User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If any of you folks with the 6.75' boxes (like me) have pictures of your hitch system with the v2 Goosebox hooked up, please share. I don't have a 5'er, but want to learn all I can.

Thanks
    Jim
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we were done we were still married and still talking to each other.
    Glad to hear, I think we all know what you mean by that statement.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Appfan View Post
    Yeah - the ETrailer guys can't recommend the goosebox because it's not guaranteed 100% to not connect with your cab. That's the thing with us standard/short bed guys. The only guaranteed no-hit hitches will be either a slider or the sidewinder. Depending on your specific requirements the Andersen Ultimate could potentially work as well. It can be configured to move the pivot point about 8" back behind the gooseball.
    I learned only recently that Lippert now offers another option called a "Turning Point" pinbox (for OEM installation only) to resolve the cab-hitting problem in short-box trucks.

The pin portion gets locked/wedged into the standard fifth wheel hitch such that the entire pin arm of the pinbox rotates when the truck turns. The pivot point is at the back of the pinbox, so the entire pin arm of the pin box turns with the truck. Moves the pivot point back 22", which is enough to avoid having the trailer connect with the cab on (I'd guess) nearly all trucks.

It is, again, OEM-only and will not be appearing on many GD trailers soon because it's (currently) limited to 16,000 pounds but I believe it's appearing on some lighter GD models already.

Lower left on the following page:

https://www.lci1.com/rv-pin-boxes
    Last edited by boyscout; 09-22-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NASCAR9 View Post
    When we were done we were still married and still talking to each other.
    Glad to hear, I think we all know what you mean by that statement.
    Funny thing is, we went out for our inaugural shake-down run this weekend. Hitching up, on the way out, took "a while" with her help. Same when we were getting ready to leave the CG.

I finally said "you're getting pretty frustrated - just let me handle it". I had it "on the pin" within the next 5 minutes.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Appfan,
    Have you been able to make the trailer more level and maintain bed clearance? Do you have 18 or 20" tires on your truck.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcl1jw View Post
    Hello Appfan,
    Have you been able to make the trailer more level and maintain bed clearance? Do you have 18 or 20" tires on your truck.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Hey Mike,
    Since our first couple of tows have been really short. I've decided to wait until our next outing, in December, to measure again and work on some chucking issues. So - short answer is no - haven't worked on leveling / bedrail clearance.

FYI - our 350 is equipped with the 18" wheels. Camper package.

Cheers!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a followup to my original post and the direction I went.
    Tried to get a written response from Lippert re: warranty with options of using Reese Goosebox 2, AUH and Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder. On this site I did find letters, dated a few years ago, from Lippert to Grand Design saying the 5th Airborne Sidewinder and AUH were approved but since since then it seems their official verbal response is they are not approved and nothing in writing.
    I went with the Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder and the B&W Companion hitch with custom wedge. My completely unscientific feeling is the Sidewinder with air and a shock will put less stress on the 5th wheel and the B&W Companion breaks into 2 pieces that I can handle. Tested the setup in a parking lot and I can get over 90 degrees - went real slow and when I saw what the wheels looked like I hope to never have to turn that much. The trailer will not hit the rear window but it will put a dent in the side of the truck. Took our first trip in Jan, 2200 miles one way - from Northern NY to South Texas. The trailer looks like it's riding a little high with plenty of bed clearance - over 8 inches. Hitch and Sidewinder are set on the lowest settings - Westlake 16" tires and truck tires 18". Tire pressure on all 6 wheels stayed basically the same for the whole trip. They actually stayed within one to two psi of the F350 rear wheels - cold pressure of 80psi. Ride was smooth and the 5th wheel is so much easier to tow than our previous TT. This is the first I've towed a 5th wheel so have nothing else to compare my setup to.
    Thanks for all your input.
    Mike
    Mike and Marita
    2019 F350 Lariat CCSB 6.7L Diesel SRW
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
    Reese Elite 5th Airborne Sidewinder, Reese custom wedge, B&W Companion hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appfan,

I was just about losing hope of going to a Goose box before seeing this post... I have essentially the same TV, pulling a 31MB as well. Currently using the Anderson set up with the stock pin box. It's been fine with no issues but thought going to the Goose box would help with trailering "comfort" and free up space in the bed.

Curious, if you have any updates to share? Sounds like bedrail clearance is fine? Still nose up or have you been able to level it out? The only difference is I'm using a B&W turnover ball and was planning on using the 4" offset to gain a bit more clearance from the cab.

Appreciate the feedback and post some pics please!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2019 F350 CC SW
    Reese Goosebox

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12