User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Excuse me on the mistake. Nissan has been a good neighbor in Middle Tennessee for many years, and they've been a bright light in a great economy. So good that GM built Saturn close by.

Once you have a couple of manufacturers close together, you have component suppliers working for both. Throw in Honda and Mercedes in Alabama and in comes Hyundai and Kia to the Deep South. And Toyota makes Corollas in Tupelo area and is building a major factory in Huntsville right now. The region is now Little Detroit, and the cars coming out of all these factories are doggone good.

We're seeing new auto component factories being built all around the Huntsville area right now, and the Toyota/Mazda building is going up fast. Now Toyota's got to figure out what vehicle they're going to build as they're changing their minds right now.

And all the while, Nissan's little Canton truck factory is like a stepchild over there by itself.
    Great to hear when auto manufacturers are building plants in this country. Especially while GM is now importing one of the Buick SUV's from China. I would never, never, never buy a vehicle imported from China.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Excuse me on the mistake. Nissan has been a good neighbor in Middle Tennessee for many years, and they've been a bright light in a great economy. So good that GM built Saturn close by.

Once you have a couple of manufacturers close together, you have component suppliers working for both. Throw in Honda and Mercedes in Alabama and in comes Hyundai and Kia to the Deep South. And Toyota makes Corollas in Tupelo area and is building a major factory in Huntsville right now. The region is now Little Detroit, and the cars coming out of all these factories are doggone good.

We're seeing new auto component factories being built all around the Huntsville area right now, and the Toyota/Mazda building is going up fast. Now Toyota's got to figure out what vehicle they're going to build as they're changing their minds right now.

And all the while, Nissan's little Canton truck factory is like a stepchild over there by itself.
    Let's not forget VW's Chattanooga, TN plant as well. As already mentioned, Nissan's NAHQ is now outside of Nashville, with that huge plant nearby as well as a DC. To your point, lots of component suppliers now located across middle TN, NC, SC & AL.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved my 2016 Titan XD turbo diesel. Only reason I got rid of it was because I needed a 1-ton dually for the Riverstone. That truck had power to spare, rode like a luxury car, and never gave me a lick of trouble. If Nissan/Cummins were ever to make a 1-ton dually, I would get one in a heartbeat.

How many of you who are knocking it actually owned one?
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    I loved my 2016 Titan XD turbo diesel. Only reason I got rid of it was because I needed a 1-ton dually for the Riverstone. That truck had power to spare, rode like a luxury car, and never gave me a lick of trouble. If Nissan/Cummins were ever to make a 1-ton dually, I would get one in a heartbeat.

How many of you who are knocking it actually owned one?
    Never owned one and not knocking it, just don't care for Nissan autos (except Murano) or trucks. Don't care for Toyota trucks either. BTW really like the Riverstone line. Not too sure if I would buy another GD, maybe.
    Last edited by Brewhedd; 08-30-2019 at 06:24 PM.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the new model full size Nissans as they look like a Ford. I like the big Toyota truck too, but it's especially a gas hog running essentially Lexus V-8's.

But I worked for Ford 24 years, and my SuperDuty diesel has too many miles left in it to get rid of at only 17 years old (145K miles.) I just run it once or twice a week, but when you need the power and towing ability, it's there.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not criticize Nissan for their Nissan Frontier and its dated design. I am towing my 18RBE with one and i like it. ALOT. Yeah it's a dated. Its kind of loud under heavy acceleration and has only a 5 speed automatic transmission. But for towing our 5,200 lb (fully loaded) rig it is rock steady and actually a bit of fun. I've been towing lighter weight things (less than 8,000 lbs) for 40 years, mostly boats and heavy cargo trailers. I've towed with products made by Ford, GM, Dodge Jeep, Toyota and Nissan. Until I bought a 2003 Toyota 4Runner with a V8 gas engine I thought Toyota made the most reliable vehicles. My 4Runner convinced me otherwise, with its junky new electronicly contrrolled transmission, bad engine control modules, and 2 blown catalytic converters. The Jeeps had oil leaks, my Dodge Durango ate expensive sensors every 15,000 miles. My Ford and GM cars loved lighting the engine light just about every time they were due for their emissions test. The most trouble I EVER had with any of my dated looking Nissans (Xterra and Frontier) was the sensor on the 2013 Pro4X Xterra's electronic locking differential... When i bought the Frontier I got a 4WD without that differential option.

