Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 F350 CC 6 3/4' box, 2019 or 2020 303RLS and 2nd gen Reese Goosebox

Hello,
    Trying to see if I can use the Reese Goosebox with my setup and get 90 degree turns - forward and back. Main reason for 90 degrees is we have a steep hill that sometimes has black ice, resulting in loosing control and sliding until the driveway flattens out. Also don't want to put out a window or hit the rails during a brain freeze . Truck is on order and the 303RLS is at the dealer (couple of hours away) until the truck arrives. Does anyone have this setup? If not looking for the following measurements - 2019 F350 CCSB - distance from back of cab to center of goose neck ball (ordered with Ford puck system)? For the 303RLS looking for measurement from the front of the trailer to the center of the Goosebox coupler? Reese gave me a measurement on the pinbox length (center of goosebox coupler to front bolt = 18.25"). Spent hours researching this but have not found these specifics and some say it works and other say it doesn't.
    Thanks in advance - Mike
    Mike and Marita
    2019 F350 Lariat CCSB 6.7L Diesel SRW
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
    Reese Elite 5th Airborne Sidewinder, Reese custom wedge, B&W Companion hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to look for an offset goose ball that gives you 3 to 4 more inches. I think B&W makes one. Check etrailer... Good luck!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Boom 'r Bust. Have looked into that but the offset goose ball doesn't fit the Ford puck system.
    I did send this question to etrailer and received the following response

Options for Towing 2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS w 2019 Ford F-350 Short Bed OEM Rail Kit

Question:
    Hello, Only question I could find on this dealt with 1st Gen Goosebox and Ram 2500 65inch bed. Will Gen 2 work with 2019 F350 CCSB 69inch bed and Ford pucks? If not will it work with BandW Gooseneck turnover ball with 4inch extender? Truck is on order with Ford pucks but will cancel Ford pucks if it doesnt work and BandW does. Trailer is 2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS. Thank you in advance.
    asked by: Mike

Helpful Expert Reply:

The older and current generations of the Reese Goosebox adapter part # RP94716 that you referenced are compatible with the factory gooseneck hitch you have on order of the 2019 Ford F-350. That said, since you have a short bed truck you may find that won't have the needed turning clearance and you'd need a slider hitch to provide that.

Best solution overall that I can guarantee will fit and work well is the B and W Companion fifth wheel slider hitch part # BWRVK3370 which fits directly to the factory rail kit of your truck and also provides the needed clearance to make tight turns since it can slide back 12 inches.

I checked out the 2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS you mentioned and it has a slight taper to the nose of it which might give you the needed clearance without using a slider hitch. Since the short bed version of your truck is a bit longer than most short beds at 6-3/4 feet that also helps quite a bit as well.

helpful expert reply by: Jameson C
    Mike and Marita

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Boom 'r Bust. Have looked into that but the offset goose ball doesn't fit the Ford puck system.
    I did send this question to etrailer and received the following response

Options for Towing 2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS w 2019 Ford F-350 Short Bed OEM Rail Kit

Question:
    Hello, Only question I could find on this dealt with 1st Gen Goosebox and Ram 2500 65inch bed. Will Gen 2 work with 2019 F350 CCSB 69inch bed and Ford pucks? If not will it work with BandW Gooseneck turnover ball with 4inch extender? Truck is on order with Ford pucks but will cancel Ford pucks if it doesnt work and BandW does. Trailer is 2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS. Thank you in advance.

Helpful Expert Reply:

The older and current generations of the Reese Goosebox adapter part # RP94716 that you referenced are compatible with the factory gooseneck hitch you have on order of the 2019 Ford F-350. That said, since you have a short bed truck you may find that won't have the needed turning clearance and you'd need a slider hitch to provide that.

Best solution overall that I can guarantee will fit and work well is the B and W Companion fifth wheel slider hitch part # BWRVK3370 which fits directly to the factory rail kit of your truck and also provides the needed clearance to make tight turns since it can slide back 12 inches.

