User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpypapa View Post
    Thanks for all the help and ideas ,sure helps in the planning .John,what were the temps in february ,after reading about how busy the park is in march (march break)we are thinking about going earlier !
    I recall the temps being in the 40's at night and low to mid 70's in the day. These temps are for Rio Grande Village. The Chisos Basin area. Is considerably higher elevation. I believe the campground was near 100% occupancy in the 10 nights we were there. If you need full hookups there is a campground at the Rio Grande Village store, about 1/2 mile from the BBNP campground. The full hookup campground is a parking lot with connections.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure you spend time in Big Bend State Park as well.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you desire to experience one of Texas' truly unique events, the Terlingua International Chili Championship is an annual event held on a remote ranch in Terlingua, Texas. Hailed as the “grandaddy of all chili cook-offs,”. Moreover, there is a second competing chili cook-off across town. Both are a hoot - held at the end of October and/or early November, I believe. Google it.

Hook 'em

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were in Big Bend in Feb. also the last two weeks. The nights got a little chilly but the days warmed up quickly to the upper 70's to low 80's. The wildflowers were in bloom although probably not at peak. Highway 385 will take you right in to the middle of Big Bend National Park which is good if that is where you decide to camp. Campsites there are hard to find unless you book months in advance. Highway 118 will take you from Alpine Tx. into Terlingua Tx. . We stayed in a small campground in Study Butte which is real close to Terlingua. The sites are close together and no WiFi but the owners are awesome. The restrooms and showers were clean and they were putting a new laundry mat when we stayed. Great water pressure so you will need a regulator. The park entrance is about three miles from the campground and it is about 30 miles into the middle of the park. There are not a lot of campsites anywhere so plan well ahead of time. Take a couple days to check out Alpine if you have the time. We spent eight days there and it was plenty of time.
    Last edited by papermakermd; 08-21-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will not be able to camp in the Basin beautiful place nice hotel but there are some turns that you can’t make. The HWY from Marathon is good. The HWY from Alpine is a nice HWY. If you go from Marfa that could turn to an pulling experience after you leave Presidio you will be in for some pretty country but difficult towing.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is camp ground at the rio grande call rio grande village I think. Just one store there.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rphilb View Post
    If you desire to experience one of Texas' truly unique events, the Terlingua International Chili Championship is an annual event held on a remote ranch in Terlingua, Texas. Hailed as the “grandaddy of all chili cook-offs,”. Moreover, there is a second competing chili cook-off across town. Both are a hoot - held at the end of October and/or early November, I believe. Google it.

Hook 'em
    thank you
    Brian
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Chevrolet 2500 hd,Duramax-Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled my GD 303 33ft. fifth wheel with my RAM 2500 diesel through Big Bend last January. Came in on 118 and left on 385 and had no problem with either road.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good to know.thank you
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Chevrolet 2500 hd,Duramax-Allison

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12