I happen to like the fact that my simple dated design Nissan Frontier has proven reliable technology that's been used (and tweaked) for 15 years. I know I could get a Ford 150 that would get better gas mileage, higher horsepower and torque ratings. But I don't trust a gas engine that relies on turbo or supercharging for much of its power. Certainly not one made by Ford. I lived thru Ford's "experiments" with small turbo charged gas engines in the 1970s thru the 2000s. It was not much fun. In my case, they took a perfectly reliable 2.4 liter 4 banger that worked great in their smal cars, then turbocharged it into a hot mess that needed to be rebuilt at 80,000 miles or so.

Bottom line is that they all have issues. Find one that you like and that is rated to tow a bit more than you think you will need by 15 to 20%.

But before you drop 5 or 6 figures, take a look at Consumer Report's quality review tables for used cars. See how well a 3-5 year old model rates. And for lord's sake, stay away of any vehicle that is in the first year of a major redesign. That's what killed me with the 4Runner.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no issues with either a Chevy or a Ford truck, Rams - not so much. Personal opinion. The big Nissan camel engine was terrible, may it rest in piece.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...m-test-review/
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I agree the Titan diesel was a mistake. But so is the Pro-4X option package. The Bilstein shocks on my Xterra were way too soft. I swaped out the shock bumpers with Timbrens because it would bottom out with just four people inside and the electronic locking differential was an annoyance because of sensor issues. The Frontier/Xterra is a much better vehicle, esp without the diesel and Pro4X options. You can still get 4WD, and a higher row rating without Pro4X.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    The price for Titan with diesel was very high; when I first saw initial price I knew it wouldn't sell. Cummins probably sells more diesel engines than Ford and GM combined. They are largest supplier for motor homes along with other applications like in construction industry and Dodge trucks. Dodge is now having issues after software upgrade took some of zip out of performance of their diesel trucks to past emission test.
    Actually, the largest seller of diesel engines in the world are those produced by FCA (Fiat/Chrysler) and all of their affiliated companies. That includes many non-FCA European car makers running diesels in their econoboxes, Case and New Holland tractors and industrial equipment, Kobelco, Man heavy trucks, the English taxi cabs, and Iveco trucks. Many small ships and fishing fleets are also running FCA engines. They sell more diesel engines than Navistar, Cummins and Caterpillar combined.

After VW was caught in a major diesel engine scandal, FCA was also looked at closely, and they had to pay $800 million penalties. As of now, they're getting out of diesel engines for automobiles and joining the rest of the world switching to Hybrids and Full Electric vehicles in the future.

I'm thinking the Cummins diesel used in the Nissan 1/2 ton truck was originally pitched to Toyota for their 1/2 ton trucks. Cummins built an entirely new factory and hired something like 350 new employees to make the engine--and something happened to where Toyota pulled out of the deal. Cummins pitched the diesel engine to Nissan for a price they cannot turn down.

Before Nissan came out with their new model pickup, Ford sold more pickups in one week than Nissan sold in an entire year. That's pretty staggering. Nissan should have kept truck production in Middle Tennessee rather than Canton, Mississippi where the quality of workmanship is just not that good.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Never understood what customer base this truck was built for. Other than a few that wanted a diesel in a mid sized truck, one was still left with a mid sized truck with mid sized truck capabilities. Add the extra weight of a diesel and this truck had very low payload numbers but came with a full sized truck price.
    I've never known why any manufacturer would need a "light" diesel in a pickup that may only have a 1500 lb. cargo carrying capability. At almost $5000 price differential, very few owners will ever recover their investment in the higher price.

There again, I don't know why Ford needs a 3.3, 2.7, 5.0, 3.5 and 3.0 diesel engine lineup--something for everyone. That's ridiculous. I can see that without the 5.0 Coyote in pickup trucks, Ford couldn't afford to build a Mustang GT engine on its own.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast