User Tag List

Thread: First trip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First trip

Heading out tomorrow on a quick weekend shake down this will be my first time backing in a 5th wheel been playing around the neighborhood I feel good about everything but backing it in but I will have some help and I will be in no hurry. Son tells me he will come by after he gets off work to make sure I don't do anything dumb. I asked him why he would say that and he tells me I know how you are ill bring some tools.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck on your first trip. Dont be afraid to take your time or block traffic, we've all been there at some point. If you dont have a spotter, dont be afraid to get out and look as many times as needed. Certainly better than hitting something. If you have a choice, pick a site that is on your driver side, much easier to see everything while backing up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck and have fun! That first trip is always memorable! When we got the 2500RL, I bought walkie talkies for those back-in moments and they have worked out well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the first trip started out bad first time backing a 5er into a site that went good. First issue was the hitch would not come undone unlocked ok after 10 min I finally got it off not sure what happen there went to put out first slide heard a crunch I found a kitchen cabinet door open only pulled track from back of cabinet next water heater would not stay lit . My son showed up an hour later with tools in tow found a wire on water heater not connected good, cabinet door couple of screws and all is well . After that all was well just need the thermostat looked at started out very frustrated but things settled down and had a nice weekend with family and friends on there first week end with there new trailer .

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear nothing major went wrong. Guess it's a good thing your son planned on heading out there with some tools. A little tip on unhooking the camper. Dont forget to put wheel chocks down. Once you're ready to disconnect and have the front legs down, make sure you put the legs down enough where the weight is off of the hitch, all hitches are different, but I can see the hitch slightly move when the weight is off mine, then I put the truck in neutral, take foot off the break, the truck will move a small amount and then I put it back in park, then when in park I will unlock the hitch and pull the release handle. Hope it works out better next trip, the more you use it, you will figure it out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea Im lucky that my son is a RV tech I don't need to pay for labor just have to deal with him shaking his head at so of the things I mess up I asked him why I had so much trouble with the hitch he said it was not off the plate enough or too much of an deflection in it I told him that it was not completely straight he said that's what did it. Next time I will know better
    Last edited by joebob; 08-13-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    Yea Im lucky that my son is a RV tech I don't need to pay for labor just have to deal with him shaking his head at so of the things I mess up I asked him why I had so much trouble with the hitch he said it was not off the plate enough or too much of an deflection in it I told him that it was not completely straight he said that's what did it. Next time I will know better
    One of my son's always needs my help and I stand there shaking my head sometimes too LOL. I love to help him out and I'm sure your son does too.

Regards,
    Kevin
    PS: you will get the hand of it in time
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears