User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got a call from my dealer. I have one wheels axle seal leaking. They will fix that one under warranty. I am having them repack the others and adjust the brakes. Don
    2014 Reflection 303//2013 Ram 2500 turbo diesel Spring, TEXAS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wandering, for the ones with leaking seals, do you have a zerk fitting to grease the bearing, and if so have you greased the bearings with it. Or do you have to hand pack the bearings. My 385 has the zerk but seriously thinking just to for go that and hand pack them. It has been raining since Sunday and have not been able to check mine yet.

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Posting for the 2nd time... If you use the zerks, turn the wheel. For your yearly maintenance, make sure you repack them and replace the seals. I picked mine up for $24 for the set.
    Ct..
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootie View Post
    Just wandering, for the ones with leaking seals, do you have a zerk fitting to grease the bearing, and if so have you greased the bearings with it. Or do you have to hand pack the bearings. My 385 has the zerk but seriously thinking just to for go that and hand pack them. It has been raining since Sunday and have not been able to check mine yet.
    DO NOT rely on the zerks to grease the bearings. If too much grease is pumped in, it could push the seals out of the hub and you may never know it until the brakes fail due to grease on them. Many tire stores can do the repack for far less than most RV shops would charge. My RV dealer wanted $170 per axel (plus parts) for a repack. My local tire store did the same job for less than half that. Or you can do what Chris did. DIY
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for info . I had read on orher sites the same problem with same manufacture. I was wandering if people with the problem might have used the zerk fitting and by chance blew the seal. Or is this a manufacture problem showing it's ugly head. I hand pack my bearing and have seals availible if I am not comfortable with what I see. Really want a oil bath system but have not researched yet. But if it is not a defective seal, and you do not service with the zerk fitting it should not leak unless installed incorrectly, my thought. But bottom line is preventive maintenance and If unsure check sooner than later. Saves a lot of headaches.

Ultrapapa10
    Mines in the shop there replacing all four backing plates all new seals been in the shop for over four weeks had a list of things that needed to be fixed, If not for JD at GD he's been great on getting this stuf fixed under warranty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up re-packing my bearings (hand packed) and replacing the seals. I took an old seal to one of the local rv dealers to make sure I got the right one. A pair of seals for $3.98.. All four seals for less than $8.00, not too bad.
    Jim and Kerry
    2014 Solitude 369RL
    2016 Silverado 3500HD
    Diesel/Allison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a call from my dealer, The right front grease seal leaking but not on the brakes. The right rear the brake drum was full of grease and the magnet was hanging(no brakes). Now they are waiting for parts from GD. I hope the replace all of the brakes as they will be different wear on them. Don
    2014 Reflection 303//2013 Ram 2500 turbo diesel Spring, TEXAS

BratsMonster
    Just a thought...

What's the possibility of installing "Bearing Buddies" like what's used on boats? Or do you think that would definitely fill the brake drum?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the Grand Design trailers have them already. I personally think they are a bad idea. The bearing buddy is useful for boat trailers that get backed into the water and let you force some of the water out of the bearing and the cavity. No such need on a travel trailer. If you need grease, repack, forcing more into the cavity only ends up pushing it past the rear bearing seal onto the brakes.
    Ralph and Sheri Mutchler
    Reflection 303
    Snook, TX

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast