User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The v8 Nissan is a camel of an engine, if the Titan had a standard inline Cummins, all would have been good. As it is the V8 joint venture has given both Nissan and Cummins a black eye. Last year read an article on a Titan diesel that had to be trailered home, it had so many issues it just wasn’t worth it - the article was written by an automotive reporter. Locally here they are just about giving them away.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Never understood what customer base this truck was built for. Other than a few that wanted a diesel in a mid sized truck, one was still left with a mid sized truck with mid sized truck capabilities. Add the extra weight of a diesel and this truck had very low payload numbers but came with a full sized truck price.
    Agree totally. Seems like they were going for a niche that didn't exist.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    Agree totally. Seems like they were going for a niche that didn't exist.
    Still puzzling why Toyota or Nissan refuses to sell a 3/4 ton truck here. There is certainly a market for them.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    Where can I buy a Dodge Cummings? All I can find is a RAM Cummins.

.........sorry, I couldn’t resist.
    You mean a Fiat Cummins :-)
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    The price for Titan with diesel was very high; when I first saw initial price I knew it wouldn't sell. Cummins probably sells more diesel engines than Ford and GM combined. They are largest supplier for motor homes along with other applications like in construction industry and Dodge trucks. Dodge is now having issues after software upgrade took some of zip out of performance of their diesel trucks to past emission test.
    Actually, Fiat and their subsidiaries sell more diesel engines than Caterpillar, John Deere and Cummins combined. I think the Cummins light duty diesel they're talking about was originally slated to go to Toyota, and there was some kind of disagreement between the companies. Cummins had engineered the motor from scratch and setup a whole factory to make it--$100's of millions spent. Cummins offered the engine to Nissan at a price they couldn't refuse, but they were in the process of redesigning their trucks and it took awhile to get it to the retail market.

Before Nissan redesigned their 1/2 ton trucks, Ford sold more F Series trucks in a week than Nissan sold in a year. That's 52+:1 built and sold. I attribute low sales their mistake of putting the factory in Canton, Mississippi where the average factory worker is marginal at best. Middle Tennessee built Nissans are far superior products. Nissan's R&D budgets have been spent on automobiles and SUV's--and not in modernizing truck production.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I attribute low sales their mistake of putting the factory in Canton, Mississippi where the average factory worker is marginal at best.
    LOL, so it's the worker's fault.

Management made the mistake of building a truck the masses didn't want. Personally I never cared for Nissan vehicles except the Murano.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The marginal quality of vehicles coming out of the Mississippi factory is well known. But design of the products and a general lack of proper marketing is also to blame. Nissan has had a revolving door going with hundreds of engineers coming from Japan to Canton month after month without success. The quality of Mississippi factory workers just don't hold a candle to the quality of workers in Middle Tennessee where Nissan has the largest auto factory in North America--153 football fields in size under one roof.

Nissan spent fortunes on automobile design and now their engineering is taking that technology into their SUV's, including their very successful Rogue model. And we know where the market is going on automobiles--down the tubes.

Nissan continues to stick with an archaic styling of their mid size Frontier truck when Toyota's Tundra has dominated the market until Chevy's Colorado was redesigned. With Ford's Ranger coming into the market, another nail has been put in the casket of Canton, Mississippi's factory. It's just a shame that Nissan hasn't performed better on trucks.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    The marginal quality of vehicles coming out of the Mississippi factory is well known. But design of the products and a general lack of proper marketing is also to blame. Nissan has had a revolving door going with hundreds of engineers coming from Japan to Canton month after month without success. The quality of Mississippi factory workers just don't hold a candle to the quality of workers in Middle Tennessee where Nissan has the largest auto factory in North America--153 football fields in size under one roof.

Nissan spent fortunes on automobile design and now their engineering is taking that technology into their SUV's, including their very successful Rogue model. And we know where the market is going on automobiles--down the tubes.

Nissan continues to stick with an archaic styling of their mid size Frontier truck when Toyota's Tundra has dominated the market until Chevy's Colorado was redesigned. With Ford's Ranger coming into the market, another nail has been put in the casket of Canton, Mississippi's factory. It's just a shame that Nissan hasn't performed better on trucks.
    I think you meant Toyota Tacoma? They would compare to the Colorado or Ranger in size. Speaking of Toyota, their trucks don't impress me either. Motor Trend's review of the new Tacoma was pretty bad. The Tundra has a low payload and drinks gas.

Too bad for Nissan. It would be out of the ordinary for assembly to be the main culprit. It's usually poor engineering or lack of process control while building parts or assemblies. That's been China's problem for years, one refrigerator will last years while the next lasts weeks.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    I think you meant Toyota Tacoma? They would compare to the Colorado or Ranger in size. Speaking of Toyota, their trucks don't impress me either. Motor Trend's review of the new Tacoma was pretty bad. The Tundra has a low payload and drinks gas.

Too bad for Nissan. It would be out of the ordinary for assembly to be the main culprit. It's usually poor engineering or lack of process control while building parts or assemblies. That's been China's problem for years, one refrigerator will last years while the next lasts weeks.
    Excuse me on the mistake. Nissan has been a good neighbor in Middle Tennessee for many years, and they've been a bright light in a great economy. So good that GM built Saturn close by.

Once you have a couple of manufacturers close together, you have component suppliers working for both. Throw in Honda and Mercedes in Alabama and in comes Hyundai and Kia to the Deep South. And Toyota makes Corollas in Tupelo area and is building a major factory in Huntsville right now. The region is now Little Detroit, and the cars coming out of all these factories are doggone good.

We're seeing new auto component factories being built all around the Huntsville area right now, and the Toyota/Mazda building is going up fast. Now Toyota's got to figure out what vehicle they're going to build as they're changing their minds right now.

And all the while, Nissan's little Canton truck factory is like a stepchild over there by itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I wouldn't trust a Cummings. I've never seen one, despite hearing about them for years.

A Cummins, on the other hand, is a great engine. I haven't heard about Nissan dumping them, and Ram/Dodge has been using them for years with great results.
    I had a fondness for Cummins before the emissions stuff. I never had the pickup version but the heavy commercial truck version, the N-14. Great motor and had 3 of them. Got a Cummins ISX15 in 2005 and grew to hate Cummins. Another ISX15 in 2006 and I decided that I will never have another Cummins engine. In a pickup, a gen set, or a heavy truck. Cummins cost me roughly $40,000 and there are no more chances to do it again. This is why when Nissan offered it, I never even considered it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast