.

DW, DH - Depending on the context it can mean darling wife, darling husband, or damn wife damn husband. In most parking stories it's usually the latter.

EMS - Electonic Monitor System, can be external or internal, Look at buying one for the power post, brown outs and power surges damage our RV's.

Speaking of parking. You will be challenged. Try never to park at night until you are really comfortable with it. You may have to seek out marriage counseling to work out the particulars of who does what and why. I neglected to do this, so as the years have passed DW has only one responsibility while I park the 5th wheel, yell stop at the top of her lungs should she see me 2' feet away from hitting something. Why 2'? She doesn't want to embarrass herself so she hesitates, then it takes me a second to react. We tried 6" and 1', but I crunched some stuff before I got stopped, then she would ask me why I hit it... That's just us having fun being married, but the point is that parking can be a point of stress, take it slow and easy, communicate as best you can. Never feel bad about holding up traffic while you park, it's part of what we do.

Figure out early how you are going to manage all the pictures you take. After trying several services and blog thingy's I finally just set up sub-directories on my hard drive by year, month, and then put a date and descriptor of the location in sub-folders that hold the pictures. I then back those up to external hard drives, one I leave with the kids and rotate them out as we visit. Those hard drives also have scanned copies of important documents should they be needed.

Now that you have decided on what clothes to bring throw out all the work clothes. (unless you are still working of course)

Now just go have fun.
    First - I envy your journey... lots of good advice here so far and I look forward to your updates as we now all have the chance to share that journey with you - be sure to keep us in the loop.
    My wife and I have recently purchased 2018 300GK and I needed a friend to move it to our back yard. No truck to pull yet but I will get one! I am taking the opportunity to learn how everything works at home before going mobile. Target Oct 1! (mostly because of work schedule). We are not selling the house but looking forward to a < opportunity for longer trips.
    Seeing how Western Pa winters get a bit long Feb-March is looking pretty good right now.
    It's been 35 years since we had a small 18' pull behind which is what kept my wife from wanting to do this for so long. Not the 35 years part but the memories of working like crazy to pack the trailer and 3 toddlers for days only to go away and realize you don't have what you need. Then working to pack up a few days later to go back home and unpack, clean up, and on... and on... - Those days were hard for her. Our kids are older now and I can be much more involved in the process - so we finally did it.

Looking forward to getting to know you all too and Keep sharing - it helps! - the only dumb questions are the ones not ask!
    Last edited by Bigfred; 08-21-2019 at 04:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfred View Post
    ... the memories of working like crazy to pack the trailer and 3 toddlers for days only to go away and realize you don't have what you need. Then working to pack up a few days later to go back home and unpack, clean up, and on... and on... - Those days were hard for her.
    My toddlers wished they had a camper, we were tenting in those days. You will enjoy having the RV setup and ready to go. Add groceries and maybe some more clothes and off you go. Being full timers we enjoy having our clothes and toys with us all the time.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123