User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Front basement storage question

I have a 310GK, and the front storage (basement) area has on several threads been used as a "garage" area and sorted as such.
    Question is, how much weight can one store in this area safely?
    I have a mechanics toolbox (3' wide c/w drawers) to store tools and would like to put in this front area.
    Quite heavy when loaded with tools, so what is the deal here?

It does have a metal floor, but unsure of the bracing or rigidity of this flooring area when under towing conditions.
    Any and all suggestions/info greatly appreciated!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystudiois View Post
    I have a 310GK, and the front storage (basement) area has on several threads been used as a "garage" area and sorted as such.
    I have a mechanics toolbox (3' wide c/w drawers) to store tools and would like to put in this front area.

It does have a metal floor, but unsure of the bracing or rigidity of this flooring area when under towing conditions.
    Not an expert, but since most of the weight you put there ends up on the pin, your tow vehicle's capability and the rest of its load - you and passenger and other things normally in the truck - are an important part of answering your question. To help others do that, what is your tow vehicle? (Maybe create a signature under "My Profile" above that reveals your trailer and tower.)

Re: the metal floor, I didn't feel it was strong enough to carry a lot of weight so when planning to install four batteries weighing about 280 pounds of batteries there I cut 3/4" pressure-treated plywood to fit across the entire floor to distribute the load better. Ended up with only two batteries so far, but their 140 pounds has survived lots of travel and some good bumps.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks boyscout..
    Not a bad idea with the 3/4" ply.. spread the load.
    As far as the ride is concerned, we have the Solitude 310GK, hitched to a Ford 350 Dually (6.7l diesel) so I am quite certain we are OK for pin weight.
    I have on several occasions tried to create a sig file, but no luck yet..
    Ill dive in specifically on the forum for answers..

Ry.
    Last edited by Mystudiois; 08-07-2019 at 11:46 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks boycott..
    Not a bad idea with the 3/4" ply.. spread the load.
    As far as the ride is concerned, we have the Solitude 310GK, hitched to a Ford 350 Dually (6.7l diesel) so I am quite certain we are OK for pin weight.
    I have on several occasions tried to create a sig file, but no luck yet..
    Ill dive in specifically on the forum for answers..

Ry.
    K, so I think I have it now!
    LOL!
    Ryan and Charlie
    And our four legged daughter Bobbi!
    310GK Solitude, Ford 350 dually Long Bed, 6.7L Diesel, 23K Stock Reese hitch.
    Canadian Members

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put the tools and such that I might need while still hooked up in the basement storage, not the front one because they are much easier to access. Just a thought.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front Storage Weight capacity (follow up)

Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Not an expert, but since most of the weight you put there ends up on the pin, your tow vehicle's capability and the rest of its load - you and passenger and other things normally in the truck - are an important part of answering your question. To help others do that, what is your tow vehicle? (Maybe create a signature under "My Profile" above that reveals your trailer and tower.)

Re: the metal floor, I didn't feel it was strong enough to carry a lot of weight so when planning to install four batteries weighing about 280 pounds of batteries there I cut 3/4" pressure-treated plywood to fit across the entire floor to distribute the load better. Ended up with only two batteries so far, but their 140 pounds has survived lots of travel and some good bumps.
    Hey Boyscout!
    Been doing some further research here..
    For the 310GK there is an option for Onan generator which I do not have.
    Turns out the weight of this unit is about 290lbs.
    Not sure if GD does any additional "bracing" for this unit to be installed, but considering both the generator/washer & dryer we DONT have, I am sure the pin weight is within limits for the Ford 350 DRW, long box.
    Combined these units would add an additional 510lbs to pin as an approximation.

Therefore even adding a toolbox in front, with the 2 x 6v batts in there, I should be good! (Approx 300-350lbs)
    As a safety measure, I will be installing the 3/4" ply to distribute weight as suggested
    (Here is the ratings on the truck)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ford Sticker.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	21888
    Ryan and Charlie
    And our four legged daughter Bobbi!
    310GK Solitude, Ford 350 dually Long Bed, 6.7L Diesel, 23K Stock Reese hitch.
    Canadian Members

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Boyscout! Been doing some further research here.. For the 310GK there is an option for Onan generator which I do not have. Turns out the weight of this unit is about 290lbs. Not sure if GD does any additional "bracing" for this unit to be installed, but considering both the generator/washer & dryer we DONT have, I am sure the pin weight is within limits for the Ford 350 DRW, long box. Combined these units would add an additional 510lbs to pin as an approximation. Therefore even adding a toolbox in front, with the 2 x 6v batts in there, I should be good! (Approx 300-350lbs) As a safety measure, I will be installing the 3/4" ply to distribute weight as suggested (Here is the ratings on the truck)
    Looks good Ryan, your analysis makes sense to me. I hope it's clear that I wasn't saying you'd have a problem - I'm not expert enough to do that - just that you needed to take your tow vehicle's capabilities into consideration as you work out the details.

Re: the factory generator prep, I have it and no, I'm pretty sure they don't put extra bracing under the floor of the front compartment. The intake and exhaust for the generator are both through punch-outs in the steel floor, and a steel cover for top and left side of the generator is added which might add a very small bit of extra upward rigidity but I haven't noticed any extra bracing underneath.

You haven't said how much your tools will weigh, but it sounds like you'll probably be OK, especially with the plywood floor in there. Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if they attach them the same way as ours on not, ours is a 2014 and they may have changed their building process since then. Ours was just held together with adhesive of some kind.We ran some sheet metal screws through the lip where it attaches at the front. Others have put steel bracing underneath. We haven't had a problem since and I don't recall hearing of others having a problem either. In fact what they use must work pretty well because you don't hear of anyone having problems. With the weight you are talking about though myself I would do something about extra bracing, just to be safe.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aw heck . . . . just do what most people do; Close your eyes and go!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have gen prep on my 310 & added plywood to help. BUT it seems that the floor sags in the middle, not much but enough that the middle catch didn't & I had to extend it. I watch what I put in there now... until I get my roundtuit & weld some angle iron to brace it up.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC