User Tag List

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stone nicked exterior finish

Until this year, we’ve not driven on the highway very much. After our 2 week trip this year, I found this, about a foot above the street side pass through door.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7343A048-DF9B-427C-829B-B878838186CE.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	504.7 KB 
ID:	21839

Thinking of masking the area with a plastic garbage bag and spraying it with a few light passes of marine spar. Worried it might yellow with age, though. Has anyone else had a chip like this happen?
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't help with how to fix it (marine products are probably the best), but I found a nick on the front of our Reflection next to the storage bin. I got a Rock Tamer mudflap like JJ has on his truck. At least, I'm hoping to prevent another nick in the front area. Yours looks like a stone thrown up form a passing vehicle. We hope you can fill it without having it yellow. Since our color is already tan, the filler might not show even if it does "yellow".
    E.
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a marina or a place that does fiberglass repair on boats check with them, I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Line x

If you can't dodge it... Ram it
    If you cant dodge it, RAM it.:jaw:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Until this year, we’ve not driven on the highway very much. After our 2 week trip this year, I found this, about a foot above the street side pass through door.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7343A048-DF9B-427C-829B-B878838186CE.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	504.7 KB 
ID:	21839

Thinking of masking the area with a plastic garbage bag and spraying it with a few light passes of marine spar. Worried it might yellow with age, though. Has anyone else had a chip like this happen?
    N
    This is not that hard of a fix. You need the smallest amount of Gelcoat that you can buy. I know you can buy a 1/2 pint tin but you might be able to get it in a tube also. The only issue you will have is with the amount that you need to mix, you will have to mix about a tablespoon but you only need a tiny amount to fix the chip. Your going to need 1 sheet 320 wet sand paper, 1 sheet 800 wet sand paper and 1 sheet 1500 wet paper a small piece of saran wrap and a small putty knife. You can't mix the gelcoat on cardboard it will absorbe the wax from the cardboard and change the gelcoat to a yellow tint so find an old drinking glass and use the bottom of it as a mixing board.
    1- clean the chip with soap and water.
    2- Use rubbing alcohol to finish cleaning.
    3*- Use the 320 sand paper with water and just sand the chip. You can fold the sandpaper so your just using your finger tip it sand it.
    4- Mix the gelcoat following the instructions for the amount of hardener to use.
    5- Appy a small amount in the chip so it is only slightly raised.
    6- Take the saran wrap and put it over the gelcoat and smooth it out slightly.
    7- Let it dry over night.
    8- Remove the saran wrap and find a small block of wood about 1/2" by 1/2"
    9- Tear a stip off the 800 wet paper wrap it around the piece of wood use water and sand the chip.
    10- When it's almost fluch stop and use the 1500 sandpaper to finish it off.
    11- You can use a compounding wax to finish it.

*You could try just cleaning the chip using soap and water then the rubbing alcohol but don't sand with the 320.

I was off for the summers and worked at a marina doing fiberglass repairs. I have picture of things that people damaged that you would think could never be fixed.
    Good luck it's not that hard to fix it.

Ken
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken, Thank you so much for the step by step instructions. I once fixed a huge dent (compared to this little nick) in the top of my baseboard heating unit using automotive “bondo”, so this seems similar, just smaller. Thanks, too, for the tip about the cardboard (because that’s what I usually grab to mix up resins)! This is exactly the kind of process I was looking for.

Nancy
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L