I checked out the 2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS you mentioned and it has a slight taper to the nose of it which might give you the needed clearance without using a slider hitch. Since the short bed version of your truck is a bit longer than most short beds at 6-3/4 feet that also helps quite a bit as well.

helpful expert reply by: Jameson C
    Mike and Marita

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom 'r Bust View Post
    You may want to look for an offset goose ball that gives you 3 to 4 more inches. I think B&W makes one. Check etrailer... Good luck!
    B&W does make an offset goose ball but unfortunately it only works with the B&W underbed set up. Curt also makes one but again only designed to work with the Curt set up. When I looked I was unable to find any offset ball designed to work with the Ford factory fifth wheel prep package.
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcl1jw View Post
    Hello,
    Trying to see if I can use the Reese Goosebox with my setup and get 90 degree turns - forward and back. Main reason for 90 degrees is we have a steep hill that sometimes has black ice, resulting in loosing control and sliding until the driveway flattens out. Also don't want to put out a window or hit the rails during a brain freeze . Truck is on order and the 303RLS is at the dealer (couple of hours away) until the truck arrives. Does anyone have this setup? If not looking for the following measurements - 2019 F350 CCSB - distance from back of cab to center of goose neck ball (ordered with Ford puck system)? For the 303RLS looking for measurement from the front of the trailer to the center of the Goosebox coupler? Reese gave me a measurement on the pinbox length (center of goosebox coupler to front bolt = 18.25"). Spent hours researching this but have not found these specifics and some say it works and other say it doesn't.
    Thanks in advance - Mike
    Hey man, I've got a '18 F350 CCSB myself, with factory puck system. We're not going to get 90° with a goosebox. From all the research I've done for true 90°, our only options are either the sidewinder pinbox or slider hitches. All that being said, I put a down-payment on a '20 GD 31MB with a Gen2 Goosebox pinbox. From everything I've read, and all my conversations, we never really want to get to full 90°. It's hella harsh on your tires and axles. I figure we're looking at probably 70° - 80° max turn on level ground.

Measurements ('18 F350 with Ford OEM puck system):
    - Cab to Gooseball: right at 36"
    - Gooseball (18.25") plus 36" puts us at 53"

We just put a deposit on a GD31MB this past weekend. I'm going with the goosebox to keep my bed clear, cut down on weight and provide a slightly easier ride on the RV. The goosebox will get me close enough to full turn radius. The only tricky part could potentially be at high angles with very unlevel ground, and that could be tricky with any 5th hitch.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for answering. I sent the same question to etrailer and following is their response. I'm going to give the Goosebox a shot as want the clear bed. Never want to intentionally do 90 degrees but wanted the protection for when I mess up.
    Etrailer

Question:

Helpful Expert Reply:

Mike and Marita

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah - the ETrailer guys can't recommend the goosebox because it's not guaranteed 100% to not connect with your cab. That's the thing with us standard/short bed guys. The only guaranteed no-hit hitches will be either a slider or the sidewinder. Depending on your specific requirements the Andersen Ultimate could potentially work as well. It can be configured to move the pivot point about 8" back behind the gooseball.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Appfan,
    Have you received your trailer and had a chance to use the goose box?
    Mike and Marita

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcl1jw View Post
    Hello Appfan,
    Have you received your trailer and had a chance to use the goose box?
    Hey Mike & Marita!
    Yes - we picked up our new rig just over a week ago. Zero issues with the Goosebox. Our dealer mounted in the "high" position, and initially I was concerned that it would need to be lowered. However even at the high position, we still have 7.5" of bedrail clearance. We're currently towing a touch nose-high by about 3" - 4". I'll address that over the next few months with a couple of changes (larger tires, upgrade to morryde suspension). Currently I'm using the B&W ball kit, which also adds 1". I could swap to a lower ball, however I don't want to go much lower on bedrail clearance.

I'd recommend you thoroughly familiarize yourself with the recommended installation, hitching and operation of the Goosebox. Especially how to "air-up" the hitch. My experience was that our dealer's techs didn't have much experience with them.

We stopped at a large parking lot, on the way home, to do a bit of backing practice and check backup angles. We get 70° to 80° turn clearance, which is good in my book. (yes I loose major points for taking zero "first hitch" pics).

As this was our first time towing / backing / hitching / leveling a 5ver - I'm happy to say we got it home and nestled into it's parking spot all with zero drama. When we were done we were still married and still talking to each other.

Smooth ride and plenty of power from the 6.7. I could tell I was towing heavy (about 10K), but easy acceleration / stopping. I still need to make some minor adjustments to the brake controller gain. So overall great experience.
    Last edited by Appfan; 09-11-2019 at 05:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast